ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else fucking despise the way we play basketball?

IU can defend retaining him....Behind closed doors, the argument is that so many high level programs are replacing their coach...that there really isn't a desirable replacement available. And in IU's case, that might be true. It would take a generational and monumental hire to wake this elephant up from its coma.
Instead they will wait until next year, suck balls, and there will not be any good replacements available.

I’ve been complaining about it since early in his first year.

Trying to be more positive lately.

Hard to have optimism right now. This is not a good look. You can visually see and feel how ill prepared we are…for stuff that we would have known was likely coming.
You would think that after You play a team twice during the regular season and lose both times by double digits due in large part to their 3 point shooting, You would have a plan to defend it the third time you play them. Or our Guards are so slow and unathletic that They can't defend it.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigMobe and dr.jb
It's unbearable to watch. Even the wins are gut wrenching and leave me exasperated. Game days have a sense of dread like a trip to the dentist...30 plus times a season November through March FFS. Most games I start out watching the broadcast on the big screen in the man cave, and by the 2nd half I've turned it off and have it playing but muted in a minimized window on my laptop or desk top while surfing or watching a different game.

Damned near three decades of mediocre basketball with a smattering of hope interspersed here and there has left me in a cream and crimson malaise. Always a day late or a dollar short would best describe the last 25 years or so of IU Basketball. I just thank the heavens that I don't care as much as I did 40 years ago, otherwise I would've had several heart attacks by now.

It's unbearable to watch. Even the wins are gut wrenching and leave me exasperated. Game days have a sense of dread like a trip to the dentist...30 plus times a season November through March FFS. Most games I start out watching the broadcast on the big screen in the man cave, and by the 2nd half I've turned it off and have it playing but muted in a minimized window on my laptop or desk top while surfing or watching a different game.

Damned near three decades of mediocre basketball with a smattering of hope interspersed here and there has left me in a cream and crimson malaise. Always a day late or a dollar short would best describe the last 25 years or so of IU Basketball. I just thank the heavens that I don't care as much as I did 40 years ago, otherwise I would've had several heart attacks by now.
Yep. Gamedays are now "I aint got time for this today" ... Then followed by a "Idgaf, they dont, so why should I?"

You would think that after You play a team twice during the regular season and lose both times by double digits due in large part to their 3 point shooting, You would have a plan to defend it the third time you play them. Or our Guards are so slow and unathletic that They can't defend it.
you would think that after you play a team twice during the regular season and lose both times by double digits due to forcing it inside to get double/triple teamed while everybody else just stands around watching......

you would have a plan to do something different the third time to create some better scoring opportunities

our coaching staff is too dense and stubborn to learn from it's mistakes

you would think that after you play a team twice during the regular season and lose both times by double digits due to forcing it inside to get double/triple teamed while everybody else just stands around watching......

you would have a plan to do something different the third time to create some better scoring opportunities

our coaching staff is too dense and stubborn to learn from it's mistakes
Bottom of league in coaching staff and guards = these results

.. it's finally over, his getting tossed is just icing on the top. i'm no lawyer, but this non-recruiting thing for a head basketball coach that makes 4M might be construed by some as "failure to perform" contractually. He's dabbling in "with cause" territory if true.
I’m wondering if he just isn’t up to the physical aspect of recruiting. He has had a chronic back issue. Can he ride in a car for 2 hours, then sit on bleachers for another couple of hours. Then another car ride home. Or a plane ride, then a car ride, bleachers, car ride, hard hotel bed, etc etc.
He didn’t look so good with the long walk to the locker room last night.

That’s true. Maybe we should break out the ladder and cut down some nets. Maybe print some T-shirts. We’ll take down Nebraska eventually. Once we get over that hump, We can focus on beating Northwestern again.
I’m still working on t-shirts for next season:
Dump the Hump
Lump the Hump
Trump the Hump
Pump the Hump

Still looking for ideas.

I’m wondering if he just isn’t up to the physical aspect of recruiting. He has had a chronic back issue. Can he ride in a car for 2 hours, then sit on bleachers for another couple of hours. Then another car ride home. Or a plane ride, then a car ride, bleachers, car ride, hard hotel bed, etc etc.
He didn’t look so good with the long walk to the locker room last night.
Maybe that is why he checked out early?

Reactions: IUbball_lifer
I watched some of the first half. We were up 17-15 then one of the teams started hitting threes.
Then all of a sudden we are down 59-29.
Ha, that’s funny. I was in Orlando, FL and somehow found the game on the radio in my rental car and it was 17-15, IU. I had to check into the hotel and later decided to check my CBS app and it was Nebraska by 23 at the half. I wondered what the hell happened!

But the college game is played “inside out”.
To a large degree, Woody, you are correct. But if you would pay attention to what good teams are doing, it isn’t done by posting bigs and kicking out from the double teams. Except for Purdue, who has a massive freak, other good teams are not doing that. Among other reasons, it is prone to turnovers.
Instead they are running perimeter action that creates dribble drive and kick opportunities (inside out). That’s how good teams are playing. Get some shooters and wings, hire an asst who can design an offense, and wake the fck up, Woody. It couldn’t be more obvious, even for you.

Reactions: bawlmer
I’m still working on t-shirts for next season:
Dump the Hump
Lump the Hump
Trump the Hump
Pump the Hump

Still looking for ideas.
How about a quote that says "just gotta get over the hump" with a picture of Mt Everest

he ain't gettin a year 4 after that display, no way, no how. it was exactly as fish described "disoriented", they don't have any contingency plan when their wimp/finesse attempts at bully ball don't work ... IU NEVER played this way, they are trying to beat Purdue at Purdue's game. That's why Purdue is Purdue, bad idea. That's why we see the cheap fouls, X's erotic defensive tactics, they can't compete, poorly coached unbalanced team
What? You said, "X's erotic defensive tactics."

Either turn off your spellchecker or turn it on.

I hate Woodson.

Truthfully, I hate watching most college basketball today.
I watched some the Zags and St. Mary game and IMO, it is just not enjoyable to watch.
NBA style but without the talent at every position.
I guess, NBA light.

Reactions: Seyton
Dolsons balls are in Buckners purse

I get your outrage but exactly what is Dolson supposed to do?
If the rumors are true and he is getting overruled, his only other choice would be to resign.

A LOT of people rant on about the administration and to me, if there is a change that needs to be made at IU is to get the politics out of the athletic department. Let the AD run his department and rise or fall on his own merit. I do not know if other schools have that problem but it certainly appears IU does.

If the rumors are true and he is getting overruled, his only other choice would be to resign.

A LOT of people rant on about the administration and to me, if there is a change that needs to be made at IU is to get the politics out of the athletic department. Let the AD run his department and rise or fall on his own merit. I do not know if other schools have that problem but it certainly appears IU does.
Yea. I hear Texas had a lot of meddling too that held them back despite being a mega rich athletic department.

Personally, I don’t care much about the coaching lists, what IU needs more than anything is to let Dolson do his job and support him.

There are probably five to 15 coaches out there that would work at IU — as in make us competitive and stable. I don’t know who they are because I am not interviewing them to understand them and their fit with IU.

Scott is scary because he had some sort of big role in the Woody hire and he learned from Fred who missed on his three major FB and BB hires. He has limited AD experience. But the Cig hire gives me hope and Scott is by far the best person to make this decision among all the people that currently influence IUBB.

If Scott is supported and IUBB struggles, hire an experienced AD with a track record of good coaching hires and then support that person.

This is not that complicated. Now watch us do the opposite.

Reactions: Al Bino
Yea. I hear Texas had a lot of meddling too that held them back despite being a mega rich athletic department.

Personally, I don’t care much about the coaching lists, what IU needs more than anything is to let Dolson do his job and support him.

There are probably five to 15 coaches out there that would work at IU — as in make us competitive and stable. I don’t know who they are because I am not interviewing them to understand them and their fit with IU.

Scott is scary because he had some sort of big role in the Woody hire and he learned from Fred who missed on his three major FB and BB hires. He has limited AD experience. But the Cig hire gives me hope and Scott is by far the best person to make this decision among all the people that currently influence IUBB.

If Scott is supported and IUBB struggles, hire an experienced AD with a track record of good coaching hires and then support that person.

This is not that complicated. Now watch us do the opposite.

I agree. SD seems to have had more culpability in the Woodson hire than what I had thought but even at that, I think he was steered Woodson's way and it was his first hire if I am not mistaken.

He moved on Archie and Allen when most said he wouldn't and as you mention, it appears that the CCC hire is good so I have quite a bit of faith in him if he would be allowed to just do his job without interference.

Reactions: demunn
I agree. SD seems to have had more culpability in the Woodson hire than what I had thought but even at that, I think he was steered Woodson's way and it was his first hire if I am not mistaken.

He moved on Archie and Allen when most said he wouldn't and as you mention, it appears that the CCC hire is good so I have quite a bit of faith in him if he would be allowed to just do his job without interference.
Quinn’s term is up in 2025. To some extent he has been too involved/conflicted with IUBB. Maybe his replacement sticks to standard oversight — set agreed to goals/expectations with Scott/Pam and it’s up to him to achieve those.

Scott and Pam seemed to work well together with the Cig process. That’s some reason for hope.

It’s hard to know what’s really going on as an outsider, but mgmt of the bball program is clearly broken.

Last edited:
Quinn’s term is up in 2025. To some extent he has been too involved/conflicted with IUBB. Maybe his replacement sticks to standard oversight — set agreed to goals/expectations with Scott and it’s up to him to achieve those.

Scott and Pam seemed to work well together with the Cig process. That’s some reason for hope.

It’s hard to know what’s really going on as an outsider, but mgmt of the bball program is clearly broken.
If oody continues shitting the bed and Cig underperforms in his first season, Dolson might very well be sent packing.

I guess for starters, the PR around this has been laughable (and that IS on Dolson IMO). What was the point of the timing of the "he's staying" announcement? The fact they didn't make this announcement earlier when the seat was warming up only set expectations that perhaps a change was being considered.

Second, has there been any announcement by Dolson, Woodson or admin on McNeely? Maybe I've missed that or maybe it's protocol not to comment on these situations. Perhaps they are making efforts to have him reconsider but I think that is an ill advised waste of energy if he's made the decision he doesn't want to be here.

I would think that Dolson has better options (including resignation) than to tarnish his brand if he wants a change but the administration is effectively the primary decision maker.

I know it's early but suggesting a 5th year former Furman starter is our path to success does not install a lot of confidence that there is truly a gameplan in place.

I guess for starters, the PR around this has been laughable (and that IS on Dolson IMO). What was the point of the timing of the "he's staying" announcement? The fact they didn't make this announcement earlier when the seat was warming up only set expectations that perhaps a change was being considered.

Second, has there been any announcement by Dolson, Woodson or admin on McNeely? Maybe I've missed that or maybe it's protocol not to comment on these situations. Perhaps they are making efforts to have him reconsider but I think that is an ill advised waste of energy if he's made the decision he doesn't want to be here.

I would think that Dolson has better options (including resignation) than to tarnish his brand if he wants a change but the administration is effectively the primary decision maker.

I know it's early but suggesting a 5th year former Furman starter is our path to success does not install a lot of confidence that there is truly a gameplan in place.
Two ways to quit....Quit and leave or quit and stay. Woodson has chosen the latter.

Love the hire but unless we recruit God to play QB and Jesus to play defense it's going to be hard to see many B10 wins with this schedule.
We have a good QB and several good WRs.

Bball is a mess. May as well be optimistic with Fball. Who knows how it goes but we have a coach + staff bringing in a system that has worked. There is no law that says we can’t be decent at football.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT