ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone watch Woodys press conference?

He was a 2nd team NABC All-American and 3rd team in the AP.

He was an excellent college basketball player and it was mostly clearly demonstrated his senior year.

That season a number of players had some injury issues and IU was not nearly at 100% going into the tourney. They still made the S16 but were not full strength in that loss to Bill Curley, etc. I'm sure you remember.
Like the day before yesterday, I remember.

The thing that stuck out to me was not only Woodson but the players interviewed denied vehemently being frustrated about IU's season. Ware was very nonchalant about it, like this was just another day in the office and he could not be bothered to care that he had just gotten a beat down from his schools hated rival. No emotion from anyone from IU about losing, no anger, regret, frustration.... nothing. Just "meh, maybe we'll win the next one but who really cares."

The thing that stuck out to me was not only Woodson but the players interviewed denied vehemently being frustrated about IU's season. Ware was very nonchalant about it, like this was just another day in the office and he could not be bothered to care that he had just gotten a beat down from his schools hated rival. No emotion from anyone from IU about losing, no anger, regret, frustration.... nothing. Just "meh, maybe we'll win the next one but who really cares."
a lot of these guys didn't grow up around here, and many have they sights set on the next level. Sad but true, the IU/PU game doesn't move their needle. Meanwhile guys like us have been living it for decades.

This is what comes from rental players. Especially players from outside the B1G region who never saw one game between RMK and Keady.

a lot of these guys didn't grow up around here, and many have they sights set on the next level. Sad but true, the IU/PU game doesn't move their needle. Meanwhile guys like us have been living it for decades.

This is what comes from rental players. Especially players from outside the B1G region who never saw one game between RMK and Keady.
Hate to rub this one in, but no current college player ever saw Keady vs Knight in their lifetime. You have to have been about 8 to appreciate basketball and that means even fith year seniors probably only ever saw Crean, Miller, and Woodson as IU head coaches. Everything and everyone before that is ancient history that doesn't matter to them one way or the other.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Hate to rub this one in, but no current college player ever saw Keady vs Knight in their lifetime. You have to have been about 8 to appreciate basketball and that means even fith year seniors probably only ever saw Crean, Miller, and Woodson as IU head coaches. Everything and everyone before that is ancient history that doesn't matter to them one way or the other.
Its the university that's milking every dollar of history out of the the program...not the fans.

Hate to rub this one in, but no college player ever saw Keady vs Knight in their lifetime. You have to have been about 8 to appreciate basketball and that means even fith year seniors probably only ever saw Crean, Miller, and Woodson as IU head coaches. Everything and everyone before that is ancient history that doesn't matter to them one way or the other.
I know. Getting old sucks. Painfully aware of this fact.

Still though, also tells you that in some cases, wearing the Indiana jersey might not mean as much to some players as we old guys think it should. And if that's true, then losing to Purdue means little more than losing to Santa Clara. Not calling out anyone, just stating my opinion.

I grew up in Indiana. My take is that if a weak sports school like Purdue is your big rival, you're doing it wrong.

I still get it. Hated losing to Keady! (But respected their muscled up teams.) But to me losing to Purdue is just another ugly loss. I hate losing to Illinois, Nebraska, Penn State, others we should beat too.

There's too many losses these days. Why would I single out Purdue. I don't want the entire state to suck in basketball. We sure aren't holding up our end. But it's just another loss. Of many.

Once we're really good in basketball again, if ever, the Purdue game will probably matter a lot to me once more.

Last edited:
Two ways to quit: Quit and stay....or quit and leave. Woodson chose the former. The condition of IU basketball in 2024 is a disgrace. The university itself is responsible for it. They get all the cash while providing no results in return. Its a great deal if you can manage those terms. As long as the alums and fans are willing to fund this farce.....it will continue.
Another horrible hire we are stuck with just like archie. Edey was basically just laughing at us the other night.

Woodson built a team in year one to beat one of Purdue’s best teams in history. Then he beat them twice last year. This year it’s a rebuilt roster with young McDonalds all Americans. He’s doing fine.
He sux ..And 80 pct of the fan base knows it.
I know a major major donor..He has apathy towards the program..
You loose ten like him..Buckner or not..
He's gone !!

No college player today in or out of the B1G region ever saw a game between RMK and Keady unless it was on video.

Reactions: kkott
That is true and I haven't thought any current recruits/players would have seen Bob Knight coaching at IU for many years. He was fired in 2000 and that woud mean a player would have to have been born in 1995 to even be 5 years old when those games were played. I'd imagine XJ is one of the few players still playing born before 2000.

But, having said that, todays players still know IU has a great bball history. They all know we were coached by a HOF coach and have won NCs because they hear it from family members and coaches, and also from telecasts where we are on national TV far more than our recent results would call for. So, they may not have seen it, but they do know IU has a great bball history, just as I know Cincy and San Francisco did at one time, even though I didn't watch them during their heydays.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Yes, but IU is a leader in diversity, equality and inclusion. Shouldn't that be worth something during this administration of woeful...excuse me, WOKEfulness?

I saved an article in the IDS (now the IWS? (Indiana Weekly Student) printed several years ago. IU was offering a class in Grade Surprise Phenomenon. I shit you, not! It instructed students how to deal with the "trauma" of getting a course grade lower than what you thought deserved. Maybe the Indiana Weakly Student would be as appropriate. Apparently, on your way to this class you could stop off at a designated "safe place" for free hot chocolate and cookies to ameliorate your inner angst over the reality of life under a newly elected Trump administration.

Can it be long before we see "Myles Brand lives!" written on the bathroom stalls and class room halls? Next time I eat a Strom at Nicks I might have to take along a Magic Marker of indelible ink. You'll know abraxis and Kilroy were here and he's had his sandwich, washed down in a red buffalo-embossed glass jar...a PBR of good "head" the cute, IU coed "hands" me before receiving my impressive "tip" for her service. No one ever walks out of Nick's without a grin, and this one's gonna be my "big cheesy," shit-eat'n grin, the kind that make's 'em want to wipe that face!

I can't tell you how many times growing up I heard someone tell me to wipe that shit-eat'n grin off your face, (abraxis). Other times they'd look at me and break out in song, "You got the cutest, little baby-face." They never continued the song to its fruition. I always thought that odd. Needless to say, three days before my official retirement, I quite shaving and haven't since. The other day I ran into someone I hadn't seen for awhile. He told me I look more like Grizzly Adams every time he sees me. When one reaches 73 tomorrow, you weigh every comment on scales when it comes to comments about your personal appearance. So after self-deliberation void of any length, I thanked him for the compliment and he probably wondered why. In walk away, I turned around for one last grin, not needing to grin him any longer. It was at that moment, he in wonder no wong...excuse me longer, the truth that was spoken.

Wife told me the other day I was starting to smell like an old man. People wonder why I've gone quiet...shy man that I am. Sadly, I'm not kidding so I just thought if I could help someone... an honest inkling of the state of being left coming, it wouldn't shock those in drop between her knees never coming.

As bad as they are in this season come undone, I hate to wait 8 days before another one, this next one finally coming. "Whew!" I needed that and "Amen" said never hurt, that, too.

This one will someday be filed under "Post-Covid Mental States", sub-category "Grandiose Delusions" the current generation's coming Grand Illusions of Liam I Am...
...out revisited, the experiment"s never ceasing, some not getting.
dumb

Yea, Woody may also be telling them the same thing he says in pressers (we’re in the thick of it…). Of course, we aren’t.

We’ve had plenty of out of state players understand and embrace the Purdue (and UK) rivalry. If going into Mackey doesn’t get your competitive juices going, we’ve got the wrong guys.

Last edited:
No college player today in or out of the B1G region ever saw a game between RMK and Keady unless it was on video.
true. maybe a better statement is that we may have some players who never followed, or cared much about the IU/PU game before they got here, and maybe don't appreciate the nature of the rivalry. And since they don't plan to be here all that long...don't really care to appreciate it that much. Two yrs from now, it will be remembered as 'just another game' in their memories.

true. maybe a better statement is that we may have some players who never followed, or cared much about the IU/PU game before they got here, and maybe don't appreciate the nature of the rivalry. And since they don't plan to be here all that long...don't really care to appreciate it that much. Two yrs from now, it will be remembered as 'just another game' in their memories.
You cannot go out and hire mercenaries and then expect them to act like traditional college players. They are there for the paycheck and what it can do for their future careers, the name on the uni means zero to them, same with the traditions and history.

You cannot go out and hire mercenaries and then expect them to act like traditional college players. They are there for the paycheck and what it can do for their future careers, the name on the uni means zero to them, same with the traditions and history.
But it seems to work for Kansas, UConn, Duke and UNC. Like Kurt Russell said in "Tombstone"..."I already have a guilty conscience....Might as well have the money too".

But it seems to work for Kansas, UConn, Duke and UNC. Like Kurt Russell said in "Tombstone"..."I already have a guilty conscience....Might as well have the money too".
They have core kids that buy into the traditions and are the teams leaders, supplimented with a couple of one and dones to round out there needs. Huggins and Calipari cheat like mad dogs, go all in on one and dones, and some years they have great teams, and some years they stink. But since the coaches control the purse strings, they force their players to buy in to get paid. UK fans wanted Calipari fired for last years team.

Yea. There is a way to do it. It’s obvious — establish a culture/identity and fit players in to that, and those players can be NIL or not. Not all NIL players are mercenaries. If Cody Zeller came around again, we would have to give him something close to market for NIL or else we are just trying to rip him off.

Right now we have no culture/identity and our players don’t fit, they’re more mercenary in nature. This is a problem beyond roster construction, which also is wrong.

Exactly. So why not go back to recruiting Indiana kids who play for the name on the front of the jersey.

When CMW has the players he's had some success. Can't argue the fact he's done more since his arrival than the last few coaches. And he's had some success in recruiting. The problem is he hasn't sustained and improved on anything yet. This season is a step back and he will need to add multiple top level pieces if he wants to take them up a notch.

We've also seen CMW gets locked in and reluctant to change. He's got to figure out how to play when he doesn't have TJD and a bunch of seniors.

When CMW has the players he's had some success. Can't argue the fact he's done more since his arrival than the last few coaches. And he's had some success in recruiting. The problem is he hasn't sustained and improved on anything yet. This season is a step back and he will need to add multiple top level pieces if he wants to take them up a notch.

We've also seen CMW gets locked in and reluctant to change. He's got to figure out how to play when he doesn't have TJD and a bunch of seniors.
= Tom Crean

I think he knows way more about Basketball than Crean. But he does seem to be bound and determined to play his way no matter how poorly that suits the players he has.
What evidence do we have that he knows ‘way more’ than Crean? Not a Crean apologist but he took a program out of the depths to #1 in the country and two sweet sixteens.

What confidence do you have that Woody will do any of the above?

This is Purdue’s year (again), and they should focus on their job of winning the national championship instead of Edey shooting threes and running up the score on a rebuilt Indiana team. They are losers. We will be good next year and will outmatch Purdue at all five positions.
Stop it. You’re killing me.

• Haha
Reactions: mohoosier

He has? What “last few coaches”? He sure as hell hasn’t come close to matching the clapper. The little tyke that followed him? Yeah, maybe. But that’s still just one.

He sux ..And 80 pct of the fan base knows it.
I know a major major donor..He has apathy towards the program..
You loose ten like him..Buckner or not..
He's gone !!
That is interesting as I don’t think it’s a foregone conclusion all the NIL money that will likely be needed to rebuild this roster this spring will be as readily available as some think. If big donors, as you pointed out, have lost faith in Woodson, are they likely to open their checkbooks to buy all the players the staff wants? Walker and Johnson are definitely gone. There’s a chance Ware and Mgbako could leave for the NBA. Some guys could transfer. It could be a considerable roster rebuild will be needed.

Reactions: Tammany Hall
What evidence do we have that he knows ‘way more’ than Crean? Not a Crean apologist but he took a program out of the depths to #1 in the country and two sweet sixteens.

What confidence do you have that Woody will do any of the above?

I don't have confidence that Woodson will do any of the things that you say, but I never claimed he would.

Not defending him, but he would have the yr it was cancelled. Miller also never had a team that was anywhere close to being rated as low as this one.
Bingo. Archie’s worst ranking was around #70 vs the #100 ranked powerhouse Woody has built. And Arch couldn’t spend big, conference leading NIL.

Crean was way better than Woody. He could win the conference and had a few S16s. No NIL for him either.

Crean and Archie aren’t high bars. Says a lot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT