ADVERTISEMENT

Article on Archelogoical evidence concerning the Bible

VanPastorMan

Hall of Famer
Mar 21, 2002
Central Pennsylvania Via Washington Indiana
Good Morning, I found this impressive article which is shared in the hopes it will get some here who are hard hearted to perhaps change their rigid stance on the Bible. I know it's a tall order, but hey why not? I found #8 amusing. Muslim extremists blow up one site and because of it other evidence was found. Here is the link if you feel inclined to read. Blessings to you all and have a great New Year.
https://www.christianitytoday.com/n...chaeology-top-10-discoveries-2018-israel.html

Reactions: Hoopsdoc1978
Good Morning, I found this impressive article which is shared in the hopes it will get some here who are hard hearted to perhaps change their rigid stance on the Bible. I know it's a tall order, but hey why not? I found #8 amusing. Muslim extremists blow up one site and because of it other evidence was found. Here is the link if you feel inclined to read. Blessings to you all and have a great New Year.
https://www.christianitytoday.com/n...chaeology-top-10-discoveries-2018-israel.html
Nice archaeological finds, but I am not sure how those artifacts are supposed to change the “hard hearted”? I mean we all know the Bible surely exists and there are surely real earthly items, places, and people mentioned but we also know the Bible was written, rewritten, changed, amended, and has massive translation errors and interpretation possibilities within it. We also know dinosaurs were real....

Funny how you categorize those who do not believe as you as being hard hearted? It is clear by your posts you do not believe as you pretend and have a hard or blind heart yourself. Jesus did not live his life excluding others as far as I know. & speaking for myself only, I do not count believing in the unbelievable, blind faith, as a virtue at all.

Your views and rationalizing of bigotry, sexual assault, blatant lying, marital infidelity and so forth do more to solidify secular views than you can imagine. Your type of “hard hearted” faith I want zero affiliation with.

Last edited:
Nice archaeological finds, but I am not sure how those artifacts are supposed to change the “hard hearted”? I mean we all know the Bible surely exists and there are surely real earthly items, places, and people mentioned but we also know the Bible was written, rewritten, changed, amended, and has massive translation errors and interpretation possibilities within it. We also know dinosaurs were real....

Funny how you categorize those who do not believe as you as being hard hearted? It is clear by your posts you do not believe as you pretend and have a hard or blind heart yourself. Jesus did not live his life excluding others as far as I know. & speaking for myself only, I do not count believing in the unbelievable, blind faith, as a virtue at all.

Your views and rationalizing of bigotry, sexual assault, blatant lying, marital infidelity and so forth do more to solidify secular views than you can imagine. Your type of “hard hearted” faith I want zero affiliation with.

Being judgmental is fine as long as it’s from a Christian point of view.

giphy.gif

I've always been curious as to the theology behind what books go in the Bible and are divinely inspired and which are "non-canon".

On a similar note, we continue to find evidence confirming details contained in the Steele dossier, lending credence to the document as a whole.

@VanPastorMan do you similarly keep an open mind when archaeology or other scientific disciplines find evidence that contradicts something you believe? I’m an atheist, but I’m happy to agree that there is some historical evidence for portions of the Christian bible being based on real people and events. That’s true too though of the religious texts of many other religions including Islam. It’s also true that other portions of the Bible are contradicted by the historical and archaeological record.

Did you come here to proselytize or are you here to discuss? If you choose to ignore this post as inconvenient, you’ll reinforce that it’s the former and that your OP was not in good faith.

Reactions: sglowrider

I'm not sure what VPM is going at here. It seems he's suggesting that, if these historical details are confirmed, it somehow means the Bible is also theologically true? I guess? I don't know. That's patently ridiculous, of course, but these discoveries are still fascinating from an historical perspective. The truth is, we have very little detail about much of the world in Biblical times, and any discovery that sheds light on what was going on is interesting and useful.

:rolleyes:

I'm not sure what VPM is going at here. It seems he's suggesting that, if these historical details are confirmed, it somehow means the Bible is also theologically true? I guess? I don't know. That's patently ridiculous, of course, but these discoveries are still fascinating from an historical perspective. The truth is, we have very little detail about much of the world in Biblical times, and any discovery that sheds light on what was going on is interesting and useful.
Plus, I wonder how many ancient texts were written primarily as history instead of for nonhistoric purposes such as self-aggrandizement, glorifying a pharoah or purporting to be the words of God, or Odin, or whoever. Probably not very many. Julius Caesar's biography may ultimately be no more/less reliable as a historic source than The Art of the Deal.

Plus, I wonder how many ancient texts were written primarily as history instead of for nonhistoric purposes such as self-aggrandizement, glorifying a pharoah or purporting to be the words of God, or Odin, or whoever. Probably not very many. Julius Caesar's biography may ultimately be no more/less reliable as a historic source than The Art of the Deal.
I meant to reply to this last week, but forgot. You're 100% right. The concept of writing objective history simply didn't exist back then (some would argue it doesn't exist now, and we're all fooling ourselves). History was also always propaganda. We have no idea how much of The Gallic Wars is true. We know some is, and some isn't, but we don't know where the line is.

Compounding the problem is that we have (almost) no original ancient texts. We only have copies of copies. Ironically, the ages of those copies highlight some interesting problems. For example, we have fragments of New Testament texts from less than 100 years after Jesus lived, but our oldest references to Julius Caesar come from many centuries after he died. If the age of the artifact is important, there is more evidence of Jesus than Caesar, whom no one doubts was a real person. But what can we really know about him after 600 years of people copying and perhaps changing the only texts that mentioned him? We can't even agree on what we know about Jesus, and we have artifacts old enough to be written by people who actually met him.

It's a constant problem in studying ancient history that probably can't be solved. We piece the puzzle together best we can, but we ultimately simply can't know for sure what these people were like, or how accurate what they wrote is, or how accurately what they wrote was passed down to us after so many generations of copying and editing.

I see the theology and the history as the same. It's all God's Word. Archeology is one of those sciences which gives credence to the Bible NOT being a fairy tale document which is what a lot of unbelievers believe.

I see the theology and the history as the same. It's all God's Word. Archeology is one of those sciences which gives credence to the Bible NOT being a fairy tale document which is what a lot of unbelievers believe.
Yeah, that's what I thought. Like I said, that's patently ridiculous.

We have a small handful of artifacts that suggest David was a real person. That doesn't mean everything written about him in the Bible is accurate. And even if we find more artifacts that confirm individual facts about his life as described in the Bible, that doesn't mean that anything the Bible has to say about David's God is accurate.

You believe what the Bible says because of faith. As you yourself just said, it's "God's Word." Don't pretend it's because of archaeology.

Well, as I said in my original post its a fact that dinosaurs did exist, irrefutable. If archeology is important to your beliefs, why is their supposed replica of an arc in Kentucky that also promotes the idea of humans and dinosaurs existing at the same time? That is insane yet promoted as fact. Does this obvious,well, lie, being promoted to children somewhat undermine the premise that a fairy tale may not be far fetched?

Reactions: outside shooter
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT