ADVERTISEMENT

Any experience with Audis?

zeke4ahs

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 26, 2003
I came home from vacation and suddenly my 2015 car with almost 100,000 on it was lit up like a Christmas tree. Not worth putting a ton of money in it. I like midsize and need a convertible. 😎 Input? Also thoughts on working with Carvana? I’m lazy and hate with a passion negotiating. My dad worked at GM and always got the discount so don’t have experience with much else.

I came home from vacation and suddenly my 2015 car with almost 100,000 on it was lit up like a Christmas tree. Not worth putting a ton of money in it. I like midsize and need a convertible. 😎 Input? Also thoughts on working with Carvana? I’m lazy and hate with a passion negotiating. My dad worked at GM and always got the discount so don’t have experience with much else.
Yeah last Audi I had crapped out at around 100k. Timing chain and other stuff. I swear they are all the same (Land Rover bmw Audi) and designed to fail around then. Bullshit

My bride has an Audi a4 which she loves and I hate. I’m no fan of German cars. Too much maintenance. I prefer Lexus/Toyota but I don’t know if you can find a mid-size convertible. BMW or a Mustang, but not really mid-size, or go big and go classic with an early-60s Caddy . . .

My bride has an Audi a4 which she loves and I hate. I’m no fan of German cars. Too much maintenance. I prefer Lexus/Toyota but I don’t know if you can find a mid-size convertible. BMW or a Mustang, but not really mid-size, or go big and go classic with an early-60s Caddy . . .
I’ve been looking at BMW. Used to like Mustangs but now want a more classic look. I’ve had a hard top Volkswagen convertible Eos ( three different ones) and loved them. They don’t make them anymore though. Love the size and hard top ease.

What type of gas does it take?

Why next get a Lexus or an Acura? They last a lot longer. Carvana is very overpriced.

Miata! Find biggest dealer with most inventory. Contract via their website and ask for lowest out the door price. Do all paperwork electronically. Pick up car and you done. Also check a few different places to find lowest price.

If not Miata, I’d probably go Audi or BMW for convertible.

• Love
Reactions: larsIU and Mgdriver
Why next get a Lexus or an Acura? They last a lot longer. Carvana is very overpriced.
Acura hardtop convertible isn’t out yet and Lexus starts at 107,000. Just on my quick estimate, carvana was giving me $4000 more for trade in than Car Max. Probably get a used with low mileage.

Miata! Find biggest dealer with most inventory. Contract via their website and ask for lowest out the door price. Do all paperwork electronically. Pick up car and you done. Also check a few different places to find lowest price.

If not Miata, I’d probably go Audi or BMW for convertible.
Miata is too little, but they are cute! Had a Solstice back in the day I loved. Ordered it before it was even out, but not now. Looking at BMW too. NM, just saw they make bigger ones now.

Last edited:
Used to like Mustangs but now want a more classic look.

giphy.gif

Miata is too little, but they are cute! Had a Solstice back in the day I loved. Ordered it before it was even out, but not now. Looking at BMW too.
Oh wait! They make some bigger ones now. I’ll look.

I’ve been looking at BMW. Used to like Mustangs but now want a more classic look. I’ve had a hard top Volkswagen convertible Eos ( three different ones) and loved them. They don’t make them anymore though. Love the size and hard top ease.
Can’t go wrong with a BMW 430i convertible or an M4 convertible. My wife has the 430i and loves it. It’s hard too but I think all new ones are soft only.

Lots. We are on our our 7th. Love the feel and drive. Never a problem with any of them. But our 1990 one had an electrical problem with the seat.

We bought an A5 Cabrio for our 22,000 mile road trip of US and Canada. Compared it to the E class Cabrio and the Audi easily won us over. Again, ride and feel. The Benz felt mushy. The A5 performed great. The only problem was I hit a road defect and put a tiny crack in a wheel. The price you pay for low profile tires. Replaced all 4 wheels and tires with an inch smaller diameter wheel which were identical to original design. Car rode better with deeper tires.

Current model A6 with 6cyl is absolutely best car I ever owned. Sadly had to downsize to a baby Audi. Still a nice car.

My last two cars have been Subaru Outbacks. My 2012 one got me well over 250,000 miles and the mechanic I took it to said he could help me get another 100,000 or so miles out of it. Not really wanting to deal with that, I have a 2021 now that has 77,000 miles on it. Knock on wood, it's still driving well with no issues.

It's a good, dependable car, made in Indiana no less.

Take it to Jim at Allroad. He knows his stuff. Unless you've got major problems, it would be smarter to get it fixed and then either keep it or buy something newer and sell the old one privately. Do not trade it in to a dealer. If you sell it privately you will be getting retail for it. If you trade it in they will only be giving you wholesale for it, no matter what they show you on paper.

Reactions: zeke4ahs
My last two cars have been Subaru Outbacks. My 2012 one got me well over 250,000 miles and the mechanic I took it to said he could help me get another 100,000 or so miles out of it. Not really wanting to deal with that, I have a 2021 now that has 77,000 miles on it. Knock on wood, it's still driving well with no issues.

It's a good, dependable car, made in Indiana no less.
They are very good cars. Almost bought one when my wife decided she’d rather have a Toyota RAV4. My wife loved it and put over 200,000 on it before I got her a Chevy Bolt which she loves even more.

Reactions: Ohio Guy
get you an Italian car and you can say you officially made amends with all the people who tried to kill your grandfather's generation.

Also, just for fun, since we're talking about cars. (yes, scott speed is a toobag but mfer can drive man).

Miata is too little, but they are cute! Had a Solstice back in the day I loved. Ordered it before it was even out, but not now. Looking at BMW too. NM, just saw they make bigger ones now.
We bought a red Mini Cooper convertible two years ago. It now has a BMW engine, a semblance of a back seat that will fit a dog or tiny kids, but the two front seats are so much more roomy than those in a Miata. My 6'4" son fits in it. I'm 6'0" and could not fit into a Miata unless the top was down, which is a shame since Mazdas are nice cars and fun to drive.

Like Audis and BMWs, Mini Coopers are a little more expensive to maintain even for routine stuff like oil changes. Fun little car, though.

chili-red.png

Last edited:
Lots. We are on our our 7th. Love the feel and drive. Never a problem with any of them. But our 1990 one had an electrical problem with the seat.

We bought an A5 Cabrio for our 22,000 mile road trip of US and Canada. Compared it to the E class Cabrio and the Audi easily won us over. Again, ride and feel. The Benz felt mushy. The A5 performed great. The only problem was I hit a road defect and put a tiny crack in a wheel. The price you pay for low profile tires. Replaced all 4 wheels and tires with an inch smaller diameter wheel which were identical to original design. Car rode better with deeper tires.

Current model A6 with 6cyl is absolutely best car I ever owned. Sadly had to downsize to a baby Audi. Still a nice car.
They handle ok in snow?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT