ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone KNOW When The NCAA Plans to Issue New Rules RE:

MyTeamIsOnTheFloor

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2001
Duckburg
NIL and Portal?

Right now no one can plan to have players past the current season, if that. It is an unsustainable model Of constant free agency.

The O’Bannon case was filed in 2009, and finalized when the SCOTUS refused to hear it on appeal in 2015.

The Alston case followed nearly immediately, and SCOTUS issued THAT ruling 6/21/2021.

Congress is NOT going to give the NCAA a Sherman Act exemption ala pro sports, so why is this taking so long? Planning should have begun in 2009.

Meanwhile Ohio State pays out $13,000,000 in NIL while we paid $150,000.

• Wow
Reactions: mk30 and vesuvius13
NIL and Portal?

Right now no one can plan to have players past the current season, if that. It is an unsustainable model Of constant free agency.

The O’Bannon case was filed in 2009, and finalized when the SCOTUS refused to hear it on appeal in 2015.

The Alston case followed nearly immediately, and SCOTUS issued THAT ruling 6/21/2021.

Congress is NOT going to give the NCAA a Sherman Act exemption ala pro sports, so why is this taking so long? Planning should have begun in 2009.

The NCAA wants nothing to do with this. They’ve lost lawsuit after lawsuit and are done trying to limit what and how the athletes are paid.

NIL and Portal?

Is that last sentence accurate? If so, how in the hell is IU ever going to even kind of compete against that?

Athletes will be demanding a share of conference revenues, in addition to NIL, soon enough.
Rev share for players is probably a GOOD thing for us. We suck at the NIL game (so far) so players not that motivated to come to Bloomington. Rev share means we have funds to pay players. It won’t help us get ahead much in B1G recruiting but should help a great deal recruiting against other conferences with worse TV deals

Rev share for players is probably a GOOD thing for us. We suck at the NIL game (so far) so players not that motivated to come to Bloomington. Rev share means we have funds to pay players. It won’t help us get ahead much in B1G recruiting but should help a great deal recruiting against other conferences with worse TV deals
Agreed. It will be a field leveler for the have not schools in the BiG (and every P5 conference).

NIL and Portal?

I suppose the NCAA could institute a academic transfer test and minimum academic requirements in order to transfer.

🤣🤣🤣🤣. I can't believe I just typed that. As if the NCAA gives a crap about academics.

But if the NCAA did actually care, academic minimum requirements could slow the transfer rate.

In my opinion, there is a misconception about NIL Money. The assumption seems to be that every recruit or portal transfer will base his decision only upon how much NIL money He can receive. If I were Coaching, that is the last guy I want on my team. That's the guy Who probably has an entourage of remote family members blowing Smoke up his butt telling Him how great He is, and how He deserves every dollar he can get, That is the guy Who will enter the transfer portal every year and look at the next team that will offer another nickel ( Now that We have established Who and What We are, all that is left is to agree on the price.

There are a lot of kids Who will put more value on the possibility of getting playing time early in his career, the value of education from the School of his chosen major, and geographic closeness to family, among other factors.

• Haha
Reactions: CaptainZigZag
This is what should have been done from the start. Instead Coaches and administrators are feasting off of the bllion dollar media contracts while the fans are being asked to fund the NIL piggy bank? Make’s not sense at all.

Reactions: UncleMark
Congress will eventually get involved.
God I hope not. If we think it's a cluster now just get those bastards involved. 31T in debt, SS runs on cash flow cause the trust fund is a memory, Medicare, Medicaid are arenas for fraud, waste, redundancy, nipple suckers and mountains of red tape. Much rather have the NCAA get richer than the Feds involved stealing their share.

Last edited:
There are a lot of kids Who will put more value on the possibility of getting playing time early in his career, the value of education from the School of his chosen major, and geographic closeness to family, among other factors.
No there aren't.

Even 18 year Olds understand that they can't play football forever and ought to get the money while they can.

Reactions: jsenleo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT