ADVERTISEMENT

Benter put the hurt on a rim last night.

That Brownstown kid committed to Purdue "Daryl Dawkins-ed" a backboard last night against Silver Creek.
I've only seen one other high school player do that, and that was Josh Grant from Taylor at the Howard County Tournament my Sophomore year back in 2000 in the Eastern High School gym. They had to finish the game in the auxiliary gym (which only held about 300 or 400 people) and the radio broadcasters had to call in to the radio station with their cell phones to continue broadcasting the game.

And here's Flory Bidunga posterizing a Harrison player at last night's Kokomo game

That Brownstown kid committed to Purdue "Daryl Dawkins-ed" a backboard last night against Silver Creek.
I’m from Brownstown. Played in that gym. Love Benter and his dad. A good buddy is an assistant. All that said, I’m not sure how that’s not a tech.

Reactions: Brockway
I’m from Brownstown. Played in that gym. Love Benter and his dad. A good buddy is an assistant. All that said, I’m not sure how that’s not a tech.
Why would it be a tech? Normal dunk, then the rim have out.

Reactions: brianiu
Hung and swung. No tech for that anymore?
Only reason he hung is because the backboard broke. That's nothing more than a normal dunk until he had to hang to protect himself. It's not a good idea to let go as soon as momentum unexpectedly shifts. But every person that dunks is allowed to swing their feet back under them.

Pre back board breaking, he wasn't on the rim any longer than flory above.

Reactions: brianiu
Only reason he hung is because the backboard broke. That's nothing more than a normal dunk until he had to hang to protect himself. It's not a good idea to let go as soon as momentum unexpectedly shifts. But every person that dunks is allowed to swing their feet back under them.

Pre back board breaking, he wasn't on the rim any longer than flory above.
Illogical

I've got a video of it maybe I can upload, but I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find floating around out there in digital world.
I’ve seen it. Multiple times. There was no one under him. That used to be the only legitimate reason to hang. Maybe the rules have changed.

I’ve seen it. Multiple times. There was no one under him. That used to be the only legitimate reason to hang. Maybe the rules have changed.
Momentum. If he let's go while his momentum is shifting forward still, he likely lands on his back. Then rim gave out while he was still going forward. Once it gives, if he let's go, he lands in glass and likely cuts himself way worse than he did

• Haha
Reactions: hookyIU1990
Have you ever dunked, besides a five foot nerf goal in your bedroom/basement?
C’mon man. I’ve dunked on 7 and 8-foot goals all over the state. I’ll admit, it’s been a few years. Don’t have the hops like I used to. 😂

If it wasn't originally, it's been a rule for a long time that you could hold onto the rim to regain your balance and protect yourself. Didn't watch it, but that's been allowed for a long time.

If it wasn't originally, it's been a rule for a long time that you could hold onto the rim to regain your balance and protect yourself. Didn't watch it, but that's been allowed for a long time.
There wasn't anyone under him. He got by his man and help side kind of did an "ole" and got out of the way. Didn't look like he really hung on it until it gave way.

Reactions: outside shooter
There wasn't anyone under him. He got by his man and help side kind of did an "ole" and got out of the way. Didn't look like he really hung on it until it gave way.

If you look at the still image pictures taken in rapid succession as he goes up, it gave almost immediately. So it was just hanging on so he didn't fall in the glass and get hurt worse than he did

Reactions: mathboy
If you look at the still image pictures taken in rapid succession as he goes up, it gave almost immediately. So it was just hanging on so he didn't fall in the glass and get hurt worse than he did
Thanks for dumbing down my response so your fellow purdoo trolls could understand.

It looked to me like he hung on the rim for a bit to slow his momentum as he came in a little hot. There was no one directly underneath him. Maybe should have been a T but they aren't gonna call that on him at Brownstown.

Reactions: kkott
You couldn't be more wrong throughout this thread.
It was an awkward dunk.
Leaping ability is not one of Benter's major attributes, and he ain't a lightweight.
His body was already travelling downward when his hands grabbed the rim. Both hands were primarily on the front of the rim.
You can clearly see the front of the rim dip 1-3" before the glass broke. The glass broke when his arms became fully extended, thus putting the force of his entire body on the front of the rim. His body was also travelling at an unusual angle towards the baseline.
He put a tremendous, inordinate amount of stress on the front of that rim.
You want to compare that to Bidunga's dunk?
Bidunga's hands are a little more to the side of the rim, not putting as much stress on the front of the rim.
More importantly, Bidunga's body / weight is still traveling upward as he grabs the rim & pulls upwards. Bidunga didn't put anywhere near the amount of stress on the rim that Benter did.

You couldn't be more wrong throughout this thread.
It was an awkward dunk.
Leaping ability is not one of Benter's major attributes, and he ain't a lightweight.
His body was already travelling downward when his hands grabbed the rim. Both hands were primarily on the front of the rim.
You can clearly see the front of the rim dip 1-3" before the glass broke. The glass broke when his arms became fully extended, thus putting the force of his entire body on the front of the rim. His body was also travelling at an unusual angle towards the baseline.
He put a tremendous, inordinate amount of stress on the front of that rim.
You want to compare that to Bidunga's dunk?
Bidunga's hands are a little more to the side of the rim, not putting as much stress on the front of the rim.
More importantly, Bidunga's body / weight is still traveling upward as he grabs the rim & pulls upwards. Bidunga didn't put anywhere near the amount of stress on the rim that Benter did.
Tell me more about Benters leaping ability and weight... so what you are telling me is he shouldn't have dunked that? Or you just telling me the physics to why a backboard broke? Of it is the later, I agree. If it's the former, I think 6'6 185 players should be allowed to dunk if they can throw it down.

Tell me more about Benters leaping ability and weight
He was at the outer edges of his ability, that's why it was awkward / out of control.

so what you are telling me is he shouldn't have dunked that?
He can dunk it, just don't grab & hold the rim. He wasn't under enough control to hang on the rim.
Or you just telling me the physics to why a backboard broke?
I'm telling you, the backboard broke because he recklessly hung on the rim... he didn't hang on the rim because the backboard broke.
A technical foul was warranted.

• Haha
Reactions: Nieman and mk30
Seems like they could reinforce the frame of the backboard more to add more stability. Especially on ceiling mount boards like that for HS. The floor stand one shave more give. Granted it's not a huge issue in HS but would just seem some more steel there behind the glass would help a lot.

Reactions: BoilerN
He was at the outer edges of his ability, that's why it was awkward / out of control.

He can dunk it, just don't grab & hold the rim. He wasn't under enough control to hang on the rim.

I'm telling you, the backboard broke because he recklessly hung on the rim... he didn't hang on the rim because the backboard broke.
He can one hand dunk it. He's more than warranted to dunk. Saying dunking is on the outer edge of his ability is absurd. He dunks through traffic with ease. Might as well ban dunking.

As for hanging, it was an awkward angle, but new backboards are designed to handle that. He has the right to collect himself before letting go. Multiple swungs before letting go, sure. The only reason he was on it as long as he was is because it broke and he felt the shift of his weight and letting go would have ended in worse injuries than sustained.

Seems like they could reinforce the frame of the backboard more to add more stability. Especially on ceiling mount boards like that for HS. The floor stand one shave more give. Granted it's not a huge issue in HS but would just seem some more steel there behind the glass would help a lot.
When you look at college backboards vs those at btown, is there more give or support beyond the college ones being stand alone? I figure it is the same backboard, but could be wrong.

Saying dunking is on the outer edge of his ability is absurd.
I didn't say that. That particular play was at the edge. He barely pulled it off... was already descending... ball barely cleared the rim... that's why it was awkward... that's why he didn't have control of his body.
The only reason he was on it as long as he was is because it broke
It broke because he hung on the rim. You're the one that said it broke immediately. It did not break immediately. It broke after he hung on the rim, with no control of his body, which put tremendous weight on the front of the rim.

When you look at college backboards vs those at btown, is there more give or support beyond the college ones being stand alone? I figure it is the same backboard, but could be wrong.
You can see the whole arm or whatever you want to call it has flex in major college and pro boards. I think Dukes are still ceiling hung. That rim didn't seem to have much flex in it. Maybe a cost issue in HS as many probably never have anyone dunk all year. Celtics game a few weeks ago Robert Williams dunked from the side, flexed the rim and the whole backboard was bouncing. Those ceiling ones have no flex. They had a 40 min delay, he didnt break the backboard but threw the rim off level.

Maybe , but that was a bad backboard and broke really quick. It's not like he was trying to do a chin up and show the other team up. I'm sure he had no clue it would break and imagine being in that situation and your reaction to it

You can see the whole arm or whatever you want to call it has flex in major college and pro boards. I think Dukes are still ceiling hung. That rim didn't seem to have much flex in it. Maybe a cost issue in HS as many probably never have anyone dunk all year. Celtics game a few weeks ago Robert Williams dunked from the side, flexed the rim and the whole backboard was bouncing. Those ceiling ones have no flex. They had a 40 min delay, he didnt break the backboard but threw the rim off level.
That makes sense. I'm sure there is different "qualities" of backboard as well. Guessing that one just had a fault and will be going back to the company.

Reactions: Crayfish57
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT