ADVERTISEMENT

Ballo collects preseason honors

TomEric4756

All-Big Ten
Sep 20, 2021
Blue Ribbon Yearbook, one of college basketball’s premier postseason publications, tabbed Ballo as the Preseason Big Ten Newcomer of the Year, a Preseason All-Big Ten selection and a fourth-team Preseason All-American.

— Indiana Daily Student

Reactions: Gage Fu
Blue Ribbon Yearbook, one of college basketball’s premier postseason publications, tabbed Ballo as the Preseason Big Ten Newcomer of the Year, a Preseason All-Big Ten selection and a fourth-team Preseason All-American.

— Indiana Daily Student
I feel like Ballo is getting undersold. He should be the strongest center in America. Rebounds blocks and dunks. Go get em big fella.

Reactions: jaygyure and kkott
I feel like Ballo is getting undersold. He should be the strongest center in America. Rebounds blocks and dunks. Go get em big fella.
Yes, He’s likely the strongest since Downing. … Walt Bellamy must have been a load too. Dean Garrett impressed me as a strong center later In Knight’s career.

He better not be.
IU has had issues getting into transition because we've been poor at controlling the defensive boards.. he should help drastically with that.

Hope he's used more like an NBA role player on the offensive end. Set screens and roll or park in the dunkers spot and eat up offensive boards. If we see him (or Malik) constantly setting up low block on iso posts ups .... Imma gonna puke. That's not been Ballo's game though so ... we should be good.

Malik is the odd fit ... Any news regarding his development this summer? Him expanding his game more towards face ups and perimeter and less on back to the basket would go a long way in having the offense we want to see. If he hasn't, then Woody needs to platoon those two and in a majority only play one at a time.

IU has had issues getting into transition because we've been poor at controlling the defensive boards.. he should help drastically with that.

Hope he's used more like an NBA role player on the offensive end. Set screens and roll or park in the dunkers spot and eat up offensive boards. If we see him (or Malik) constantly setting up low block on iso posts ups .... Imma gonna puke. That's not been Ballo's game though so ... we should be good.

Malik is the odd fit ... Any news regarding his development this summer? Him expanding his game more towards face ups and perimeter and less on back to the basket would go a long way in having the offense we want to see. If he hasn't, then Woody needs to platoon those two and in a majority only play one at a time.
I do expect a large volume of Malik in the post. He has had a good summer from everything I have heard. But his face up game and shooting hasn’t changed a ton, that was always the question I asked. We will see.

Reactions: T.M.P.
If he gets himself into shape, he is lighter on his feet than I expected and recall from the little I have watched him. If he can defend PnR action adequately he will be just fine. Either way in a game dictated by guard and wing play I feel better that we aren't a team that has to play through the post.

I do expect a large volume of Malik in the post. He has had a good summer from everything I have heard. But his face up game and shooting hasn’t changed a ton, that was always the question I asked. We will see.
I would contend he's better when he initiates his post action from face up positions a bit a way from the basket. If I were Woody, with Malik, I'd completely eliminate the traditional post ISO stuff. He's actually pretty good ripping and making dribble moves to the basket. Often he ends up with post like moves at the end of his takes, but him starting away from the basket implies he and his defender aren't spending the time preceding his moves, parked on the block.

I would definitely implement high low action, but with Ballo as the pin guy...and I'd run that either immediately in secondary break action, then if there's nothing, have Malik pass to the wing and maybe invert with Ballo, or both go find someone on the perimeter to either screen or run some sort of movement action with. Or then, I'd use that as a psuedo set play...down screen Ballo for Mack on the wing, get the ball to Malik high post, have Ballo immediately seal his man after Mack comes off the screen. As he did at Arizona, we'll get buckets off that, I'm sure. Malik could also rip and make dribble moves to the basket from this set too.

The key is not ISO'ing either of them for long periods of time on the block, and keeping both of them moving constantly inside out. In my opinion anyways.

Playing both together is not ideal. If they can keep it to 14-16 minutes a game that is ideal. At 15 minutes that is 27.5 mpg. Depending on matchups it can be more or less. The key will be in competetive games what does it look like. The big ten by nature of the beast may allow for it. When it gets to the tourney deviating from that plan may be best.

Playing both together is not ideal. If they can keep it to 14-16 minutes a game that is ideal. At 15 minutes that is 27.5 mpg. Depending on matchups it can be more or less. The key will be in competetive games what does it look like. The big ten by nature of the beast may allow for it. When it gets to the tourney deviating from that plan may be best.
The way Ballo plays, and is most effective, can allow for he and Reneau to be effective on the court together.

Ballo really isn't a guy that's ever posted up in a traditional post ISO situation. And I'm sure he won't at IU either (man I hope not anyways). And Reneau has perimeter skills. Ballo almost always played with other bigs at Arizona.

If Woody coaches and utilizes them like he has his bigs his first 3 years...yeah, we'll underperform again. But I'm hopeful the changes we saw during the season last season, and his obvious focus in the portal at getting playmaking guards, is signal enough that he isn't going to run a lot of the same post ISO stuff we've seen in years 1-3.

The way Ballo plays, and is most effective, can allow for he and Reneau to be effective on the court together.

Ballo really isn't a guy that's ever posted up in a traditional post ISO situation. And I'm sure he won't at IU either (man I hope not anyways). And Reneau has perimeter skills. Ballo almost always played with other bigs at Arizona.

If Woody coaches and utilizes them like he has his bigs his first 3 years...yeah, we'll underperform again. But I'm hopeful the changes we saw during the season last season, and his obvious focus in the portal at getting playmaking guards, is signal enough that he isn't going to run a lot of the same post ISO stuff we've seen in years 1-3.
I think for Reneau to have any NBA appeal, he's got to show a game out on the court, so while I hope it's limited to 10-15 mpg, the time he's playing w Ballo is important for Reneau, imo. Him playing the 5 isn't going to impress NBA folks and he's not TJD as an athlete, rebounder or shot blocker.

I think for Reneau to have any NBA appeal, he's got to show a game out on the court, so while I hope it's limited to 10-15 mpg, the time he's playing w Ballo is important for Reneau, imo. Him playing the 5 isn't going to impress NBA folks and he's not TJD as an athlete, rebounder or shot blocker.
He showed more willingness and abilities to take outside shots in the B10 season last year. He only took 45 threes last year. I’d bet he almost doubles that on attempts this year. And I bet he shoots over 30 percent again.

If he compliments that with better perimeter defense, good passing abilities, and being able to rebound out of his spaces…he’ll get NBA GMs interested. Lots of IFs. But he’s closer than most think, in my opinion.

He showed more willingness and abilities to take outside shots in the B10 season last year. He only took 45 threes last year. I’d bet he almost doubles that on attempts this year. And I bet he shoots over 30 percent again.

If he compliments that with better perimeter defense, good passing abilities, and being able to rebound out of his spaces…he’ll get NBA GMs interested. Lots of IFs. But he’s closer than most think, in my opinion.
I don't know about the #s, because I'm guessing 75% of his 3 attempts will come when Ballo's in the game and I don't think (hope?) that's going to be for more than about 15 minutes a game. When Ballo's out, we'll need Reanu in the paint to rebound and be a post threat and honestly, that's where he's been the most effective by far. He'll want to keep his scoring up, so he'll need that time too. I'm guessing CMW's had that discussion with Malik.

Last edited:

quick math indicates that would mean MR converts ~ one 3 pointer per game. which could be very useful depending on how things go with the rest of the team.

Reactions: kkott
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT