ADVERTISEMENT

An observation

We had a boatload of penalties. Some of them come from undisciplined play, but some come from high emotion. McFadden had one penalty on the QB where he arrived in a hurry and accidentally grabbed the face mask. In that situation, I don't fault him because it's like a train wreck at that point. You're moving too fast to control where you hit another MOVING human.

I only had an issue with one call and that was the first RTP which was a joke. They missed a couple of holds on PU that assisted the long runs and one pass but in general, officiating was not a factor.

I only had an issue with one call and that was the first RTP which was a joke. They missed a couple of holds on PU that assisted the long runs and one pass but in general, officiating was not a factor.

There was an obvious pass interference call that wasn’t made and many holds going on that weren’t called. I will be glad to play a bowl game without big ten refs. They are the worst in the nation by far.
Be careful what you wish for, Fieldjock: I remember as far back as the '70s, when we said Big Ten refs were the nation's worst. And that usually played out in poor bowl game performances: Big Ten teams would come in and play Big Ten football, based on the calls they were used to Big Ten officials making. Except, these were not Big Ten officials and they made entirely different calls to which Big Ten teams sometimes had a hard time adjusting.

There was more than 1 penalty. They declined 2 I think
There were also more on us that were declined , on the RTP and face mask calls we also had defensive holding calls on both of those plays. We had a defensive holding call with on the completion to Bell down to the 3, which they declined, this was definitely a one sided affair. This is the third game in a row that our opponent had ZERO holding calls, that is hard to do in a game where they say it could be called on every play.

I realize that a lot of our penalties come from lack of discipline, but here is what I don't like.
1. This is the Second Time in three Weeks that we have played a team that was called for only one penalty (PSU was the other). That can't be a coincidence. Two teams in three weeks can't play that well. Show me another Big 10 Team that has played two games in Conference this season with their opponents called for only one penalty.
2. I know our Defensive Line isn't great, but as many as passes as these teams throw, I can't believe we rarely see an Offensive Holding Call. You could call Holding on every play. However, I am seeing too many situations where our D Line seems to have Pressure, and suddenly a Defender is mysteriously directed past the QB.
3. I know our Defensive Backs have poor technique and get penalties for being in bad position and not having a spatial relationship with the Receiver and Ball. But we are called for way too many ticky-tac penalties that have no impact on play.
I watched part of the Wisconsin-Minnesota Game yesterday, and the Officials were letting the Dbs play and allowing ongoing contact and hand fighting all the way down the field. If our DBs played the same way, we would be called for Holding or PI on every Play.

The officiating in this one was garbage as it usually is. Purdue not being called for holding is a disgrace. I mean they probably passed the ball 40-50 times?

I've said it for years now, but the Big Ten has a very real problem with these officiating crews. Why did it take so long to signal touchdown on Sampson James' rushing touchdown? Because they stink, that's why!

The worst no call of the game was right in front of the official in the end zone. Pass interference no call. Our receiver got hit hard well before the ball arrived. The replay was hilarious how obvious it was. Those non calls are game changers. That ref shouldn’t be allowed to work another game

There were also more on us that were declined , on the RTP and face mask calls we also had defensive holding calls on both of those plays. We had a defensive holding call with on the completion to Bell down to the 3, which they declined, this was definitely a one sided affair. This is the third game in a row that our opponent had ZERO holding calls, that is hard to do in a game where they say it could be called on every play.
They didn't call several instances of blatant holding on PU. It was almost as bad as the PSU game. IU could have won the PSU game with better and fair officiating and this one wouldn't have been very close with competent officiating. At least IU managed to overcome it and win one of them.

Reactions: bang63
And they avg 4.5 penalties per game and were assessed one yesterday.
IU declined a couple.

Did you feel like the game was poorly officiated? I watched every second, and thought the officiating was innocuous. IU's shown a propensity this year to play undisciplined at times, which results in a higher penalty rate than the teams they're playing. That happened again yesterday.

Reactions: grammy2
I will always bitch about poor officiating. You guys passed the ball 49 times and were not called for one single holding penalty!!!
So maybe their offensive line and backs have been coached with good technique?

You guys aren't making a lotta sense, which is typical, but pretty obnoxious a day after a pretty big and nice win for IU.

Reactions: LeConte
So maybe their offensive line and backs have been coached with good technique?

You guys aren't making a lotta sense, which is typical, but pretty obnoxious a day after a pretty big and nice win for IU.
You don’t find it odd that in the last 3 games our opponents have been called for a grand total of ZERO holding penalties ? In today’s game that is impossible, if you want to meet and go through the game film I’ll be glad to point out numerous holding violations that were “overlooked”. Hell, the play to Westbrook in the EZ , the DB grabbed his jersey and pulled it out, 5 feet from an official.

You don’t find it odd that in the last 3 games our opponents have been called for a grand total of ZERO holding penalties ? In today’s game that is impossible, if you want to meet and go through the game film I’ll be glad to point out numerous holding violations that were “overlooked”. Hell, the play to Westbrook in the EZ , the DB grabbed his jersey and pulled it out, 5 feet from an official.
So it’s your considered response that B1G officials are colluding against IU’s defense by not calling holding? Really?

The game film would show penalties not called on both teams. The thing is, the officials don’t get the benefit of calling the game on film, they’re calling it in real time. If you think it’s an easy gig, you should become an official - it pays pretty well (I’m friends that has officiated Power 5 and NFL football).

The data you provided (3 games with no holding called against IU’s opponents) supports a significantly different conclusion than what you’re putting forth here.

So it’s your considered response that B1G officials are colluding against IU’s defense by not calling holding? Really?

The game film would show penalties not called on both teams. The thing is, the officials don’t get the benefit of calling the game on film, they’re calling it in real time. If you think it’s an easy gig, you should become an official - it pays pretty well (I’m friends that has officiated Power 5 and NFL football).

The data you provided (3 games with no holding called against IU’s opponents) supports a significantly different conclusion than what you’re putting forth here.
I have a friend that officiated power 5 also (however not NFL), big deal, never said it was easy, and never mentioned “collusion”. I’m not sure what “conclusion “ you seem to think I’m putting forth, as far as I know none. What I am saying is, 3 full games without a holding call against your opponent is highly unusual. I’m leaving it to everyone to come to their own conclusions, especially when yesterday there were several obvious holding calls that shouldn’t have required “the benefit of calling the game on film.”

I have a friend that officiated power 5 also (however not NFL), big deal, never said it was easy, and never mentioned “collusion”. I’m not sure what “conclusion “ you seem to think I’m putting forth, as far as I know none. What I am saying is, 3 full games without a holding call against your opponent is highly unusual. I’m leaving it to everyone to come to their own conclusions, especially when yesterday there were several obvious holding calls that shouldn’t have required “the benefit of calling the game on film.”

Some crews are hell-bent on watching every single thing in the interior of the line and call every ticky-tack hand movement they see.

We had the misfortune of getting the crew that put their blinders on to that portion of the action but focused on the defensive backfield.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Some crews are hell-bent on watching every single thing in the interior of the line and call every ticky-tack hand movement they see.

We had the misfortune of getting the crew that put their blinders on to that portion of the action but focused on the defensive backfield.
Maybe , but they sure missed Westbrook’s jersey being pulled out of his pants !

How "highly unusual" is it (3 consecutive games without offensive holding called against a group of 3 opponents), given a team that struggles defensively in general against better teams, and 2 of those 3 games were played against teams with significantly more talent?

How "highly unusual" is it (3 consecutive games without offensive holding called against a group of 3 opponents), given a team that struggles defensively in general against better teams, and 2 of those 3 games were played against teams with significantly more talent?
Look, you aren’t changing my mind, nor am I going to change yours, so this exercise is futile. Officials aren’t perfect, and I don’t expect them to be, however, I do think 3 straight games without a holding call (2 of the 3 games our opponent had 1 penalty of any kind in the entire game) is unusual, yes.

The officiating had nothing to do with the out come of this game. There are always questionable calls and some really bad calls (no targeting on the Whop hit in the PSU game was awful) But we make too many penalties that are related to discipline and discipline is related to coaching. The last place in penalties pointed out earlier should tell everyone we have met the enemy and it is us. Mallory teams did not commit the poor judgement penalties we have watched the last two years and this has to be corrected if we are to make another upward move. It was a good season and win against Purdue made it even better so let us enjoy a season we don't see very often

Look, you aren’t changing my mind, nor am I going to change yours, so this exercise is futile. Officials aren’t perfect, and I don’t expect them to be, however, I do think 3 straight games without a holding call (2 of the 3 games our opponent had 1 penalty of any kind in the entire game) is unusual, yes.
I’m not trying to change your mind. Actually, you’re doing a pretty good job of proving the point I’m making - keep up the good work!

It’s kind of the same phenomenon that happened with IU basketball for years:

We got a ton of calls go our way because we were good, not because we weren’t doing those things.
We were doing all the same things our lessor opponents were doing, they just get overlooked.

Officiating naturally favors teams that are good but it’s never because those teams don’t do those things.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT