ADVERTISEMENT

Beggars/homeless

Nope, Mark and Goat need to set an example. Start a homeless rescue.
I bet todays purple hair, overweight, lesbian + teachers would love to advertise their rescue Grandpa, that she/it lost track of over the years. " I had to dump him after the holiday pics, it just got weird after that" says one loyal follower that used to be a house mother at a Sorority at IU.
It could be like "A christmas Story" made in 2024.
Th Catholic Church (who they loathe and belittle) does more to help the hungry in a weekend than they will do in a lifetime. Progressives are always about helping others until it comes to their own actions.

• Love
Reactions: DANC and jet812
Kids are knocking down a grand + a day,
Maybe transfer the worry to our vets.
I've got plenty of sympathy for our vets. My dad's one.

Tough not to sympathize with these Venezualans, though:

Reactions: DANC
Th Catholic Church (who they loathe and belittle) does more to help the hungry in a weekend than they will do in a lifetime. Progressives are always about helping others until it comes to their own actions.
Since they are all about the over looked, the marginalized... It's funny that their policy efforts, are working to make them all neighbors and future keen folk of the Blue Fugates of western Kentucky. Just think, all progressive dem's having a blue tint to their skin. It'd solve so much.

Not a question of wanting or preferring, but more of capacity.
I'm not sure the research completely backs that up, but that's probably quibbling around the margins. It may not be the case in other parts of the country, but there is definitely a subset (a small one) here in Southern California where it is a lifestyle choice.

The larger point is that the reasons why someone is without a home are varied. They are typically as unique as the people themselves and the keys to getting them reconnected into productive society are likewise complex.

Last edited:
I've got plenty of sympathy for our vets. My dad's one.

Tough not to sympathize with these Venezualans, though:

If I'm in problem solv mode, I concentrate on the steps that caused this, terrible plight. I hold those responsible, accountable. and I block the funnel. This is the triage step.

The "venezualans" paid $10k+ to get there, all have $1,500 iphones and calvin Joe Biden underwear, with another $175 of cloths on their backs. I've got 100 things to feel, sympathy isn't in that list. This is a 100% American made, intentional problem.
I've no give a shits left to offer. I've got to be real.

Reactions: 76-1
If I'm in problem solv mode, I concentrate on the steps that caused this, terrible plight. I hold those responsible, accountable. and I block the funnel. This is the triage step.

The "venezualans" paid $10k+ to get there, all have $1,500 iphones and calvin Joe Biden underwear, with another $175 of cloths on their backs. I've got 100 things to feel, sympathy isn't in that list. This is a 100% American made, intentional problem.
I've no give a shits left to offer. I've got to be real.
How does the US control Venezuelan economic policy?

By not buying their oil, utilizing our own oil, and ramping up sanctions...

Seems like I recall reading about that happening a few years back...
That will cut down on the number of poor people coming here?

By not buying their oil, utilizing our own oil, and ramping up sanctions...

Seems like I recall reading about that happening a few years back...
Has the US ever sanctioned any nation into becoming a better economy?

Iran, N Korea, Russia, Cuba. We've been doing that for 50+years to some of these nations. It doesn't work. I'm not saying we should give them money, either. Just pointing out the facts.

Reactions: hoosboot
It is going to be hard to balance the schedule between the satanic occult prayer group, the trans beauty pageant, and the elementary school communist indoctrination steering committee meeting to get to my volunteer shift at a Catholic shelter near downtown L.A. tomorrow night.

Do I tell Sister Anne to pound sand because an insecure infant on a message board said I think she sucks rotten eggs or skip the wild animal sacrifice in the name of Asmodeus? It's grueling work living up to the progressive caricatures in Farva's mind.

Just now, I stopped by my local Starbucks to grab a pick me up espresso for the afternoon.

As I’m walking into the store, there’s a panhandler, dirty, kid about 20. Little cardboard sign, ratty clothes. He quietly asks if I can buy him “a coffee.”

Normally I say no or ignore, but a coffee? Why not. I say “you want a coffee? Sure kid. What size?”

His response: “ just a small mocha cookie crumble”.

“What?”

He repeats it.

I just started laughing out loud. “You’re kidding me?”

“No sir.”

“You really want some sugar, huh. Ok. Give me a minute.”

I’m sitting here waiting for it to be made. Anyone want to guess what it cost me?

I would have said no but offered to buy a spinach feta wrap or something nutritious.

I know, right? I

I was laughing so hard at the absurdity of it, especially the part about me feeling I was duty bound to buy this kid a mocha cookie frappaccino just because I said I'd buy him a coffee.
I've been panhandled at gas stations too.

They ask for $5 for gas so they "can get home" but always balk when I offer to go inside and put $5 on the pump they are occupying. For some reason they want the cash instead.

Oh Lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz?
I'm still waiting for the report of one our our posters here, taking in one or two homeless into their own home. Actually proving how devoutly better they are than everyone else.
Anyone here given a homeless a room and structured life? Anyone? Anybody? What Would Goat Do?
An acquaintance invited a homeless man to her home for a Thanksgiving meal. That was good.

Then, he showed up on Christmas Day with a woman/wife/whatever and several kids and later they dropped by on a random weekend. She had trouble discontinuing his visits.

To some, kindness is interpreted as weakness.

Besides, how far can they get with a 1/2 gallon of gas? :cool:
Whenever I see a panhandler, I automatically recall Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes story, The Man With The Twisted Lip," which was published in 1891.

Essentially, the plot is that a man who is a former newspaper reporter is able to collect large amounts of money by wearing dirty makeup and shaggy wigs and begging for money as a vagrant on the street, fooling his wife as to his true occupation:

No, the story doesn't prove that vagrants and beggars were really deceitful millionaires, but it does illustrate that the public has had suspicions about panhandlers since at least 1891 (or Doyle's story would not have been published).

Reactions: larsIU
I've been panhandled at gas stations too.

They ask for $5 for gas so they "can get home" but always balk when I offer to go inside and put $5 on the pump they are occupying. For some reason they want the cash instead.
I went to school and worked in downtown Chicago MANY years ago. One of the first things I learned was: You never, ever, ever, ever put money in somebody's hand. They are going drink it, smoke it, snort it,... Or it's a scam.

Had a woman ask for cash to fix her car. White woman, Burberry coat, good shoes. Told her I was going to be late for an appointment, I'd catch her on the way back(both true). She wasn't there. Saw her a couple of days later giving the same spiel to another guy. I walked by a he was pulling out his wallet. As I walked by I said: "Still trying to get that car fixed?" She glared and scurried off.

So by 21 I was an untrusting bastard.

I went to school and worked in downtown Chicago MANY years ago. One of the first things I learned was: You never, ever, ever, ever put money in somebody's hand. They are going drink it, smoke it, snort it,... Or it's a scam.

Had a woman ask for cash to fix her car. White woman, Burberry coat, good shoes. Told her I was going to be late for an appointment, I'd catch her on the way back(both true). She wasn't there. Saw her a couple of days later giving the same spiel to another guy. I walked by a he was pulling out his wallet. As I walked by I said: "Still trying to get that car fixed?" She glared and scurried off.

So by 21 I was an untrusting bastard.
Yeah I need money for gas was the other way

It is going to be hard to balance the schedule between the satanic occult prayer group, the trans beauty pageant, and the elementary school communist indoctrination steering committee meeting to get to my volunteer shift at a Catholic shelter near downtown L.A. tomorrow night.

Do I tell Sister Anne to pound sand because an insecure infant on a message board said I think she sucks rotten eggs or skip the wild animal sacrifice in the name of Asmodeus? It's grueling work living up to the progressive caricatures in Farva's mind.
Not a bad dig Hoos, but when the President is passing executive action that allows males who identify as female to use the female bathroom under Title 9, I am not the one who is overreacting.

The party you support is evil and morally benighted

If that would have been a hooky family reunion, everyone would have told Uncle Donny to put the knife down before he got hurt.
At a DANC family reunion, the guy would have been staring down the barrel of about 9 handguns. And probably a shotgun or two after my cousins who are cops went to their squad cars.

That's my dad's side of my family. Uncle Donny is based on a real uncle of mine. Last I knew he'd gotten out of jail and was living in a trailer* in the woods cooking meth.

*horse trailer
Living on the Tippecanoe or Wabash?

• Haha
Reactions: hookyIU1990
Anyone here have an "undocumented" house keeper?
giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Street people are rarely there by choice, and even those that are obviously aren't capable of making rational decisions. The vast majority are mentally ill; those who are simply drunks or druggies without some kind of underlying mental pathology are few.
I don't know about that. In Charlotte, they seem pretty with it. Most aren't standing around mumbling to themselves. They're on a traffic island, dangerously close to speeding traffic. Then walking by the cars when they stop for the light.

Don't get me wrong - there are some sad cases and anyone who legitimately asks for help should get it. But not able bodied people standing in traffic.

The one that always gets me, even though I know better, is when there is an adult with kids on a relatively non-busy corner/sidewalk and they are 'raising money to send kids to camp' type stuff. I give every time. I figure I may hit on a legitimate one every once in a while.

Yeah they do that here. In front of Trader Joe’s and two highway exits. Kids my minions age. I don’t know what’s going on. I gave one a personal contact at United way and they acted like they didn’t want it. Im of two minds with those kids being out there all day
I remember women in Paris would beg, with their infants in their laps. The infants looked like they were drugged - and I think they were, to keep them from crying from being out in the weather all day.

Thing is, each of those gypsies had quotas to make. The money didn't go to them.

But it was heartbreaking, nonetheless.

I'll just say this...

I spent the majority of the first 3 decades of my career working in commercial and consumer banking and finance. I then spent nearly a decade working for not for profits with challenged adults, substance abuse, DV victims and the homeless. My wife has spent her entire career working with folks with those issues.

I have never once been stopped by a former client from the finance industry and thanked for my wise investment advice that allowed them to retire early or that great loan rate that allowed them to buy their dream home or the line of credit that kept their small business afloat. While I know I helped hundreds, if not thousands, of people achieve their financial goals over the years there was no direct validation that I actually made a difference.

OTOH, I am often reminded of the work I did and that my wife continues to do in the social services sector. We often bump into folks who we assisted, who stop us and update us on their lives and how far they've come. These are members of our community who finally hit their bottom, reached out for help and got their lives back on track. They have a pride and gratitude born from achieving their goals in spite of struggle and setbacks, whether self inflicted or no fault of their own. Most of the folks we assisted over the years were still falling, not ready or able to address the root causes of their plight. The ones who were worked the programs offered and got it done. Either way even those who were still on the way down found a respite. however brief, from the struggles they faced.

So the next time you encounter someone and are moved to help, do so. Yeah, the majority are just there to get enough money to self medicate, I won't argue otherwise. Just be assured that no kindness is too small. No interpersonal interaction too brief. Humanize those who we often, through our own coping mechanism, would dehumanize. Even the simplest of actions you take could be the impetus or catalyst towards a meaningful change in a person's life.

If you want more of something, subsidize it.

The reason we continue to have a large underclass.
Many years ago I had an office in the city next to “the bum park.” It was probably 25 yards by 25 yards fenced in. One day I looked down and there was a couple sleeping under a tree in the corner. Few weeks later they had a little coffee table next to it where they would eat. Few weeks after that I looked out my window in dismay to see that they had an entire bed!! Full size or whatever. And they were in it. Snoozin. The following week they had a dresser too. I walked by and nodded to them. Like that Robert Redford Jeremiah johnson nod.

It only lasted a short while and the park was raided and they were run out and their furniture thrown away. The tree empty.

The Thursday night of that week I went out and got absolutely bombed. Birds game. Titty bars. All of it. The next morning I had forgotten something from my office so I threw on shorts and a t shirt and ran down there. It was 97 degrees out. I opened the car door. Threw up on the sidewalk and went up the elevator to my office. When I came down I had a boot on my car for unpaid parking tickets. I walked 11 blocks to the parking office to pay my tickets. Threw up twice on the walk. They only took cash. Walked four more blocks to the bank and then back. Threw up again. Paid the tickets and was promised everything would be fine. I walked 11 blocks back to my car and when I got there it was gone. Towed. I walked over to the bum park to throw up again and then I sat under that tree and cried and planned on just staying there. Living with them. I talked to two of them and they agreed the city is no good. I got my energy together after living with the homeless and called a cab to where my car was towed. It was a leased Audi and the paperwork wasn’t on me or in the car so I had to take a cab home to get it. I brought it back but bc it was leased and no title they wouldn’t release it without a bribe. I threw up all over the floor of their office. I told them I paid $1,300 in parking tickets and I’m not playing the bribe game. And I’m not cleaning up my vomit.

I went outside and called my crew of cops. They rolled in with a paddy wagon and 2 seconds later came out with my car and my keys. No paperwork.

For about ten hours I lived homeless in the city. That more don’t just kill themselves is shocking to me. Only people with terrible addictions or mental health issues could survive that life. You can’t have furniture and the government agencies lie

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT