ADVERTISEMENT

And people argue that gen z and millenials are just as tough as athletes and work just as hard as X/Boomers. Puhhhhhlease

mcmurtry66

Hall of Famer
Mar 14, 2019
seated around this table are six legends from the very first ufc event. there were no weight classes. gracie won after defeating THREE FIGHTERS ON THE SAME NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh. and by the way. one of the three fighters just happened to be the world's most dangerous man....
7f3a5d90cac73f1fc78bb52fc6a470d8

I remember watching Don Frye "the predator" that guy backed down from noone. Ken Shamrock was another favorite.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
I remember watching Don Frye "the predator" that guy backed down from noone. Ken Shamrock was another favorite.
that's right. if you had his mustache you wouldn't either. if ken shamrock was denied respect, he would TAKE IT. simple as that. he instilled that in his brother frank shamrock. adopted brother. even tho they kind of have the same head

Reactions: Cthulhu85
Dick the Bruiser would have those guys for lunch.
he was very scary. i met him when i was a little kid. along with king kong brody ted dibiase cowboy bob orton dick murdach harley race. dick the bruiser was the missouri champion. they wrestled at my favorite hotel and my trucker uncle would take me. we'd go to the drag races together too. big daddy don garletz or something. that was a hard living uncle. died playing racquetball at 38 in the ozarks. and there ya have it

that's right. if you had his mustache you wouldn't either. if ken shamrock was denied respect, he would TAKE IT. simple as that. he instilled that in his brother frank shamrock. adopted brother. even tho they kind of have the same head
It's been several years since I've watched any UFC. Once it went mainstream and couch potatoes started wearing Tapout shirts I started losing interest.

When I was in college from about 03-06 my cousin was taking grappling classes from a guy who trained with the Gracie team. On his non class days I was his training partner.

We'd move the dining room table and train there. Only 3 rules, no punching, no kicks above waist and no knees. We are both 6'3 and we're about 250 at the time. 500 lbs of dude training in the dining room. At first I felt like I went through a washing machine cycle.

Lyle Alzado is another American badass. Played in the NFL and challenged Muhammad Ali to a fight. They duked it out in Denver stadium.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Lyle Alzado is another American badass. Played in the NFL and challenged Muhammad Ali to a fight. They duked it out in Denver stadium.
i haven't really watched the ufc in years either. alzado that's right! he was a big steroid hot head

Reactions: Cthulhu85
he was very scary. i met him when i was a little kid. along with king kong brody ted dibiase cowboy bob orton dick murdach harley race. dick the bruiser was the missouri champion. they wrestled at my favorite hotel and my trucker uncle would take me. we'd go to the drag races together too. big daddy don garletz or something. that was a hard living uncle. died playing racquetball at 38 in the ozarks. and there ya have it
Saw Dick the Bruiser v. Bobo Brazil at the Elkhart Armory in about 1988. Glorious. Old women in the audience screaming at the top of their lungs at that evil Bobo (that fvcker used a chair on poor Dick! and he was black, which didn't help with most of this crowd). My friend and I were crying from laughing so hard, and getting a lot of dirty looks from the people taking it all seriously.

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
seated around this table are six legends from the very first ufc event. there were no weight classes. gracie won after defeating THREE FIGHTERS ON THE SAME NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh. and by the way. one of the three fighters just happened to be the world's most dangerous man....
7f3a5d90cac73f1fc78bb52fc6a470d8
Maybe tougher. And that's a maybe. Still doesn't change the fact that only one person at that table would stand chance against any of the top fighters from the past 10 years. Francis Ngannou or Jon Jones would murder everyone at that table.

Maybe tougher. And that's a maybe. Still doesn't change the fact that only one person at that table would stand chance against any of the top fighters from the past 10 years. Francis Ngannou or Jon Jones would murder everyone at that table.
they're 60!!

• Haha
Reactions: mrhighlife
more seriously the sport was in its infancy and they didn't have much in the way of skills. contrast it to boxing and i suspect a lot of the 70s 80s and 90s boxers would beat tyson fury, including fellow brit lewis

Reactions: mrhighlife
they're 60!!
Haha. In there primes. Also I don't disagree about the toughness factor. Don Frye especially. Still read up on Francis Ngannou. Their may not be a tougher human being to ever exist. His story is incredible. Orphaned and working in an African sand mine at age 10. Started fighting to stay out of the street gangs that would accost him. In the ring he is nightmare fuel. Outside of it he is evidently a very nice man. Does a ton of charity work.

One of the best MMA fighters ever. Oh and he just went the distance in his first boxing match... Against Tyson Fury who is one of the best boxers ever.

more seriously the sport was in its infancy and they didn't have much in the way of skills. contrast it to boxing and i suspect a lot of the 70s 80s and 90s boxers would beat tyson fury, including fellow brit lewis
Yep this. Some of those guys would be great fighters today if given today's training. They all had high work ethic and the will to win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT