ADVERTISEMENT

Are Dennis AND McNeil both a possibility at this point?

IUNorth

Hall of Famer
Oct 25, 2002
Its very smoky when it comes to a Dennis commitment here soon.

And yet, McNeil is still visiting this weekend.

That seems to indicate its at least possible that Woody would take both of them?

To quote my 12 year old daughter..."That's awkward"???

Obviously decisions could have already been made that none of us know about...which would eliminate the awkwardness. But with all the information we have, at this point, commitments from both Dennis and McNeil would get very uncomfortable.

Maybe not worth discussing until it happens. Neither has committed at this point. But this is a message board...and I'm bored...its been almost a week since we had a departure or commitment!

McNeil =A. Dennis=B. Mc Neil and IU should be done.Dennis doesn't answer many problems.
I think either one makes us better. I'd take either or both of them...just can't think on who should/would leave.

If you take both their careers in totality...and assume their minutes will replace the guys that have already left, and then also take minutes from Miller and...Trey maybe...McNeil is an offensive upgrade for certain, but maybe not a defensive upgrade. Dennis is a big defensive upgrade, and probably par offensively.

McNeil =A. Dennis=B. Mc Neil and IU should be done.Dennis doesn't answer many problems.
I can't imagine Dennis is waiting to know what McNeil decides? He's coveted just as much as McNeil is overall. What if Dennis commits today?

It seems like Woody is open to taking both to me?...Who knows though.

I can't imagine Dennis is waiting to know what McNeil decides? He's coveted just as much as McNeil is overall. What if Dennis commits today?

It seems like Woody is open to taking both to me?...Who knows though.
I’d say lots of movement going on for both. We technically need both to make the team much more efficient. Next years team will be better for it.

I’d say lots of movement going on for both. We technically need both to make the team much more efficient. Next years team will be better for it.
Yeah, lots of moving parts to be determined yet. We also don't know what TJD is going to do. I think if we all somehow knew he was staying in the draft, there'd be a lot less reservations about taking both these guys. If TJD leaves, we REALLY need to upgrade our talent at the wing positions. Not a lot of obvious/realistic options left in terms of big men. And as I've pointed out numerous times before, if TJD left it wouldn't be necessary to get another big anyways. Our biggest need, TJD or no TJD, is to improve our wing play, on both ends of the court.

Yeah, lots of moving parts to be determined yet. We also don't know what TJD is going to do. I think if we all somehow knew he was staying in the draft, there'd be a lot less reservations about taking both these guys. If TJD leaves, we REALLY need to upgrade our talent at the wing positions. Not a lot of obvious/realistic options left in terms of big men. And as I've pointed out numerous times before, if TJD left it wouldn't be necessary to get another big anyways. Our biggest need, TJD or no TJD, is to improve our wing play, on both ends of the court.
The uncertainty for TJD is why I'd take both. Let's not play it safe and live to regret it. It's past time to make bold moves to get IU more competitive.

I like McNeil over Kopp because he's on the floor to shoot and his confidence is always high. Dennis is a stopper. The closest thing to that we have now is Galloway, but we saw last season how many guys we just had no answer for.

This is why I think he comes back. Woodson is only spending time recruiting wing/guards. I think 1 is leaving and 1 is paying their own way. It’s going to be Kopp or Duncomb leaving. Leaning towards Duncomb. Leal will pay his own way. This of course could be TJD leaving. Any combination.

The uncertainty for TJD is why I'd take both. Let's not play it safe and live to regret it. It's past time to make bold moves to get IU more competitive.

I like McNeil over Kopp because he's on the floor to shoot and his confidence is always high. Dennis is a stopper. The closest thing to that we have now is Galloway, but we saw last season how many guys we just had no answer for.
I agree. Obvious softer sentiments for whoever might have to leave, or give up their scholarship. But we were mediocre last year for a few reasons.

JHS hopefully addresses some of those reasons. An improved Tamar Bates would address some. Reneau I don't think does for this year as much, but will obviously make our front court deeper and more stable. Dennis and/or McNeil, I would say, are immediately more reliable improvements for our below average wing play. We all hope that Tamar and Jordan can provide a spark. If nothing else, more athleticism on the wings. And we all hope that our incoming frosh will help too. But we know what we'll get from Dennis and McNeil. And that will be better than what we got last year from Parker, Rob, Miller, and Trey. And likely better than what we'd get this year from Miller and Trey.

I agree. Obvious softer sentiments for whoever might have to leave, or give up their scholarship. But we were mediocre last year for a few reasons.

JHS hopefully addresses some of those reasons. An improved Tamar Bates would address some. Reneau I don't think does for this year as much, but will obviously make our front court deeper and more stable. Dennis and/or McNeil, I would say, are immediately more reliable improvements for our below average wing play. We all hope that Tamar and Jordan can provide a spark. If nothing else, more athleticism on the wings. And we all hope that our incoming frosh will help too. But we know what we'll get from Dennis and McNeil. And that will be better than what we got last year from Parker, Rob, Miller, and Trey. And likely better than what we'd get this year from Miller and Trey.

Also, I don't necessarily think we need to have a huge upgrade in talent to increase overall performance. When IU had a healthy Phin and Galloway, IU was a much better team. If they stay healthy all year, I think we beat Syracuse and likely pick up At LEAST 3 more conference wins, which would have put IU at 12-8 and 4th place in conference and 22 regular season wins and potentially ranked in the top 25.

I'm not trying to chalk IU's performance to bad luck, a solid team should be able to handle injuries better than we did. But my point is that even with improved depth alone, IU could push its floor well into the top half of the conference, if not the top 3rd, and into the top 25. And it looks that at bare minimum, IU has done that.

And we will have a bunch of guys competing for time at the 2/3 spots, increasing the odds that someone emerges as a major threat, to give IU a legit shot to improve upon that floor

Its very smoky when it comes to a Dennis commitment here soon.

And yet, McNeil is still visiting this weekend.

That seems to indicate its at least possible that Woody would take both of them?

To quote my 12 year old daughter..."That's awkward"???

Obviously decisions could have already been made that none of us know about...which would eliminate the awkwardness. But with all the information we have, at this point, commitments from both Dennis and McNeil would get very uncomfortable.

Maybe not worth discussing until it happens. Neither has committed at this point. But this is a message board...and I'm bored...its been almost a week since we had a departure or commitment!
I'd prefer not to take them and save the scholarships for a better class, neither is going to start or move the needle much and we have enough role players already

I'd prefer not to take them and save the scholarships for a better class, neither is going to start or move the needle much and we have enough role players already
Unless they're not a good fit personality wise, and I trust our coaches to flush that out, they'd both be starter level players for us. Doesn't mean they'd both start, but they'd both be main rotation guys if not starters.

The ONLY negatives I'd see would be having to bump out a good kid that's bought into the program already, and/or risking disgruntling any of the younger guys that have a ton of potential to be good down the road. In other words, do they make us THAT much better than we'd be with increased minutes and usage from guys like Tamar, Jordan, Trey, CJ, Kaleb...to make up for the potential risk of any of those guys leaving due to less minutes this next year.

In today's transfer market, year to year uncertainty, I say put your best foot forward every season. There will be late signee and transfer opportunities like Reneau and these two guys, every year. If you have a core group of guys established, as we do, do whatever you can to maximize them.

This is why I think he comes back. Woodson is only spending time recruiting wing/guards. I think 1 is leaving and 1 is paying their own way. It’s going to be Kopp or Duncomb leaving. Leaning towards Duncomb. Leal will pay his own way. This of course could be TJD leaving. Any combination.
I don’t envision Leal playing much in games, But, I see him breaking a sweat jumping up and down on the sidelines; he’ll be back either way.

was Duncomb on the team last year? I jest, but how is he going to get minutes? I see him moving on.

Im not sure if we’ll have much clarity on TJD for a bit yet. There may be one other shoe to fall (JG)

Yet another post with no research or effort.
Yep.

Dennis would immediately be our best and most versatile defender.

And McNeil would be our best shooter, and probably a guy that we'd "go to" late in shot clocks and in games.

They'd both play a lot, if not start.

Funny how this works, technically you have zero open slots (at least until June when TJD would have to make his decision) and yet both are visiting. Ultimately, I also don't think TJD leaves. Leal won't be paying his own way, he had an offer from Stanford, he'd probably go in the portal. Not sure Duncomb leaves either, he'd be the lone big man for 2023-24 (unless Woodson wants to roll the dice on the portal which didn't work out so well with Durr). If I were a guy on scholarship today, though that would speak to some level of dishonesty on the part of the university and Woodson's ethics too if the kid wanted to stay but was told to leave.

Having said that, obviously when the HC changes and you weren't brought in by him like in a business when your new boss comes in from the outside it can be assumed that he would want his own people. So maybe if Woodson thinks these two guys are worth it, he does edge folks out. To me, that would be folks brought in by Archie, not people he "recruited" to stay like Duncomb was or, unfortunately, even Kopp who Woodson recruited out of the portal. That leaves Leal, Galloway and Geronimo as the guys who might be encouraged to go elewhere. But, who knows? Leal leaving doesn't really affect the team much, but both Galloway and JG would be losses. Maybe Galloway is less of a loss if Dennis plays defense equally well but the offense from both is wash in which case where is the advantage? As hard as i try, I just can't see why Dennis is even being talked to.

In my opinion you're going to take both Dennis and McNeil, the first guy to go would be Leal and the second should be Kopp but it probably won't work out that way and maybe the visits are to nail down only one of them assuming TJD stays, or Woodson knows TJD is leaving in which case the other spot to be opened would be Leal.

It is kind of strange that the two players who are visiting are nearly polar opposites of each other.

Dennis: GREAT defender, below average shooter, 6'6
McNeil: HORRIBLE defender, above average shooter, 6'3

I doubt we are willing to sign both...unless, if we sign Dennis then Geronimo would be MUCH more likely to leave (assuming TJD returns), opening a spot for McNeil.

Last edited:
They both only have one year of eligibility left so there's no benefit in "saving" the scholarships as they'll be open again for the next class anyway.

I originally thought McNeil had two years left... Looking at his NCAA stats, I wasn't aware that he used up a year of eligibility at a Community College.

Last edited:
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
It is kind of strange that the two players who are visiting are nearly polar opposites of each other.

Dennis: GREAT defender, below average shooter, 6'6
McNeil: HORRIBLE defender, above average shooter, 6'3

I doubt we are willing to sign both...unless, if we sign Dennis then Geronimo would be MUCH more likely to leave (assuming TJD returns), opening a spot for McNeil.
Is McNeil a horrible defender? That usually doesn't fly in Huggins led programs? I honestly don't know. All I know is he's regarded as arguably the best shooter in the portal. If he were a horrible defender, it would surprise me that Woody would be going after him. He showed with his style and substitution patterns this year, that his primary focus is defense.

Funny how this works, technically you have zero open slots (at least until June when TJD would have to make his decision) and yet both are visiting. Ultimately, I also don't think TJD leaves. Leal won't be paying his own way, he had an offer from Stanford, he'd probably go in the portal. Not sure Duncomb leaves either, he'd be the lone big man for 2023-24 (unless Woodson wants to roll the dice on the portal which didn't work out so well with Durr). If I were a guy on scholarship today, though that would speak to some level of dishonesty on the part of the university and Woodson's ethics too if the kid wanted to stay but was told to leave.

Having said that, obviously when the HC changes and you weren't brought in by him like in a business when your new boss comes in from the outside it can be assumed that he would want his own people. So maybe if Woodson thinks these two guys are worth it, he does edge folks out. To me, that would be folks brought in by Archie, not people he "recruited" to stay like Duncomb was or, unfortunately, even Kopp who Woodson recruited out of the portal. That leaves Leal, Galloway and Geronimo as the guys who might be encouraged to go elewhere. But, who knows? Leal leaving doesn't really affect the team much, but both Galloway and JG would be losses. Maybe Galloway is less of a loss if Dennis plays defense equally well but the offense from both is wash in which case where is the advantage? As hard as i try, I just can't see why Dennis is even being talked to.

In my opinion you're going to take both Dennis and McNeil, the first guy to go would be Leal and the second should be Kopp but it probably won't work out that way and maybe the visits are to nail down only one of them assuming TJD stays, or Woodson knows TJD is leaving in which case the other spot to be opened would be Leal.
Dennis isn't a wash defensively with any of our current players. Let alone Trey or Miller. He was the DPOY in the same conference as Houston, Memphis and Cincinnati. He can effectively guard any position 1-4. We don't have a single guy on our roster right now that can do that. And while he had a poor shooting year this past season, he shot over 40% from the 3 as a freshman, and has been over 80% from the line his whole career. I don't know how our system relates to his shooting or skill set, but if its at all favorable, a guy that can average high single digits, hit a couple threes a game, make his free throws when he's fouled, and be as good and versatile as he is defensively... It really isn't hard to see, at all, why he's being recruited by Woody. And the more I read about him, and the more game film I see of him, the more excited I get about him.

With McNeil the attraction is probably more obvious, because his skillset fills a specific, widely talked about need on our team. He's one of the best portal outside shooters, we need better outside shooting.

The bad side to signing both these guys is who leaves? Who doesn't get to play as much? If they both sign, our starting lineup very well could be XJ, Dennis, McNeil, Race, TJD. How do Jordan, Tamar, JHS, Malik all take that? Let alone Miller, Trey, Anthony, and/or Logan? And should Woody care?

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Dennis isn't a wash defensively with any of our current players. Let alone Trey or Miller. He was the DPOY in the same conference as Houston, Memphis and Cincinnati. He can effectively guard any position 1-4. We don't have a single guy on our roster right now that can do that. And while he had a poor shooting year this past season, he shot over 40% from the 3 as a freshman, and has been over 80% from the line his whole career. I don't know how our system relates to his shooting or skill set, but if its at all favorable, a guy that can average high single digits, hit a couple threes a game, make his free throws when he's fouled, and be as good and versatile as he is defensively... It really isn't hard to see, at all, why he's being recruited by Woody. And the more I read about him, and the more game film I see of him, the more excited I get about him.

With McNeil the attraction is probably more obvious, because his skillset fills a specific, widely talked about need on our team. He's one of the best portal outside shooters, we need better outside shooting.

The bad side to signing both these guys is who leaves? Who doesn't get to play as much? If they both sign, our starting lineup very well could be XJ, Dennis, McNeil, Race, TJD. How do Jordan, Tamar, JHS, Malik all take that? Let alone Miller, Trey, Anthony, and/or Logan? And should Woody care?
I’m not sure why people don’t understand this. It’s not like he played against OVC talent. He’s clearly a need.

They both only have one year of eligibility left so there's no benefit in "saving" the scholarships as they'll be open again for the next class anyway.
You sure? They don't get their COVID year/NIL shit cause it's more than they'd probably make in life anytime soon?

I'd rather look JUCO than somebody fleeing decent programs for some unknown reason. JUCO at least, you know why they were there and we have one of the best in our backyard and tutoring.

No more Fitzner's or Kopps (and we could go on forever with Crean complete misses, so many I'd need to Google it) is my opinion and as soon is all things AM have been purged, and I mean everybody, the sooner we just start recruiting to the way Woodson wants to play and attract talented players, and I believe they've turned the tide on that, the better we will be

• Wow
Reactions: jimmygoiu
You sure? They don't get their COVID year/NIL shit cause it's more than they'd probably make in life anytime soon?

I'd rather look JUCO than somebody fleeing decent programs for some unknown reason. JUCO at least, you know why they were there and we have one of the best in our backyard and tutoring.

No more Fitzner's or Kopps (and we could go on forever with Crean complete misses, so many I'd need to Google it) is my opinion and as soon is all things AM have been purged, and I mean everybody, the sooner we just start recruiting to the way Woodson wants to play and attract talented players, and I believe they've turned the tide on that, the better we will be
What JUCO player is better than either Dennis or McNeil? Have you watched any of their game film?

Yes, horrible.
Take your word for it. That's strange that he's being recruited then. Although it does show that Woody acknowledges our need for a shooter. As he's actively recruiting someone that isn't good at the single thing he most values.

What JUCO player is better than either Dennis or McNeil? Have you watched any of their game film?
No. I’m sure of that. I’m also sure he couldn’t decipher it either. Anyone saying he’s terrible hasn’t.

From my observation level Dennis can replace Kopp this afternoon and we gain a DPOY who'll score = amount of points. Pass on McNeil, soft D. Also don't have any reason to shed LD. Without Durr his feet will get wetter next season. We'll need a seasoned big for sure with 23-24 looming without Trayce. He'll be the needed post for Banks and Reneau.

Reactions: BB Hoosier
From my observation level Dennis can replace Kopp this afternoon and we gain a DPOY who'll score = amount of points. Pass on McNeil, soft D. Also don't have any reason to shed LD. Without Durr his feet will get wetter next season. We'll need a seasoned big for sure with 23-24 looming without Trayce.
I would take Dennis over McNeil too, if choosing between the two. But would take either of them, or both and be glad for it.

I’m not sure why people don’t understand this. It’s not like he played against OVC talent. He’s clearly a need.
Did you even look at the wichita State schedule? The American Athletic Conference is most definitely a minor league. The AAC isn't the ACC. He will play worse in the B1G. If he signs, watch. Maybe he's an upgrade over a couple of guys on the current roster but I doubt he will help the team that much. 3 pt. shooting percentages over his career 40.0 as a frosh, 33.6 both sophomore and junior year and 29.7 this last season. About 8 pts./game, 5 boards/gm and 1/1 assist to turnover ratio playing 31 minutes/game. How does he project to be a guy that will dramatically improve IU next season? What makes him so valuable and don't say defense because he played against a bunch of slug teams in the AAC. He will add nothing and is at best a wash over Kopp. McNeil at least can shoot.

I have to be honest, I really don't like the Trayce or Race 9th years. (I know that's an exaggeration, but whitherever). We have and IN Mr. BBall getting hardly any minutes, do I think Leal and Galloway would be best off to transfer to MVC, completely yes, recruiting is picking up and if they wanna play 5 to 10 a game and sink you, they ought to consider options where they might carve out a decent Europe career. Not being mean, but they are not NBA players and should max what they got

Did you even look at the wichita State schedule? The American Athletic Conference is most definitely a minor league. The AAC isn't the ACC. He will play worse in the B1G. If he signs, watch. Maybe he's an upgrade over a couple of guys on the current roster but I doubt he will help the team that much. 3 pt. shooting percentages over his career 40.0 as a frosh, 33.6 both sophomore and junior year and 29.7 this last season. About 8 pts./game, 5 boards/gm and 1/1 assist to turnover ratio playing 31 minutes/game. How does he project to be a guy that will dramatically improve IU next season? What makes him so valuable and don't say defense because he played against a bunch of slug teams in the AAC. He will add nothing and is at best a wash over Kopp. McNeil at least can shoot.
Cincinnati and Houston etc isn’t terrible. Sure it’s not the power 5 but to say it’s terrible is an old man take.

He held Quentin Grimes (now with the Knicks) to 13 points last year when Wichita State played Houston. Maybe Woodson checked with Grimes whether the guy can play D.

38% v 36% + DPOY
I'd probably prefer Dennis as well, but it's 37% v. 34% + DPOY. Dennis has been .297, .336 & .336 the last 3 yrs. Career, he's at .344, as he shot 40% his first year.

Also, McNeil is a higher volume 3 pt shooter and +5% pts on 2s and +10 % pts on FTs over Dennis. He's just a much better offensive player all around. However, Dennis is a much better rebounder.

Reactions: .Gerdis
Houston would have competed for a BIG title, while Memphis and SMU would have been in the top half.

I'd probably prefer Dennis as well, but it's 37% v. 34% + DPOY. Dennis has been .297, .336 & .336 the last 3 yrs. Career, he's at .344, as he shot 40% his first year.

Also, McNeil is a higher volume 3 pt shooter and +5% pts on 2s and +10 % pts on FTs over Dennis. He's just a much better offensive player all around. However, Dennis is a much better rebounder.
I just think the offensive numbers are a wash as far as how those two players might add to the team, when you consider the mental condition of last years team, who for years running had been conditioned to believe they we a bad shooting team. They proceeded to prove it year in and year out. Its not asking a lot for a college player to hit wide open threes on a consistent basis.

I would take Dennis over McNeil too, if choosing between the two. But would take either of them, or both and be glad for it.
Do either of them have a flying chance in whatever to play wherever professionally? No, so develop what you got that does. We should absolutely not be tying up scholarships or minutes for guys that can't see the floor. We have enough of them, and it will just cause chemistry problems. Get better and recruit!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT