ADVERTISEMENT

All-Time IU role-player team

mushroomgod_1

All-American
Apr 9, 2012
Recent mention of Matt Nover got me thinking about the best "role-players" IU bball has seen over the years......When RMK was coach I used to love those kinds of players. I think they will make a comeback under Archie......Durham immediately comes to mind.

Anyway, my definition of "role-player" is a guy who was an unquestioned multi-year starter or 6th man; not considered a 1st/2nd leading scoring option; not generally considered by the public as one of the teams stars; with a clearly defined role; who made few errors; and significantly contributed by his defensive play, rebounding, or assists.There are a lot of guys on the role player/star fence...guys like Bobby Wilkerson, Ray Tolbert, Dean Garrett, Darryl Thomas, Laz, Steve Green......I'd consider Bobby & Ray to have been role players on their teams, the other guys as 'stars'......Those teams were so good that AAs and BT MVPs could still be considered role players......

So here's my list:

1st Team:
G Mike Lewis
G Bobby Wilkerson
C Ray Tolbert
F Tom Abernathy
F Matt Nover

2nd Team:
G Jim Thomas
G Dane Fife
G/F AJ Moye
F Steve Eyl
F Jarrad Odle

3rd Team:
G Joe Hillman
G Chris Reynolds
G/F Rod Wilmont
F Steve Risley
F Derek Elston

HM:
Wayne Radford
Jordan Hulls
Will Sheehey
Butch Carter
Stew Robinson

Thoughts?

Recent mention of Matt Nover got me thinking about the best "role-players" IU bball has seen over the years......When RMK was coach I used to love those kinds of players. I think they will make a comeback under Archie......Durham immediately comes to mind.

Anyway, my definition of "role-player" is a guy who was an unquestioned multi-year starter or 6th man; not considered a 1st/2nd leading scoring option; not generally considered by the public as one of the teams stars; with a clearly defined role; who made few errors; and significantly contributed by his defensive play, rebounding, or assists.There are a lot of guys on the role player/star fence...guys like Bobby Wilkerson, Ray Tolbert, Dean Garrett, Darryl Thomas, Laz, Steve Green......I'd consider Bobby & Ray to have been role players on their teams, the other guys as 'stars'......Those teams were so good that AAs and BT MVPs could still be considered role players......

So here's my list:

1st Team:
G Mike Lewis
G Bobby Wilkerson
C Ray Tolbert
F Tom Abernathy
F Matt Nover

2nd Team:
G Jim Thomas
G Dane Fife
G/F AJ Moye
F Steve Eyl
F Jarrad Odle

3rd Team:
G Joe Hillman
G Chris Reynolds
G/F Rod Wilmont
F Steve Risley
F Derek Elston

HM:
Wayne Radford
Jordan Hulls
Will Sheehey
Butch Carter
Stew Robinson

Thoughts?
Where would you put Brian Sloan?

Reactions: GregHaggard

So here's my list:

1st Team:
G Mike Lewis
G Bobby Wilkerson
C Ray Tolbert
F Tom Abernathy
F Matt Nover

2nd Team:
G Jim Thomas
G Dane Fife
G/F AJ Moye
F Steve Eyl
F Jarrad Odle

3rd Team:
G Joe Hillman
G Chris Reynolds
G/F Rod Wilmont
F Steve Risley
F Derek Elston

HM:
Wayne Radford
Jordan Hulls
Will Sheehey
Butch Carter
Stew Robinson

Thoughts?

Interesting topic and great list. It is a subjective topic, but to me Tolbert, Abernathy and Wilkerson were just too talented to be considered role players, although I understand your argument. Still, those teams were special, especially 76. Maybe Crews? Wilmont also to me wasn't a role player by his senior year, but I guess it could vary based on their roles each year. Good fun post to think about!

He was the B1G Player of the Year his Senior year.
No he wasn't and he only played 15 minutes a game his senior year and 8 or less previously.

Please stick to actual facts instead of stuff you make up.

TIA

Interesting topic and great list. It is a subjective topic, but to me Tolbert, Abernathy and Wilkerson were just too talented to be considered role players, although I understand your argument. Still, those teams were special, especially 76. Maybe Crews? Wilmont also to me wasn't a role player by his senior year, but I guess it could vary based on their roles each year. Good fun post to think about!
Neither was Wayne Redford. He went on some great offensive tears as a senior where he was impossible to stop inside, even at 6:2/6:3. Also, I wouldn’t call Butch Carter a role player. I think he averaged close to 20 a game as a senior and was in the NBA for quite a while, like Bob Wilkerson. These guys were not role players, just players.

Neither was Wayne Redford. He went on some great offensive tears as a senior where he was impossible to stop inside, even at 6:2/6:3. Also, I wouldn’t call Butch Carter a role player. I think he averaged close to 20 a game as a senior and was in the NBA for quite a while, like Bob Wilkerson. These guys were not role players, just players.
Carter only averaged 11 his senior year.

I stand corrected on Butch. It was Woody who was the 20 pt scorer. But Butch wasn’t a role player.
Cool factoid: both Woodson and Benson both scored over 21/game during the 76-77 B1G season. Could we do that again?
Neither was Wayne Redford. He went on some great offensive tears as a senior where he was impossible to stop inside, even at 6:2/6:3. Also, I wouldn’t call Butch Carter a role player. I think he averaged close to 20 a game as a senior and was in the NBA for quite a while, like Bob Wilkerson. These guys were not role players, just players.[/QUOT

Reactions: T.M.P.
Must be non-NBA players as role players:
Michael Lewis
Tom Coverdale
Brian Sloan
Steve Eyl
Winston Morgan
Stew Robinson
Matt Nover
Max Biefelt

Last edited:
Cool factoid: both Woodson and Benson both scored over 21/game during the 76-77 B1G season.
Nobody else scored much that season, though. Undefeated to 16-13 in one year . . .

. . . Woodson was the best player on that team.

Reactions: herrli
Gotta figure you put Keith Smart in there somewhere - if for no other reason than the "shot"

List of role players:

Steve Bouchie
Andre Harris
Kreigh Smith
Todd Meier
Magnus Pelkowski
Brian Sloan
Lyndon Jones- ended up that way. Leadership role in 90, 91
Todd Leary
Ross Hales
Pat Knight
Todd Lindeman, for much of his career
Kyle Hornsby
Donald Perry
George Leach
Lewis Monroe
Mike White
Lance Stemler
Errek Suhr
Kyle Taber
Devin Dumas
Tijan Jobe
Matt Roth
Jeremiah Rivers
Will Sheehey
Max Bielfeldt

I put Jim Thomas over Michael Lewis.

Many folks are too young to remember how important Jim Thomas was to that incredible run. Thomas was the sixth man on the 1981 national championship team, and also made the 1981 Final Four All Tournament Team.

That's UNREAL for a sixth man. Jimmy Thomas could not be stopped in that NCAA tourney.

I loved Jim Thomas' game. He never talked to anyone. He just did whatever was asked of him, and did everything well. He had the ability to blend in with everyone's else's game.

I agree he was better than Mike Lewis, but I kinda included Michael because there he was a 'true' PG. Also, he seems like the ultimate role player because he went from being a big-time scorer in HS who, if I remember correctly, kind of played off the ball, to a pass-first PG who rarely scored.

I remember watching Lewis at Washington HS's regional when he was a senior. What I remember was that he shot a lot, and from long distance. He was really an exciting HS player who became a very dull (albeit unselfish) college player.

Wayne and Keith Smart were two guys I considered as borderline stars/role players. WR avg. 9.2 as a junior, but 15.6 as a sr, which I agree probably takes him out of RP status after his jr year. Smart averaged 11.2 & 13.2 in his 2 IU years. Again, I'd put him in the 'star' category, but it's close.

I put Jim Thomas over Michael Lewis.

Many folks are too young to remember how important Jim Thomas was to that incredible run. Thomas was the sixth man on the 1981 national championship team, and also made the 1981 Final Four All Tournament Team.

That's UNREAL for a sixth man. Jimmy Thomas could not be stopped in that NCAA tourney.

To me,the 2nd team is more truly guys I thought of as role players.

List of role players:

Steve Bouchie
Andre Harris
Kreigh Smith
Todd Meier
Magnus Pelkowski
Brian Sloan
Lyndon Jones- ended up that way. Leadership role in 90, 91
Todd Leary
Ross Hales
Pat Knight
Todd Lindeman, for much of his career
Kyle Hornsby
Donald Perry
George Leach
Lewis Monroe
Mike White
Lance Stemler
Errek Suhr
Kyle Taber
Devin Dumas
Tijan Jobe
Matt Roth
Jeremiah Rivers
Will Sheehey
Max Bielfeldt
Glad you have a Washington Hatchet at the top of the list. Go Hatchets!

So here's my list:

1st Team:
G Mike Lewis
G Bobby Wilkerson
C Ray Tolbert
F Tom Abernathy
F Matt Nover

2nd Team:
G Jim Thomas
G Dane Fife
G/F AJ Moye
F Steve Eyl
F Jarrad Odle

3rd Team:
G Joe Hillman
G Chris Reynolds
G/F Rod Wilmont
F Steve Risley
F Derek Elston

HM:
Wayne Radford
Jordan Hulls
Will Sheehey
Butch Carter
Stew Robinson

Thoughts?
Two words: Peter Jerkin

So here's my list:

1st Team:
G Mike Lewis
G Bobby Wilkerson
C Ray Tolbert
F Tom Abernathy
F Matt Nover

2nd Team:
G Jim Thomas
G Dane Fife
G/F AJ Moye
F Steve Eyl
F Jarrad Odle

3rd Team:
G Joe Hillman
G Chris Reynolds
G/F Rod Wilmont
F Steve Risley
F Derek Elston

HM:
Wayne Radford
Jordan Hulls
Will Sheehey
Butch Carter
Stew Robinson

Thoughts?
How could you leave Brian Sloan off this list? Best pick setter there was.He knew his role well.

Reactions: HoosiersChamps
Yes 100% especially Wilkerson and Tolbert, admittedly a favorite, were not role players !

How about Steve Ridley? He was a banger Knight used off the bench. Phil Isenbaeger was more of a finesse guy who cane off the bench too.

How is annunoby not here? He came off the bench more often than not.

So here's my list:

1st Team:
G Mike Lewis
G Bobby Wilkerson
C Ray Tolbert
F Tom Abernathy
F Matt Nover

2nd Team:
G Jim Thomas
G Dane Fife
G/F AJ Moye
F Steve Eyl
F Jarrad Odle

3rd Team:
G Joe Hillman
G Chris Reynolds
G/F Rod Wilmont
F Steve Risley
F Derek Elston

HM:
Wayne Radford
Jordan Hulls
Will Sheehey
Butch Carter
Stew Robinson

Thoughts?

So here's my list:

1st Team:
G Mike Lewis
G Bobby Wilkerson
C Ray Tolbert
F Tom Abernathy
F Matt Nover

2nd Team:
G Jim Thomas
G Dane Fife
G/F AJ Moye
F Steve Eyl
F Jarrad Odle

3rd Team:
G Joe Hillman
G Chris Reynolds
G/F Rod Wilmont
F Steve Risley
F Derek Elston

HM:
Wayne Radford
Jordan Hulls
Will Sheehey
Butch Carter
Stew Robinson

Thoughts?

Eye has to be 1st team. One of the most versatile players IU has ever had.

If Bobby played on any other team, he’s a star and not a role player. Even so, I’ll bet there’s never been a team before or since that squad that had an All-American center or post player who had their shooting guard jump for the opening tip-off. Wilkerson is one of my all-time favorites.

How about Steve Ridley? He was a banger Knight used off the bench. Phil Isenbaeger was more of a finesse guy who cane off the bench too.
Make that Steve Risley and Phil Isenbarger! Showing my age.

Make that Steve Risley and Phil Isenbarger! Showing my age.

Yeah, true. On my list I tried not to pick too many from one team. On many of Knight's teams there were maybe 5 or 6 true role players.
When Crean arrived, he believed role players were just guys who weren't self-motivated to be stars. Crean's guys would spend all summer shooting 3's because that was the golden ticket to playing time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT