ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else have problem shutting off their brain at night?

patrick593

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
May 12, 2007
Columbus, OH
I realize this is begging for sarcastic remarks, drugs and alcohol jokes, etc.

But recently I haven't been able to sleep because I spend all night thinking about things that are stressing me out.

I'm on my 3rd cup of coffee today because I got about 3 hours of sleep last night.

I've heard that you shouldn't watch TV for hour before bed. Also, blue ambient light can help you sleep as well.

Curious if any of you have experienced this

But recently I haven't been able to sleep because I spend all night thinking about things that are stressing me out.

I'm on my 3rd cup of coffee today because I got about 3 hours of sleep last night.

I've heard that you shouldn't watch TV for hour before bed. Also, blue ambient light can help you sleep as well.

Not very often, but I have had that issue before. Stress will do it. After about 30 min or so of thinking about stressful chit if I haven't been able to shut it off, I'm toast. Most of the time my kids wear me the hell out so I have no issues falling asleep.

You don't have a sleep disorder. You have anxiety.

Treat your anxiety and your sleep will improve.

I used to have that problem. Over time I learned to let it go, I'm not solving the problem then so why worry.

Getting high helped, but I can't do that all the time, so I just trained my brain to relax.

Guy can't sleep and is downing coffee.

Our society isn't really this dumb, is it?

no
I used to have that problem. Over time I learned to let it go, I'm not solving the problem then so why worry.

Getting high helped, but I can't do that all the time, so I just trained my brain to relax.
yup. Buddha called that proper thought. No sense in worrying about something you can't change at present. Waste of thought, waste of time.

Reactions: PhishPhan682

Seriously, I wish I could... In college I would smoke about an hour before bed and I just went to sleep so nicely.
Melatonin leaves me in a fog all morning long. Its usually 11-12pm the next day that I'm finally fully awake

I don't usually have coffee of caffeine after noon but I can't hang on today. Never after 5 though

Couple of things : Caffeine can affect your system for a long time after ingestion. And it can stress out your adrenal system which doesn't play well with anxiety, like what UTFO wrote.

Last edited:
I don't usually have coffee of caffeine after noon but I can't hang on today. Never after 5 though

Yeah but that's not helping your anxiety during the day. You're worked up at night from what goes on during the day, after all.

Don't quit altogether...just drink enough to get a poop on and drink water the rest of the day. Cut out pop, too.

Our society downplays caffeine's effecst, I think. We tend to view it as completely benign.

But if you're anxious - - you simply have to cut back on it.

Seriously, take a second and read this board.

Do you really think too much brain function is a problem for many here?

Yeah but that's not helping your anxiety during the day. You're worked up at night from what goes on during the day, after all.

Don't quit altogether...just drink enough to get a poop on and drink water the rest of the day. Cut out pop, too.

Our society downplays caffeine's effecst, I think. We tend to view it as completely benign.

But if you're anxious - - you simply have to cut back on it.
Good advice thank you... I never really thought about anxiety.
I think the nature of sales isn't good for me either. I had an insanely successful year last year and I'm feeling the pressure to do it again. There is a massive order hanging over my head that will either make or break not only MY year but the companies year.
I did everything I could do to influence it, supposedly it worked, but its been 2 weeks and the order isn't in house yet.
I'm at 50% pace of my number (which is 100% normal run rate) after 1 qtr so I'm fully on edge.

Never really thought of it as anxiety, just as stress... didn't realize that coffee, even in the morning is probably not helping.

I have a lot of trouble sleeping; especially after I got in my 40s. Never slept a lot, and then started having a lot of interrupted sleep after that. Mine is a variety of things: stress, light sleeper, apnea/breathing, and probably prostate/urination. I have to be intentional about sleep. I try to limit caffeine to 2 cups of hot tea in the morning and none after lunch. I rarely drink coffee anymore. I generally don't drink anything, other than a sip of water after about 7pm on most work days if I'm at home. I try and workout or take a walk in the afternoon or evening most days and I make sure I pee fully before bed. The other thing that's helped because of snoring was I bought a mouthpiece called ZQuiet. It helps hold your airway open so you don't snore. Your dentist can probably make a custom one for you and I'm sure there are others, but that's helped me. I take Melatonin, but honestly don't feel like it does much for me. It's never made me groggy like you describe, so if it's helping, I'd look to use it but lower your dosage. I think there are a lot of 2-3mg doses, but then also some that are 5-8mg, so maybe you could check and use a lower dosage if you're taking a high one. Lastly, I try and read for 30-60 minutes before bed. I'd heard bright lights like TV can mess up your sleep patterns, and reading helps relax me. It's a lot of effort and I don't do all this all the time, but if I start having issues or need a really good night's sleep, I try and do as many as I can. PS. sex helps too!

All the time. Yes, to all the caffeine advice and also the tv. Also don't be on the computer an hour or so before bedtime. There are some other natural remedies besides melatonin , including some teas that are good an hour or so before you are ready to go. I get in spurts for several days where I have trouble. Sometimes I can tell as soon as I lay down I'm not going to sleep. Then that gets you anxious and keep looking at the clock, etc. Sometimes taking a shower , whatever relaxes you. I've always read for a few minutes before I go to bed, and that seems to help too. Establishing a routine...

Reactions: kkott
All the time. Yes, to all the caffeine advice and also the tv. Also don't be on the computer an hour or so before bedtime. There are some other natural remedies besides melatonin , including some teas that are good an hour or so before you are ready to go. I get in spurts for several days where I have trouble. Sometimes I can tell as soon as I lay down I'm not going to sleep. Then that gets you anxious and keep looking at the clock, etc. Sometimes taking a shower , whatever relaxes you. I've always read for a few minutes before I go to bed, and that seems to help too. Establishing a routine...
I had to stop melatonin because I just would be in a fog all morning. There would be times that I'd drive halfway across the state before full coming to

I have a lot of trouble sleeping; especially after I got in my 40s. Never slept a lot, and then started having a lot of interrupted sleep after that. Mine is a variety of things: stress, light sleeper, apnea/breathing, and probably prostate/urination. I have to be intentional about sleep. I try to limit caffeine to 2 cups of hot tea in the morning and none after lunch. I rarely drink coffee anymore. I generally don't drink anything, other than a sip of water after about 7pm on most work days if I'm at home. I try and workout or take a walk in the afternoon or evening most days and I make sure I pee fully before bed. The other thing that's helped because of snoring was I bought a mouthpiece called ZQuiet. It helps hold your airway open so you don't snore. Your dentist can probably make a custom one for you and I'm sure there are others, but that's helped me. I take Melatonin, but honestly don't feel like it does much for me. It's never made me groggy like you describe, so if it's helping, I'd look to use it but lower your dosage. I think there are a lot of 2-3mg doses, but then also some that are 5-8mg, so maybe you could check and use a lower dosage if you're taking a high one. Lastly, I try and read for 30-60 minutes before bed. I'd heard bright lights like TV can mess up your sleep patterns, and reading helps relax me. It's a lot of effort and I don't do all this all the time, but if I start having issues or need a really good night's sleep, I try and do as many as I can. PS. sex helps too!

Forgot one other thing and it's probably the most important, or can be: breathing! Obviously everyone breaths, but when Ziz says he "trained his brain" or with meditation (and I know very, very little about it) generally that means proper breathing and that might help you. What I try and do is take 10 deep breaths before bed: really deep. I read an article several years ago and it said you should fully exhale your lungs and then breathe in using your diaphragm, not your chest. It described basically filling your lungs in 2 steps: the lower lung first using your diaphragm which should expand your stomach and once it's maxed, then filling your upper lung which will expand your chest. Alot of people only breath with the upper part and often their stomach will actually contract. You should only breathe through your nose, or at the minimum breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth. If I take a full 10 breaths, I've found my pulse will drop by as much as 10 bpm.

I've just started to look in to meditation and that is a whole galaxy of info and techniques. A very simple thing to do is sort of a chant or mantra and you can tie it in to the breathing method I mentioned. When you inhale think or say to yourself "let" and when you exhale "go". As you might guess, I struggle with sleep, so when I'm having a bad stretch I go back and do as many of these techniques as necessary.

Last edited:
Good advice thank you... I never really thought about anxiety.
I think the nature of sales isn't good for me either. I had an insanely successful year last year and I'm feeling the pressure to do it again. There is a massive order hanging over my head that will either make or break not only MY year but the companies year.
I did everything I could do to influence it, supposedly it worked, but its been 2 weeks and the order isn't in house yet.
I'm at 50% pace of my number (which is 100% normal run rate) after 1 qtr so I'm fully on edge.

Never really thought of it as anxiety, just as stress... didn't realize that coffee, even in the morning is probably not helping.

Or you could pretend you're back in college every now and again. Raise your spirits. Think about things from a different angle.

Ive had trouble for last 2-3 years - bought this book called 'Golf is More than Your Score' about 2 yrs ago - usually a paragraph knocks me out...almost to chapter 3, so I should be good for next 12-15 years
hahahahahahahahhaaa....

I don't get sleepy. I have to force myself to go to sleep around midnight on the weekdays. I would be wide awake at 3 a.m. if I waited to get sleepy. I usually read for about an hour and easily fall asleep. If something is on my mind, I think about something else and fall asleep pretty quick.

Or you could pretend you're back in college every now and again. Raise your spirits. Think about things from a different angle.
I have reoccurring nightmares that I'm back in school and realized there was a class I never went to all semester and it's the day of the final exam and I don't even know where the class is and I can't find my schedule and I have no idea what time the exam is. Nightmare.

I have reoccurring nightmares that I'm back in school and realized there was a class I never went to all semester and it's the day of the final exam and I don't even know where the class is and I can't find my schedule and I have no idea what time the exam is. Nightmare.

I bet boning Rebecca DeMornay might help you!

Sounds like my Junior year in Bloomington.

Wasn't the greatest of students back then...

I know that dream. I used to have similar recurring nightmare about 3-4 years ago.

I was back in high school because I didn't graduate or something. I was always looking for my schedule of classes in the guidance office. Then I am looking for my class on the 3rd floor and I haven't been to class or completed homework for 3 weeks and I'm likely going to fail again.

Idk if these will fix anything but they can't hurt. There's a computer program called f.lux that coordinates the light wavelengths emitted from your computer screen with the time of day and ambient lighting (pretty simple app) so you're body isn't quite as out of whack at night. There's a phone app too called Bluelight filter that does something similar. I've found them useful for being able to study later at night and then go to bed afterwards quickly (although this wouldn't really help with any causes of anxiety).

I have that dream all the time...

Do you exercise on a regular basis? I've heard you aren't supposed to exercise shortly before bed,but if you do it earlier in the evening with enough time to cool down with time to spare then it could help. As was said below coffee might be affecting you as well. I am very sensitive to caffeine. If I have some past 3p.m. then I have trouble getting to sleep. If you are able to share, what exactly is stressing you out? Are these things that will be fixed over time or are they enduring? I know I am asking a lot of questions here,but just one more. Are you talking to others about the things that are stressing you out? There is something about sharing our emotional troubles with others that helps.

Most nights I either watch or listen to a podcast. I'm usually out within the first 10 minutes. It's always something I can ultimately just listen to, not too interesting that it compels me to really pay attention, not too boring that I start to think of other things. I play one game of solitaire or some other puzzle game on my iPad too. The blue light doesn't tend to keep me up, and I'm usually on my computer right up until I go to sleep.

Regular sex helps too. Try that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT