ADVERTISEMENT

At Georgia Tech?

Probably more Indiana fans in Atlanta than GT fans in Indy/Bloomington.

Isn't Hollowell in Atlanta? Where is Geogia St? He can come say goodbye to CTC.

Why is IU playing on the road in the first game of NIT?
Official response according to the HT is students on spring break and that IU would be willing to host a game in the second round. It smells more like the reality of an empty AH with the media being more interested in Crean's fate than the game itself.

I don't think Fred wants an escalation of the current hostile climate with people booing inside and likely protests (though probably small) outside. Potentially an uncomfortable and embarrassing situation with empty seats, a negative vibe, and a press looking for a story on Crean's survival.

Reactions: Lazz81
giphy.gif

My son texted someone he knew in the IU ticket office Saturday to get information on tickets for the NIT. He was told then that we would not host a first round game because the students are on Spring Break. I didn't believe it. I didn't think the athletic department would be so stupid to force a team that has sucked on the road to begin a winnable tournament game on the road.

For us to host a game, the lower seeds will have to win. This is idiotic of Glass to do. It shows he knows little about basketball and cares little about winning. It also shows that our basketball program can't be great again until we fix the problem at the top.

I would be outraged if I were Crean. If my boss made my job harder and set me up to fail, I would be vocal about it. When we lose at GT, Glass will share in the responsibility. It worries me that he will use this internally to take heat off Crean because he has decided to bring him back. What he fails to understand is the mismanagement of the program is becoming a shared responsibility. After a lackluster year next season, they should both be fired. Crean for his coaching, and Glass for not recognizing that and causing further damage to the program.

Official response according to the HT is students on spring break and that IU would be willing to host a game in the second round. It smells more like the reality of an empty AH with the media being more interested in Crean's fate than the game itself.

I don't think Fred wants an escalation of the current hostile climate with people booing inside and likely protests (though probably small) outside. Potentially an uncomfortable and embarrassing situation with empty seats, a negative vibe, and a press looking for a story on Crean's survival.
This is very plausible. Empty seats, general ambivalence, the sideshow of Crean's status. Why host a game and create a ready made forum to highlight those things? Go to Atlanta and get away from the noise.

Im not sure any of this has any meaning vis a vis Crean's future. I think the fact that Glass has not made a statement the last couple of months speaks volumes to where this is going to to end for Crean.

Reactions: IU40IU
My son texted someone he knew in the IU ticket office Saturday to get information on tickets for the NIT. He was told then that we would not host a first round game because the students are on Spring Break. I didn't believe it. I didn't think the athletic department would be so stupid to force a team that has sucked on the road to begin a winnable tournament game on the road.

For us to host a game, the lower seeds will have to win. This is idiotic of Glass to do. It shows he knows little about basketball and cares little about winning. It also shows that our basketball program can't be great again until we fix the problem at the top.

I would be outraged if I were Crean. If my boss made my job harder and set me up to fail, I would be vocal about it. When we lose at GT, Glass will share in the responsibility. It worries me that he will use this internally to take heat off Crean because he has decided to bring him back. What he fails to understand is the mismanagement of the program is becoming a shared responsibility. After a lackluster year next season, they should both be fired. Crean for his coaching, and Glass for not recognizing that and causing further damage to the program.
What is funny 7 other schools who are hosting a first round game is also on spring break.

Reactions: kevindub
This is very plausible. Empty seats, general ambivalence, the sideshow of Crean's status. Why host a game and create a ready made forum to highlight those things? Go to Atlanta and get away from the noise.

If that's the case, why keep him?

The students wouldn't show up anyway, since they haven't most of the season. This is about taking a road trip while the heat is on at home. It's best for the team. Glass was smart to do this.
There's some merit to this. The kids don't deserve being caught in the middle of an irate fan base and a lame duck coach.

Reactions: kevindub

You are only allowed two home games in the NIT, smart move by IU. Win one on the road, next two are at home when the students are back.

Glass has improved athletics at IU in every way, and the administration knows it.

You are only allowed two home games in the NIT, smart move by IU. Win one on the road, next two are at home when the students are back.

Glass has improved athletics at IU in every way, and the administration knows it.
That is not how it works. The only way we get a home game in the 2nd round is if Georgia the 2 seed loses. The higher seed always gets the home game so this game could have been the only home game we could get.

We are terrible on the road. We won't get a chance to host a game if we don't win Tuesday. GT is 2-10 on the road as well. We turned an advantage for us into an advantage to GT

The NIT said the higher seed hosts games. Syracuse as the #1 seed will play at home as long as they are still in it. Then they go to New York to play MSG. Our only chance of hosting is if Belmont beats Georgia and Syracuse loses.

Round 1, March 14-16 -- higher seed hosts
Round 2, March 17-20 -- higher seed hosts
Quarterfinals, March 21-22 -- higher seed hosts
Semifinals, March 28 -- Madison Square Garden, New York City
Final, March 30 -- Madison Square Garden, New York City

Stupid decision by IU unless they want to lose the first game.

1) If Glass has decided Crean is gone, it makes sense to have this on the road. Avoid the circus of a home game with Crean.

2) If Crean has decided to keep Crean, it's one of the most gutless decisions ever.

I'm guessing it is 1.

Reactions: jakincade
You sound like Glass' very own Steven Miller.

Or Baghdad Bob.

No, I sound like a rationale businessman. IU is financially in better shape today than when Glass came on board. The department in financially sound. New renovations, new facilities, the department has performed well in the all sports rankings (Learfield Cup).

You sound like facts aren't your friends and you are entitled to your own set because you don't like that we aren't in the 1980's anymore.

We are terrible on the road. We won't get a chance to host a game if we don't win Tuesday. GT is 2-10 on the road as well. We turned an advantage for us into an advantage to GT

The NIT said the higher seed hosts games. Syracuse as the #1 seed will play at home as long as they are still in it. Then they go to New York to play MSG. Our only chance of hosting is if Belmont beats Georgia and Syracuse loses.

Round 1, March 14-16 -- higher seed hosts
Round 2, March 17-20 -- higher seed hosts
Quarterfinals, March 21-22 -- higher seed hosts
Semifinals, March 28 -- Madison Square Garden, New York City
Final, March 30 -- Madison Square Garden, New York City

Stupid decision by IU unless they want to lose the first game.
I wouldn't say IU wants to lose, but I think it's a fair assumption that they (Glass and probably Crean) have as much interest in the NIT as they did in the CBI, which is none. They couldn't decline the invitation so they're going to play, but they're indifferent to the whole thing. Going to GT is a smart move by Glass. Doesn't have to worry about the sideshow of Crean speculation dominating the game, doesn't have to endure the embarrassment of an AH with only a third of the stands occupied, and keeps the players out of the fishbowl of sniping and ugliness. Smart move by Glass.

Last edited:
No, I sound like a rationale businessman. IU is financially in better shape today than when Glass came on board. The department in financially sound. New renovations, new facilities, the department has performed well in the all sports rankings (Learfield Cup).

You sound like facts aren't your friends and you are entitled to your own set because you don't like that we aren't in the 1980's anymore.

The fact is we were a top 10 team in November and finished 10th in the conference. That shouldn't be tolerated in any decade.

You sound like the mayor from Jaws. lol ("I'm pleased and happy to repeat the news that we have, in fact, caught and killed a large predator that supposedly injured some bathers. But, as you see, it's a beautiful day, the beaches are open and people are having a wonderful time. Amity, as you know, means "friendship".)

What is funny 7 other schools who are hosting a first round game is also on spring break.
Exactly. Either Glass wants to end the season quickly and not really interested in playing in the tournament, or he is looking to create an excuse for why we lost at GT. The second reason is so idiotic, it has a chance to be true. I have 0% faith that Glass will do what is best for the performance on the court.

I wish O$U had made the tournament instead of us!

Reactions: russelltodd
I wouldn't say IU wants to lose, but I think it's a fair assumption that they (Glass and probably Crean) have as much interest in the NIT as they did in the CBI, which is none. They couldn't decline the invitation so they're going to play, but they're indifferent to the whole thing. Going to GT is a smart move by Glass. Doesn't have to worry about the sideshow of Crean speculation dominating the game, doesn't have to endure the embarrassment of an AH with only a third of the s and occupied, and keeps the players out of the fishbowl of sniping and ugliness. Smart move by Glass.
It is a loser's mentality. I don't care if there are 10 people at the game. Play to win or they shouldn't have said they wanted to be considered for a bid.

Declining a home game gives away an advantage and our chance to win. Winning is still important, right? Remember the embarrassment UK faced losing a first round NIT game on the road? I don't see how losing at GT helps the program unless it is so we can start our coaching search early. Anyone trust that Glass is going to fire Crean? I don't!

Glass says that apathy is the real killer of the program. He's hoping thousands of fans call and demand IU play at AH. He would have his answer, IU fans really do care. Or some other ridiculous sh!t.

Nah...he's afraid of the boo birds.

The fact is we were a top 10 team in November and finished 10th in the conference. That shouldn't be tolerated in any decade.

You sound like the mayor from Jaws. lol ("I'm pleased and happy to repeat the news that we have, in fact, caught and killed a large predator that supposedly injured some bathers. But, as you see, it's a beautiful day, the beaches are open and people are having a wonderful time. Amity, as you know, means "friendship".)
People who still support this crap are kind of like people who display the Confederate flag: it helps me pick out the morons.

Exactly. Either Glass wants to end the season quickly and not really interested in playing in the tournament, or he is looking to create an excuse for why we lost at GT. The second reason is so idiotic, it has a chance to be true. I have 0% faith that Glass will do what is best for the performance on the court.

I wish O$U had made the tournament instead of us!

Never and I mean never have faith in Glass to do the right thing. The guy is totally incompetent when it comes to men’s basketball and he is totally clouded by his love of crean. Basically everything he touches with mens basketball turns to ……..

The financial condition of the department is a function of both the Big Ten monetary distribution, which has increased significantly, as well as the edict that it be run in the black.

Reactions: jakincade
The financial condition of the department is a function of both the Big Ten monetary distribution, which has increased significantly, as well as the edict that it be run in the black.

Which he has done well. We also aren't in a situation like we used to be paying many coaches a salary for no longer being our coach. That is also a function of being in the black, smart hires and smarter dismissals.

It is a loser's mentality. I don't care if there are 10 people at the game. Play to win or they shouldn't have said they wanted to be considered for a bid.

Declining a home game gives away an advantage and our chance to win. Winning is still important, right? Remember the embarrassment UK faced losing a first round NIT game on the road? I don't see how losing at GT helps the program unless it is so we can start our coaching search early. Anyone trust that Glass is going to fire Crean? I don't![/QUOTE
It's my understanding that they weren't permitted to decline the bid, so saying they shouldn't have asked to be considered isn't applicable to this situation. Not sure how wanting to manage the volume is a loser's mentality. It seems very bright, especially if it benefits the players, which it does.

Which he has done well. We also aren't in a situation like we used to be paying many coaches a salary for no longer being our coach. That is also a function of being in the black, smart hires and smarter dismissals.
I think smart hires and smart dismissals is open to great interpretation, but to each his own. Obviously, none of us have any true practical insight into the athletic department, so the discussion is academic (no pun intended).

Schools had to accept or reject being included in the pool for an NIT bid. I'm not sure when the deadline was, but we had a chance to decline. Since we accepted, we should do everything we can to win. Anything we do to hurt our chances on purpose is stupid.

Glass says that apathy is the real killer of the program. He's hoping thousands of fans call and demand IU play at AH. He would have his answer, IU fans really do care. Or some other ridiculous sh!t.

Fred Glass is a coward.

Reactions: russelltodd

Then he shouldn't have disconnected the number I used to call his office.

That is not how it works. The only way we get a home game in the 2nd round is if Georgia the 2 seed loses. The higher seed always gets the home game so this game could have been the only home game we could get.

I thought you didn't care about the NIT? :p

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT