ADVERTISEMENT

Banks' Summer

hookyIU1990

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 26, 2007
It sounds like Banks has been working his butt off this summer and it's led to noticable improvement.

“The name we didn’t even mention was Kaleb Banks, who I’m told has made some significant strides this summer and is even staying on campus when when a lot of the other players have gone home,” Finkelstein said. “They’re expecting a big jump from him as a sophomore.”

You knew it had to be someone. It’s always is about this time of year. Hope it’s actually true for once.
I hope it's true too. I really like the kid's game. He's got a nose for the ball and puts himself in good positions on the court. It just looked like things were happening a bit too fast for him at times because he was thinking instead of just playing. If it's slowed down for him, he'd be a great piece coming off the bench.

I hope it's true too. I really like the kid's game. He's got a nose for the ball and puts himself in good positions on the court. It just looked like things were happening a bit too fast for him at times because he was thinking instead of just playing. If it's slowed down for him, he'd be a great piece coming off the bench.
Agreed. Wish he would have gotten all of Geronimo/Bates minutes.

The one thing I wonder about with KB, is where does he play? He obviously looks the part of a 3 in a traditional system, but I almost wonder if they're not considering playing him more like a 2? He seemed to move really well and was more fluid than I expected. You would think he would be a matchup nightmare for the opposing guards and if he could keep in front of them, would cause issues on the defensive end too. Just a thought since we didn't really push hard for another transfer guard.

So the reports are KB is making the transition to full contributor, if needed.
What are the reports surrounding Gunn?
The one thing I wonder about with KB, is where does he play? He obviously looks the part of a 3 in a traditional system, but I almost wonder if they're not considering playing him more like a 2? He seemed to move really well and was more fluid than I expected. You would think he would be a matchup nightmare for the opposing guards and if he could keep in front of them, would cause issues on the defensive end too. Just a thought since we didn't really push hard for another transfer guard.
Yeah, but just as he might be tough for a traditional sized 2 to cover, he also might struggle defending there on the other end, if it's an opponent who has a solid handle and drive game. I'd guess he'll be looked at as a "wing" and his spot will largely be defined by who he can guard.

I'd think he's very close to Mgbako in size, so I would think backing him up at the 3 or 4 (my guess is he'd be more comfortable guarding a small 4 vs a quick 2) would be his primary minutes and if he can steal minutes at the 2 all the better!

Reactions: Bucket Getter
I could be wrong, but he seems like an athletic, off the ball, effort guy. Troy Williams comes to mind. I haven’t seen enough yet though.

I could be wrong, but he seems like an athletic, off the ball, effort guy. Troy Williams comes to mind. I haven’t seen enough yet though.
Troy was pretty much a freak athletically, and he rode that athleticism almost exclusively and often let his head get him in trouble with bad play. I don't think Banks is quite the run and jump athlete Troy was, but I think he's going to be a better shooter and make good, not dumb plays. Don't see parallels there, I think Banks could end up being a pretty high IQ player, and I'd not say that about Troy.

Is he quick enough to guard a 2?
Good enough from 3 ?

You knew it had to be someone. It’s always is about this time of year. Hope it’s actually true for once.
He certainly had some head scratchers last year, but that is to be expected for a freshman. Overall, his skill set looked very promising, so it wouldn’t surprise me if he were to make a major jump in productivity this year. Hopefully, not just out of necessity

Is he quick enough to guard a 2?
Good enough from 3 ?
Those are the things that we'll need to see play out. Like I said, he surprised me with how fluid he was, so he might be able to keep in front of other 2's...and I thought his shot looked good. Not saying he'll be there, but I just wonder if it couldn't be something they're toying with.

There's very few off guards in the big ten that have the dribble drive game that would scare anyone.

That Illinois guy is the only one that comes to mind. Hoggard or whomever is that matchup maybe?

If he makes that kind of transition he’s NBA bound sooner than later. Been some reports out that he’s heading in the direction you mention.

Reactions: T.M.P.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT