ADVERTISEMENT

any experience on here with bone marrow donation / transplants?

outside shooter

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 23, 2001
My older brother has just been diagnosed with bone cancer and the doctor is recommending a bone marrow transplant. He is hesitant, but of course we are encouraging him to listen to the doctors (Mayo Clinic) and fight it.

My sister or me, by my understanding, are the most likely to be a compatible donor, over his two children. Of course I volunteered. Of the two of us siblings, I am younger (under 60, which they prefer for donors) and I am generally healthier. I have the same blood type and need to get tested for antigen compatibility.

Anyone go through this and have any advice? He has a 60% recovery prognosis, his hematologist told him, though my web MD skills suggest that 60% may be overly rosy and there is more like a 22% 3 year remission success rate, maybe less since he is over 65 (I didn't tell him this of course).

My older brother has just been diagnosed with bone cancer and the doctor is recommending a bone marrow transplant. He is hesitant, but of course we are encouraging him to listen to the doctors (Mayo Clinic) and fight it.

My sister or me, by my understanding, are the most likely to be a compatible donor, over his two children. Of course I volunteered. Of the two of us siblings, I am younger (under 60, which they prefer for donors) and I am generally healthier. I have the same blood type and need to get tested for antigen compatibility.

Anyone go through this and have any advice? He has a 60% recovery prognosis, his hematologist told him, though my web MD skills suggest that 60% may be overly rosy and there is more like a 22% 3 year remission success rate, maybe less since he is over 65 (I didn't tell him this of course).
I have no experience with what you are facing in terms of bone marrow transplanting, but I'm sorry your family is starting this ordeal.

60% if he gets the marrow transplant or 60% without actions/interventions?

F* ck cancer. No experience but sending prayers fwiw

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge

Prayers for your whole family and the decisions that will have to be made.

Reactions: outside shooter

Prayers! Cancer sucks.

60% if he gets the marrow transplant or 60% without actions/interventions?
60% recovery after bone marrow transplant (BMT). Not sure what it is with no transplant, but lower for sure

Post BMT,
20% die of complications of rejection aka graft v host disease
10% die of complications of opportunistic infections due to required immune suppression
10% are too weakened by the procedure and the side effects of medication.

60/40 odds are not warm and fuzzy feeling

Last edited:
60% recovery after bone marrow transplant (BMT). Not sure what it is with no transplant, but lower for sure

Post BMT,
20% die of complications of rejection aka graft v host disease
10% die of complications of opportunistic infections due to required immune suppression
10% are too weakened by the procedure and the side effects of medication.

60/40 odds are not warm and fuzzy feeling
No they are not. **** cancer.

Seeing his records, I guess it is more accurate to say that he's been diagnosed with a genetic marker / abnormality that indicates almost a lead-pipe cinch to develop AML (acute myeloid leukemia) within a year (months, more likely), and the bone marrow transplant is the only viable option to head it off. So it is at least somewhat early and is pre-cancer rather than a full blown late stage variety, FWIW.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
So sorry to hear this. Prayers for your brother and your family.

My dad had an autologous "bone marrow" transplant (his own stem cells) to treat multiple myeloma when he was about 70. In his case, I believe they used stems cells extracted from his blood rather than from his bone marrow. From what I recall, he had a series of injections beforehand to increase his production of stem cells. I do not recall any significant side effects from that step. The transplant itself, however, was difficult on him as they basically destroy the patient's own bone marrow along with the cancer cells. That part was very rough, and I think he was at the Univ. of Michigan for two weeks. I cannot recall if he started the chemotherapy process before going to UM or if they did everything while he was there.

He came through the process very well. Eventually, the multiple myeloma took his life (that, and the leukemia, which was one of the side effects of later treatments). But multiple myeloma almost always wins in the end. Still, I do firmly believe that his stem cell transplant added several years to his life, and the majority of those years were great.

Seeing his records, I guess it is more accurate to say that he's been diagnosed with a genetic marker / abnormality that indicates almost a lead-pipe cinch to develop AML (acute myeloid leukemia) within a year (months, more likely), and the bone marrow transplant is the only viable option to head it off.
That sucks. Sorry for you and your family.
A friend’s father went thru something similar. One of his siblings was a match.

Seeing his records, I guess it is more accurate to say that he's been diagnosed with a genetic marker / abnormality that indicates almost a lead-pipe cinch to develop AML (acute myeloid leukemia) within a year (months, more likely), and the bone marrow transplant is the only viable option to head it off. So it is at least somewhat early and is pre-cancer rather than a full blown late stage variety, FWIW.
What led to the genetic test discovery? Is it a routine screen?

Sorry your brother is dealing with this and I hope the marrow transplant helps him get cured of the cancer. I will keep him and your family in my prayers.

First off f*ck cancer. I, like so many here I’m sure, have dealt with cancer in my family for seemingly ever. I’ll dispense with the “stay strong” pablum and tell you only to continue what you’re doing now. Stay informed. Stay realistic. Stay involved. I know it means a lot to your brother.

First off f*ck cancer. I, like so many here I’m sure, have dealt with cancer in my family for seemingly ever. I’ll dispense with the “stay strong” pablum and tell you only to continue what you’re doing now. Stay informed. Stay realistic. Stay involved. I know it means a lot to your brother.
Good points. Have someone go to all his appointments with him. That person needs to take notes. He will be going through so much emotionally and mentally that he will not be able to process all the information. He will need a scribe who can then relay that information to the group. It’s really hard man.

Sorry to hear this, friend. Best of luck to your whole family.

Edit-also, f**k cancer.

Last edited:

I hate reading these kinds of posts. There's nothing I can say or do to make things better, I don't do "thoughts and prayers", and I have no concrete information to pass on. My reflex is to reply with something off-kilter, like...

Is the dumbass finally going to get vaccinated???

Too soon?

What led to the genetic test discovery? Is it a routine screen?
He has been needing weekly transfusions for some months now, with low platelet counts and "aplastic anemia", and not responding to medications. A bone marrow biopsy was done, and I guess genetic analysis is routine with that, along with microscopic analysis. Apparently this mutation often arises after dealing with aplastic anemia for this long.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT