ADVERTISEMENT

Ballou Expected to take Bama Job

IUCX9

Junior
Nov 30, 2018
I have a peegs subscription and this is from the Bama site.

Posted on 4 mins, V I P, User Since 113 months ago, User Post Count: 0
  • 4 minsVIP
  • 113 months
Just spoke to a good source and barring something expected I expect David Ballou to be named Alabama's strength coach by the middle of next week but it could be earlier. Dr. Matt Rhea is expected to come with Ballou with Rhea being more of a speed guy I believe. EIther way they are a package deal I'm told. Also hearing from reliable sources near Ballou that he has informed some people (I'm not sure if all ahve been told) at IU that he is expected to leave for UA and have another source saying there should be announcement sooner rather than later. Again Barring something unexpected but at this stage it sounds like most of the details are worked out.

EDIT: I would like to add that every person I spoke to this week around college programs said that this duo was the best in college football. Bar none and it wasn't close. I've also spoke to a few college coaches that tell me both, but especially Ballou, are formidable recruiting on the recruiting trail.

Also as I said in a thread earlier today and a few times this week there were some guys mentioned as targets who apparently never were among the top choices for Saban. But he did do a lot of research for this role.

Still digging for more.

9670599.jpeg

He's following a bunch of Bama folks on Twitter (per Bama online).

Reactions: red hornet
Damn!

We should have offered everything and anything to keep those two...

Damn!!!
Well, what are ya gonna do? If people continue to use other job offerings as leverage, they're only staying for the money. Eventually those people quit anyway - and they're usually unhappy employees. That's a corporate truism, unfortunately.

I would have hoped very good pay and the chance to really build something at his alma mater would be enough to keep him, but if he wants to go, it's his decision. I'm not in favor of paying outrageously unless it's for a proven HC.

Unlike a lot of folks, I don't think Ballou was the difference between 5-7 and 8-5. I think our schedule had much more to do with it, and that's not a knock on the team. But that's just my opinion, so don't shoot the piano player.

Well, what are ya gonna do? If people continue to use other job offerings as leverage, they're only staying for the money. Eventually those people quit anyway - and they're usually unhappy employees. That's a corporate truism, unfortunately.

I would have hoped very good pay and the chance to really build something at his alma mater would be enough to keep him, but if he wants to go, it's his decision. I'm not in favor of paying outrageously unless it's for a proven HC.

Unlike a lot of folks, I don't think Ballou was the difference between 5-7 and 8-5. I think our schedule had much more to do with it, and that's not a knock on the team. But that's just my opinion, so don't shoot the piano player.

I usually agree with you but in this case we diverge...

The Strength and Conditioning Coaching Staff is, in my opinion, as important as the Head Coach in FBS Football these days. They are "difference makers".

Under the current rules the S&C guys spend more time with the players than the rest of staff is allowed to... If a team that has clearly been one of the top five programs in the country, seemingly forever, wants our guys that tells me we ought to have pulled out ALL of the stops and ALL of the donor leverage possible to keep them...

If it's true that they are already gone I'm more than disappointed...

/////If Fred Glass has put things on "cruise control" till he leaves this summer, we need to speed up the vetting processes on our filling AD position and get someone rapidly in the position who is focused on getting the job done (and understands that FOOTBALL carries the rest of the Athletic Department)...\\\\\

Last edited:
I usually agree with you but in this case we diverge...

The Strength and Conditioning Coaching Staff are, in my opinion, as important as the Head Coach in FBS Football these days. They are "difference makers".

Under the current rules the S&C guys spend more time with the players than the rest of staff is allowed to... If a team that has clearly been one of the top five programs in the country, seemingly forever, wants our guys that tells me we ought to have pulled out ALL of the stops and ALL of the donor leverage possible to keep them...

If it's true that they are already gone I'm more than disappointed...

If Fred Glass has put things on "cruise control" till he leaves this summer, we need to speed up the vetting processes on our filling AD position and get someone rapidly in the position who is focused on getting the job done!
I remember when we got Caton. He came from Baylor, who was supposedly one of the best conditioned teams in the nation. Then when Allen came, we replaced him because we wanted to cut down on inuries.

Everyone thought Wilson took us to another level, and we never heard much about S&C. But now, all of a sudden, a S&C leader is like a head coach?

I get that we're selling it to recruits. it all looks very scientific. But remember when MPH was the big thing? That was the first year. Then the next year, it was all about explosiveness and we forgot about MPH as a measureable. Like they just discovered explosiveness and quickness mattered more than MPH in football.

We supposedly got rid of Caton because we had too many injuries. Well, guess what - we've had some pretty major injuries this year, too. But noboby seems to blame the S&C program.

I understand why people are upset if they're leaving. But I'm more upset with the disruption to the program than I am with losing them, per se. But, as I said, that's just my opinion.

Even with the staff we had last year, we still lost to;

Ohio State.
Michigan.
Penn State.
Michigan State.
Tennessee.

This new blood might not be a bad thing.

Reactions: DANC
Here is a thought on this. I have no problem with anyone who is regarded as one of the top people in their profession moving on and taking what is perceived to be a better job with more pay. My caveat is that the grass isn't always greener.
Think about this. If you go to Alabama and they don't make the Playoff or make the Championship Game every other year, their program has failed. Saban has a history of turnover on his Coaching Staff when things don't go well. Alabama recruits great athletes, and you probably won't get a lot of credit for improving 5 Star Recruits. On the other hand at Indiana your work and results may be more easily measured and more appreciated.

Alabama will most likely have at least 6 and possibly 7 First Round NFL Draft Choices this year. Next Season barring injuries Alabama will have a minimum of 5 First Rounders. Who wouldn’t want to work with the caliber of athletic players that Alabama produces year in and year out? Sure CNS and Alabama football expectations are extremely high but that’s a good thing. If the pair actually leaves IU to go to work for the GOAT at Alabama can you blame them for improving their career and financial situations? No I think not...

If the strength and conditioning program is so outstanding why is it that the Hoosiers are always trying to plug holes on both sides of the line with grad transfers? I’m not saying they aren’t very good at their job. But I don’t think they were miracle workers. They sure got a lot of mileage out of that mph thing.

Alabama will most likely have at least 6 and possibly 7 First Round NFL Draft Choices this year. Next Season barring injuries Alabama will have a minimum of 5 First Rounders. Who wouldn’t want to work with the caliber of athletic players that Alabama produces year in and year out? Sure CNS and Alabama football expectations are extremely high but that’s a good thing. If the pair actually leaves IU to go to work for the GOAT at Alabama can you blame them for improving their career and financial situations? No I think not...

Your post is more an argument against why they should go to Bama. IU would probably match the money. They got noticed here because they can make a difference here. At Bama they will be a very small cog in a big machine and I doubt anything will ever be heard about them again.

It isn't the choice the coaches are making, I get it. This past year was one of the best in IU history. I just wanted to maintain our momentum and consistency and not have to fill as many coaching slots.

Your post is more an argument against why they should go to Bama. IU would probably match the money. They got noticed here because they can make a difference here. At Bama they will be a very small cog in a big machine and I doubt anything will ever be heard about them again.

S&C is as important at Alabama as it is here. If Ballou and Rhea want to end up in the NFL, Alabama is a very logical step in that direction. If they want to just stay in college football, Alabama is at the top of the pyramid, so it is a logical place for them to go. Not sure I get the logic of some of you guys.

Say you're a managing partner at BKD accounting firm, very nice job. Then KPMG or PwC call and offer you the same job there. Are you turning it down? Or do you want to see what it's like at the top of the mountain?

Reactions: jsenleo
S&C is as important at Alabama as it is here. If Ballou and Rhea want to end up in the NFL, Alabama is a very logical step in that direction. If they want to just stay in college football, Alabama is at the top of the pyramid, so it is a logical place for them to go. Not sure I get the logic of some of you guys.

Say you're a managing partner at BKD accounting firm, very nice job. Then KPMG or PwC call and offer you the same job there. Are you turning it down? Or do you want to see what it's like at the top of the mountain?

They already turned down NFL opportunities, according to sources on this forum.

You obviously do not understand the importance of the S&C Coach/Staff at Alabama. High Schoolers regardless of their Star Rankings don’t come into a program at their peak level of performance. Sure they may have to “play now” but they always have a ton of room for improvement. Alabama’s S&C Coach/Staff is no more important than IU’s but it is also no less important than IU’s.

If the strength and conditioning program is so outstanding why is it that the Hoosiers are always trying to plug holes on both sides of the line with grad transfers? I’m not saying they aren’t very good at their job. But I don’t think they were miracle workers. They sure got a lot of mileage out of that mph thing.

Because we're young and need depth.

Why wouldn't you want game experience when you can get it?

Of course it is important. I'm saying if IU will match the money there is no reason to leave other than to have the UA on their shirt, that is what they want then see ya. It's not like they are going to be HC or even a coordinator that will then step up from there. If the money is the same it's a lateral move.

Reactions: DANC
Of course it is important. I'm saying if IU will match the money there is no reason to leave other than to have the UA on their shirt, that is what they want then see ya. It's not like they are going to be HC or even a coordinator that will then step up from there. If the money is the same it's a lateral move.

-National championship ring
-Entire new building devoted to strength and conditioning
Attached to football facility
- recognition that comes from being part of NC staff
- bonuses tied to winning National Championship and Conference Championship.

Last edited:
First off, like all of you, I love IU football

Will suck to lose them if we do. Even if money was the same (unlikely), NO up and coming assistant coach or S&C at pretty much any school is going to pass up the opportunity of Bama football vs IU. The much greater likelihood of success, bonuses, national championship potential, quality of athlete to work with and state of the art facilities is a lure few would turn down. Darn near all assistant coaches are constantly on the move, looking for their next best opportunity.

Anyone who thinks differently is kidding themselves.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT