ADVERTISEMENT

Alone Season 9

hookyIU1990

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 26, 2007
I love this show.

First episode of the season was full of marginal contestants, but tonight's show has 3 possible winners.

The dude that cried about shooting the squirrel though...he can go back to his girlfriend and his new puppy that he calls family. Saw that coming in the first 10 min.

Reactions: 76-1 and All4You
My favorite show. I have watched every season. The wifey likes it too. We usually watch the following night so I have only watched the first episode thus far. And yeah it's pretty easy to pick out who washes out early.

The two ladies seem like they have a legitimate shot this season.

The one thing I never understand is the contestants that don't work on a fortified shelter early while they still have the energy to do it.

And the guy who took the Himalayan salt block as one of his 10 items is my hero.

• Haha
Reactions: hookyIU1990
My favorite show. I have watched every season. The wifey likes it too. We usually watch the following night so I have only watched the first episode thus far. And yeah it's pretty easy to pick out who washes out early.

The two ladies seem like they have a legitimate shot this season.

The one thing I never understand is the contestants that don't work on a fortified shelter early while they still have the energy to do it.

And the guy who took the Himalayan salt block as one of his 10 items is my hero.
Yeah, the Himalayan salt last week was a first.

Hope I didn't spoil anything for you, but as soon as you see the guy, you'll know.

Reactions: All4You

Hope I didn't spoil anything for you, but as soon as you see the guy, you'll know.
I stumbled onto it last night before the finals. You are allowed to bring bow and arrow? The dude is a deadeye shot. Seems like the hunters would win.

I love this show.

First episode of the season was full of marginal contestants, but tonight's show has 3 possible winners.

The dude that cried about shooting the squirrel though...he can go back to his girlfriend and his new puppy that he calls family. Saw that coming in the first 10 min.
Have watched every episode of every season.

I took a wilderness training survival class in high school near Pagosa Springs , was hooked on the outdoor life & never looked back.

As someone else mentioned in the thread, I just shake my head when they don't immediately put full effort into the most kick-ass shelter they can construct as fast as possible. A number of contestants have paid dearly for that mistake.

Mrs. Shades, who loves the outdoors - but will never camp out overnight- continually asks questions (its like a press conference -lol) during the show & has learned a lot from me the last few years.

I find the 10 item rule fascinating & love to see the unique choices some contestants make.

Have watched every episode of every season.

I took a wilderness training survival class in high school near Pagosa Springs , was hooked on the outdoor life & never looked back.

As someone else mentioned in the thread, I just shake my head when they don't immediately put full effort into the most kick-ass shelter they can construct as fast as possible. A number of contestants have paid dearly for that mistake.

Mrs. Shades, who loves the outdoors - but will never camp out overnight- continually asks questions (its like a press conference -lol) during the show & has learned a lot from me the last few years.

I find the 10 item rule fascinating & love to see the unique choices some contestants make.
I think she's continually asking questions because she's not really listening! "...uh huh, uh huh, yes dear, that's interesting!"

• Haha
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
I want to see a challenge between Les Stroud and Bear Grylls. I’d bet on Stroud.
I'll take the other side of that trade.

Nothing against Les, but Bear is probably 13-14 yrs younger.

There are a few of us that would pony up to see that challenge - LOL

We didn't get a chance to watch until last night, got a bit busy around these parts, but yeah we figured it out pretty quickly heh.

"Oh my childhood, oh my upbringing, my whole life of 23 years has been a struggle, my girl, my dog, I can't keep killing these squirrels"...pussy.

We didn't get a chance to watch until last night, got a bit busy around these parts, but yeah we figured it out pretty quickly heh.

"Oh my childhood, oh my upbringing, my whole life of 23 years has been a struggle, my girl, my dog, I can't keep killing these squirrels"...pussy.
When he unleashed the "I miss my puppy" trope, I literally looked for something to throw at the TV.

I have to believe that they actively look for a couple of pansies during the contestant screening process in order to create drama and conversations like this.

• Haha
Reactions: kkott and All4You
Yup. One of my favorite shows. I've only seen the first episode of season 9 so far (I never got to watch live, just stream through the history channel app).

I'm usually pretty good at figuring out who the top three or four are going to be pretty early. With that said, there seems to be one contestant per season that I always think is a shoe-in to go the distance (as in, seems to know what they are doing, has built a great shelter, seems to be having decent luck at hunting / fishing, etc.), but then ends up not being able to handle the loneliness.

It's funny that many contestants come in with this belief that they can do better than previous contestants because of various reasons. Most of them believe that they will be better hunters / fishers, but they don't really grasp the fact that the areas that they are confined to are a lot less target dense than the areas that they are used to, especially once you get into the late November / early December time period.

It just gets really easy to push that escape button when you are cold, hungry, and have nothing to do all day but listen to your stomach growl.

Yup. One of my favorite shows. I've only seen the first episode of season 9 so far (I never got to watch live, just stream through the history channel app).

I'm usually pretty good at figuring out who the top three or four are going to be pretty early. With that said, there seems to be one contestant per season that I always think is a shoe-in to go the distance (as in, seems to know what they are doing, has built a great shelter, seems to be having decent luck at hunting / fishing, etc.), but then ends up not being able to handle the loneliness.

It's funny that many contestants come in with this belief that they can do better than previous contestants because of various reasons. Most of them believe that they will be better hunters / fishers, but they don't really grasp the fact that the areas that they are confined to are a lot less target dense than the areas that they are used to, especially once you get into the late November / early December time period.

It just gets really easy to push that escape button when you are cold, hungry, and have nothing to do all day but listen to your stomach growl.
Hunger would get me quick. If be done after a few days if I wasn’t killing pigs and cows.

LOVE that show!

Always try to put myself in their situation...

For sure items
-Blade that's serrated on the back side so I could saw with it.
-Fishing line and hooks
-Flint/fire starter
-Large foil blanket
-some sort of container that could hold/boil water

First thing...find safe place, close to water if there's fish available, to build a shelter.

I think in most environments, I'd be able to build a decent shelter.

I'd be fine with the solitude.

If its a wet environment, I'd struggle to build a fire, even with a good fire starter.
I don't know anything about plant life, so I wouldn't be able to use that for food safely.
I don't know anything about trapping/snaring, so I wouldn't get protein from land animals, unless one walked up and tapped me on the shoulder...and I happened to have my knife on me.

My best guess is I'd last 3-4 days. I'd be able to build a structure comfortable enough that I could lay around and sleep. But I'm guessing I wouldn't be able to consistently catch enough fish to get enough protein. Hunger would get me pretty quickly.

I enjoy watching it...don't think I'd enjoy trying it out.

Les was the goat. No cameramen. But I think he lost credibility with his bigfoot season. And i want someone to find bigfoot almost more than anything in the world
w7WtHA5.gif

Asian guy -120
He seems to be the one to watch. Tall Terry was who I thought might have been the one prior to this episode. Should have been boiling water and hunting instead of making a music video.

I think the gal who has spent the last month building the Taj mahal instead of eating is next.

... and the grouse. (couple of snowshoe hares as well)

It's interesting to see the "arrow management" as they're only allowed a max of 9 arrows. Some preserve them, chase them down after use etc. - others have a devil may care, "I'm shooting till I get it" mentality.

Fascinating.

No musk ox this season, but they're nailing the beaver.
... never gets old!

Both my kids did Indian Guides, and one of their "stock" songs at any gathering was "the Beaver song". Naturally the Dads gave it a little extra gusto! Funny thing was for a year or 2 one of the counselors was an attractive and fun college age girl and she fully embraced the double entendre. She loved leading all the Dads in the Beaver Song, and then to top it off, her "Camp Name" was honestly "Pink Rage"... the name she chose! Locally in our tribe she was "Bald Beaver" and I'd guess she'd have loved that too... and that it was applicable.

Last edited:
I have yet to see the latest episode, but it does seem like all the contestants have had a better-than-average luck with hunting (at least, relative to previous contestants) this season. Most seasons, most contestants are lucky to pull in a single fish per day on their fishing trips. Some of these guys / gals are pulling in 8 to 12. You might see one or two squirrels bagged per season, maybe a couple of rabbits, and at most about one grouse . This year: About 8 squirrels, a couple of rabbits, a bunch of grouse, and a couple of beavers.

I have yet to see the latest episode, but it does seem like all the contestants have had a better-than-average luck with hunting (at least, relative to previous contestants) this season. Most seasons, most contestants are lucky to pull in a single fish per day on their fishing trips. Some of these guys / gals are pulling in 8 to 12. You might see one or two squirrels bagged per season, maybe a couple of rabbits, and at most about one grouse . This year: About 8 squirrels, a couple of rabbits, a bunch of grouse, and a couple of beavers.
Just the one guy (Tom?) said so far he's had 15 squirrels, 19 trout, five grouse, one rabbit, and one Whiskey Jack.

Teimijen (sic) has been a grouse killing machine.

Reactions: 76-1
Just the one guy (Tom?) said so far he's had 15 squirrels, 19 trout, five grouse, one rabbit, and one Whiskey Jack.

Teimijen (sic) has been a grouse killing machine.
No question this is the best hunting/fishing - possibly ever - on Alone.

There certainly have been "bigger kills" but in terms of quantity this season is it.

might be rewarding, but I've never believed there was much nutritional value in beaver eating!

might be rewarding, but I've never believed there was much nutritional value in beaver eating!
(I'll see your double entendre and raise you....)

You just haven't been getting the right kind of beaver. The fatter they are, the better they taste and more nutritional value there is.

(I'll see your double entendre and raise you....)

You just haven't been getting the right kind of beaver. The fatter they are, the better they taste and more nutritional value there is.
Well, that could be my problem. I've always preferred the slimmer and less gamey beavers. Maybe if I'm ever hunting beaver again, I'll take a shot at one of the bigger ones!

It’s doable but you need a compound bow for that.
Nope. Any of the men’s bows will put down a bear and most likely the ladies’ too if they are shooting enough poundage.

My Dad has two on the wall he shot with his longbow, one over 400 lbs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1 and kkott
Clay Hayes, winner of Season 8, has book out called “Surviving Alone” that is a good read for anyone that follows the show. One thing I didn’t know is that Clay was actually an alternate (as my nephew once was), who only made the cast b/c one of the 10 cast members from overseas couldn’t fly to the location due to airline COVID restrictions in place at the time.

I haven’t watched this weeks episode yet but my money is on the Asian doc to win it all as long as he doesn’t get pulled for weight.

Way too much puking and black teeth last night. 3/10 rating.

Teimojin, the doctor is my favorite to win. Adam is my dark horse to win, even though he's homesick. If muskrat woman wins, I'm the one that's going to throw up.

• Haha
Reactions: Cavanagh and 76-1
I'll take the other side of that trade.

Nothing against Les, but Bear is probably 13-14 yrs younger.

There are a few of us that would pony up to see that challenge - LOL
Bear would crush it if he played it smart but my guess is he'd eat some dead sh.t by week two just to show off for the camera , end up not cooking it enough..., and have dysentery take him down... 😉🤣

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT