ADVERTISEMENT

Bart Torvik

BA47591

Redshirt
Apr 11, 2024
S. Indiana
Highly regarded analytics guy that I've found to be depressing accurate in terms of IU the past 2 years, has IU rated 31st with 3rd most talented roster. 18-10, 11-9.

If he's as close this year as he was last year,,,,,

Highly regarded analytics guy that I've found to be depressing accurate in terms of IU the past 2 years, has IU rated 31st with 3rd most talented roster. 18-10, 11-9.

If he's as close this year as he was last year,,,,,
He changed his method this summer ..

His preseason system is flawed in concept and his recent addition of adding BPM (box plus/minus) will probably highlight that flaw even more. It doesn't account and can't account for synergy.

Example: Purdue's players who played off Edey and the defensive focus Edey required most likely have elevated efficiency and BPM because of him. More open shots, less defensive focus etc ..

BPM is especially stupid in the Purdue example. The players who played with the two time national player of the year earned + in that stat while they were on the floor with him.

He's no better than people polls in preseason rankings ..

Of note: Adding bpm dropped IU appx 10 to 15 spots. Makes sense because we have transfers coming from losing teams. It's a good system for teams returning a vast majority of their possessions but probably a poor system for anyone else.

Last edited:
Transfers from losing teams? Rice and Ballou came from winning teams as did Goode. Carlyle is the only player from a losing team.

Transfers from losing teams? Rice and Ballou came from winning teams as did Goode. Carlyle is the only player from a losing team.
Yea, bad on my part. I just wanted to point out that using box BPM as a predictor of future success is silly. The players bringing the metric down through BPM are probably the returning guys.

I got lazy, sue me ..

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT