ADVERTISEMENT

Best Performance Ever - Any Sport

I think a few of you need to look up the word dominant. Jordan's flu game was a great accomplishment because he had the flu, but it wasn't a dominating performance or was only notable because he was sick. He had far better games in his career, 100's of them in fact. It was a great performance, but if he didn't have to flu, it was basically an average play off game for him.
I had the same reaction to whomever posted the Kerri Strug thing. It was memorable because of her situation, and the team's situation, but it wasn't the best performance, by far. In fact, the score the American team ended with wouldn't have been good enough to medal in previous Olympics.

Does this Count?

houston_original_display_image.jpg

Reactions: burnthemallralphie
I had the same reaction to whomever posted the Kerri Strug thing. It was memorable because of her situation, and the team's situation, but it wasn't the best performance, by far. In fact, the score the American team ended with wouldn't have been good enough to medal in previous Olympics.

Booooooo . . . .

How can you not include Kobe dropping 81? I tuned in somewhere in the 2nd half to see if he could get to 100. Love him or hate him... Kobe Dropping 81 is impressive

It was the greatest "SCOREBOARD" ever.
No doubt.
No calculations needed.
No qualifications.
No judges cards.

Folks forget that Secretariat ran every Triple Crown race fraction faster than the last.
Was getting FASTER at the end of every race.
Set a record in all 3 Triple Crown races that STILL STAND.

Its one thing to win a Triple Crown by beating mediocre competition.
But Secretariat CRUSHED it.
It was moment of supreme sports beauty.
Where an athlete staked a claim as the best ever.
EVER.
Made the world notice.
Actual. Awe.

I think a few of you need to look up the word dominant. Jordan's flu game was a great accomplishment because he had the flu, but it wasn't a dominating performance or was only notable because he was sick. He had far better games in his career, 100's of them in fact. It was a great performance, but if he didn't have to flu, it was basically an average play off game for him.
I'll stand by his 63 point double overtime effort against a Celtics team that lost only one home game that year, featured 5 future HoFers and is considered among the best of all time. It still stands as the most points ever scored in a playoff game.

Reactions: PtownHoosier
Bad. You could tell then he had nothing left in the tank. That putt was his one chance.

Almost as bad as I felt for Van De Velde going all Tin Cup at Carnoustie.

Pfft, VDV is a Frenchmen, right? Sucked, but I didn't feel for him like I did Tom. Hell, I'm not even sure I knew who he was at the time.

Like you said, that putt was his chance. I listened to him recap it, and he and his caddie both agreed on the club (8 iron i think) and he hit it perfect. The vagaries of a links course: it took a bad bounce, but the shot he hit, he thought it would be a tap in, and likely would have been if not on a links course, or even a links course much of the time.

I thought Watson got another nut kick from the Ryder Cup team last year. Even if he wasn't a great coach, you're pros, just go win your f'n matches you bunch of whiners. It's not that complicated: beat the guy(s) you are playing, and then team chemistry will be magical.

Pfft, VDV is a Frenchmen, right? Sucked, but I didn't feel for him like I did Tom. Hell, I'm not even sure I knew who he was at the time.

Like you said, that putt was his chance. I listened to him recap it, and he and his caddie both agreed on the club (8 iron i think) and he hit it perfect. The vagaries of a links course: it took a bad bounce, but the shot he hit, he thought it would be a tap in, and likely would have been if not on a links course, or even a links course much of the time.

I thought Watson got another nut kick from the Ryder Cup team last year. Even if he wasn't a great coach, you're pros, just go win your f'n matches you bunch of whiners. It's not that complicated: beat the guy(s) you are playing, and then team chemistry will be magical.
Agreed on the Ryder Cup. The Americans keep losing because they aren't as good at match play, not because of the team captain.

Muhammad Ali vs George Foreman in Kinshasa, Zaire. An argument could be made for one of the Frazier fights, but considering most thought Foreman would clobber him I'll go with that. The combo he threw to KO George was a thing of beauty.

Last edited:
Tiger Woods 2000 U.S. Open at Pebble Beach. Won by 15 strokes, only player under par. Jack's win in 86 Masters was my favorite but Tiger's domination in that Open was unparalleled.

Last edited:
Reactions: C-$ and hoosierdug
Tiger Woods 2000 U.S. Open at Pebble Beach. Won by 15 strokes, only player under par. Jack's win in 86 Masters was my favorite but Tiger's domination in that Open was unparalleled as far as domination.
Yeah, when I brought up Jack, I was specifically thinking of his Sunday charge on the back 9.

Tiger Woods 2000 U.S. Open at Pebble Beach. Won by 15 strokes, only player under par. Jack's win in 86 Masters was my favorite but Tiger's domination in that Open was unparalleled.
Forgot about that! The others were struggling to get to red numbers and he was firing at pins and absolutely destroying the course. Relative to his peers, I don't think there's been a more dominant performance by a male athlete in my lifetime.

Last edited:
Johnny Miller's final round 63 to win the '73 US Open has to be considered. I wasn't alive to see it, but that was damn impressive.

Money players make money plays at money time.

Question regarding this because I don't know anything about horse racing... There are 5 horses out there. I don't think I've ever seen just 5 horse race one of the big 3.
The big thing the talked about after the last race was how there were horses training just for the Belmont. Hadn't raced in The Preakness or Derby.
Wouldn't more horses racing, especially if they're focusing on just one race make the triple crown that much harder?

Still hadn't seen that race before, it was indeed impressive

Question regarding this because I don't know anything about horse racing... There are 5 horses out there. I don't think I've ever seen just 5 horse race one of the big 3.
The big thing the talked about after the last race was how there were horses training just for the Belmont. Hadn't raced in The Preakness or Derby.
Wouldn't more horses racing, especially if they're focusing on just one race make the triple crown that much harder?

Still hadn't seen that race before, it was indeed impressive
That can be a problem. From my point of view, it seems the biggest hurdle is the extra 1/4 mile. Most Triple Crown contenders seem to fade at the end and get passed coming to the wire.

Money players make money plays at money time.

Let me add this -- When Joan Benoit won the inaugural womens olympics, she looked like Secretariat in doing so. She ran off and left the field.

She finished at 2:24:52, kicking the butts of two of the top women of the day, Grete Waitz (2:26:18) and Rosa Mota 2:26:57. For you non-runners to understand this, just imagine watching Benoit run past a tree in your front yard and then keep staring at the tree for 1-2 minutes waiting for the second place finisher to pass the tree. That's how big a lead she had, running at a sub-6-minute pace.

There was a famous scene in the TV coverage that day when Benoit, after running off to a big lead, turned around to look behind her to see who was following. However, no one was following her. When she turned back to the front, she shook her head in disbelief because she couldn't believe no one was trying to keep up with her in the most prestigious womens race of all time. She was the only one willing to take a chance to make history. She kicked ass, basically.

Best Performance Ever???

Gotta be Barbara Dare

(Sorry...no video)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT