ADVERTISEMENT

Alberto Mendoza

IU_Hickory

Hall of Famer
Aug 29, 2017
I noticed he isn't listed on the roster page on iuhoosiers.com but I don't recall news of him leaving. maybe they are only listing those here for spring ball.

Last edited:
Reactions: red hornet
I noticed he isn't listed on the roster page on iuhoosiers.com but I don't recall news of him leaving. maybe they are only listing those here for spring ball.

He's not a spring enrollee, so he won't be on the roster until fall.

There are several from last year's class not on the roster... Charlie Becker, Evan Lawrence, Quentin Clark, ect.

This QB room will be pretty sweet for a couple years. May shakeup then once there's one man standing .

Not counting out any of the guys on the roster, but bringing in an experienced guy, plus a couple frosh who really look like they can play. Nice. I like both Cherry and Mendoza's high school film.

Our QB room will be loaded over the next few years and I bet in the future too as these coaches do a great job with QBs.

I hope this year goes very well for coach Cignetti and Hoosiers in 2024. I hope this team can knock of some of the bigger boys this year like he thinks he can.

I hope CCC kills it and decides there are no more mountains to climb, cuz if he wins here the suitor list will be long. He has an ego that may not allow him to be content. He’s 62 going on 63, plenty of time for new challenges if he so chooses.

I hope CCC kills it and decides there are no more mountains to climb, cuz if he wins here the suitor list will be long. He has an ego that may not allow him to be content. He’s 62 going on 63, plenty of time for new challenges if he so chooses.
That's the one thing that gives me some pause with CCC. I really think he's going to do well here and if he wins say 7-9 games this year or next...I could see a hungry SEC school pulling up the Brinks truck to his house. I know we can probably match the pay...but will our relative lack of other resources cost us? We'll see, but a good problem to have nonetheless.

I'd love for Indiana FB to be in that position. My gut tells me he will be successful & will stay.

There would be no more meaningful HC accomplishment than to take a school with the all time worst record to the top of the conference. If he does that, the money from IU/alumni will come. For now, I like our odds.

There would be no more meaningful HC accomplishment than to take a school with the all time worst record to the top of the conference. If he does that, the money from IU/alumni will come. For now, I like our odds.
I get what ur saying, and I hope ur right. Some of these guys have egos that won’t let them be content; there is always another hill to climb, and IU is not the pinnacle of college football coaching. Just the opposite actually.

I will say if we can keep him for three years, I like our chances to keep him a few years beyond that. Then things get interesting as far as IU being his forever home, assuming he is the real deal.

Cignetti has a VERY short window to leverage success at Indiana to a bigger job. Common sense tells me he's got roughly a two year window at most to parlay a couple of winning seasons at Indiana into greener pastures.

Indiana is in a situation with the conference mergers and landscape in general that if Cignetti has success and is approached, they'll absolutely have to match most big offers....If they don't, it could lead to their ultimate downfall of getting booted from the conference.

Cignetti has a VERY short window to leverage success at Indiana to a bigger job. Common sense tells me he's got roughly a two year window at most to parlay a couple of winning seasons at Indiana into greener pastures.

Indiana is in a situation with the conference mergers and landscape in general that if Cignetti has success and is approached, they'll absolutely have to match most big offers....If they don't, it could lead to their ultimate downfall of getting booted from the conference.

Cigs buyout after year 2 is 17 million.

A team is really gonna to want a then 64 year old coach to pay that kind of coin, no matter the level that he's winning at.

I think he's here until either a) he retires or b) gets fired.

A team is really gonna to want a then 64 year old coach to pay that kind of coin, no matter the level that he's winning at.

i don't think athletic departments care how much they spend.

The people hiring and firing coaches are graded by performance.. not by how much money they burn through doing it.

You may be right but it won't be the buyout stopping other teams.

You're making the case for why a 17 million dollar buyout would be a reason to stay away from a 64 year old coach.

No, I said they would go with the younger coach if they felt both were similar. That is based completely on age and not buyout.

So you think a power 5 school that is going to be in the market for giving Cigs a pay raise (i don't see cigs leaving for a pay cut) would care about the buyout if Cigs was their top choice?

I am saying that among the P5 schools that could afford to take Cigs at his salary won't care at all about his buyout.

Reactions: vesuvius13
No, I said they would go with the younger coach if they felt both were similar. That is based completely on age and not buyout.

So you think a power 5 school that is going to be in the market for giving Cigs a pay raise (i don't see cigs leaving for a pay cut) would care about the buyout if Cigs was their top choice?

I am saying that among the P5 schools that could afford to take Cigs at his salary won't care at all about his buyout.

I'm saying its highly unlikely a school is going to pay his buyout when he's already of older age when there are gonna be younger, cheaper options when it's all said and done.

I'll ask you this, is school more likely to go after him if he has a 5 million buyout or a 17 million buyout at his age?

I'm saying its highly unlikely a school is going to pay his buyout when he's already of older age when there are gonna be younger, cheaper options when it's all said and done.

I'll ask you this, is school more likely to go after him if he has a 5 million buyout or a 17 million buyout at his age?
I'm saying in this scenario where Cigs is performing well, age is the only thing that matters to any school that can afford to take him from us. BUYOUT DOESN'T MATTER.

That's the one thing that gives me some pause with CCC. I really think he's going to do well here and if he wins say 7-9 games this year or next...I could see a hungry SEC school pulling up the Brinks truck to his house. I know we can probably match the pay...but will our relative lack of other resources cost us? We'll see, but a good problem to have nonetheless.
I think that’s right. Looking at our TV $ increase we could pay Cig $10M if we wanted. But the infrastructure/history of other schools can obviously level up the NIL and player talent potential beyond what we could do.

At least the universe of schools that could take him is getting smaller given we are in the B1G and flush with revenue. And yea he hasn’t coached a game…

The last time someone came here and was responsible for winning eight games they were in high demand vbg.

Buyout after year 2 for the school is $14 million ($17 million is on or after Nov 30th 2025, realistically both Indiana and another school would wait until after this date since it's one day after the season would end). However, that's for Indiana buying out Cignetti. Coach Cig's buyout, and what the hiring school would pay, is only $4 million for a buyout occurring between Dec 1st 2025 and Nov 30th 2026.

I also agree he is here until he retires or gets fired, more likely the former unless the team somehow doesn't improve at all from the past three seasons. Even if he's mediocre and brings us to a bowl game every other year, I can't imagine he would be a hot commodity once his contract is up, especially since he'll already be 63 by seasons start. I have a lot more confidence in him than that but realistically this will be his last stop. Only two scenarios that change that are a B1G championship appearance this season and he moves elsewhere or 6 or less conference wins over the next three seasons and Indiana buys him out for $9 million.

Last edited:
This QB room will be pretty sweet for a couple years. May shakeup then once there's one man standing .

Not counting out any of the guys on the roster, but bringing in an experienced guy, plus a couple frosh who really look like they can play. Nice. I like both Cherry and Mendoza's high school film.
Where have I heard that before about the quarterback room and the running back room?

Where have I heard that before about the quarterback room and the running back room?
We have a coaches on offense that know what they are doing and the OL is going to be good with Bostad coaching now. Also we have coaches that don't say the OL has to lose weight but instead they work hard in lifting.

You have just shown you are negative no matter who the coaches are.

We have a coaches on offense that know what they are doing and the OL is going to be good with Bostad coaching now. Also we have coaches that don't say the OL has to lose weight but instead they work hard in lifting.

You have just shown you are negative no matter who the coaches are.
our offense should be good. the defense is the big ?

Agree with your post, but we're not getting kicked out of the conference.

Yeah, unless we get some studs in the portal, our Defense has the potential to be awful next year. Unless our Defensive coaches are geniuses.
I don't doubt they will put a better defense on the field than we have seen in a few years as B1G teams figured out coach Allen's defense. It will be nice to see the front playing a different way.

Which makes PSU’s hire all the more interesting… what defense is Allen expect red to install this spring?
I don't think it has anything to do with figuring it out and everything to do with personnel and coaching/recruiting.

We had some studs on the Dline in Allen's first few years here. I think our recruiting dropped off in that area and our Defense wasn't the same after Wommack left.

I don't think it has anything to do with figuring it out and everything to do with personnel and coaching/recruiting.

We had some studs on the Dline in Allen's first few years here. I think our recruiting dropped off in that area and our Defense wasn't the same after Wommack left.
Penn State press suggests it will be his patented scheme as there will be a ‘Bull’.

Penn State press suggests it will be his patented scheme as there will be a ‘Bull’.
Am I dreaming, or did JMU also run a 4-2-5, with 'Stinger' instead of whatever that hybrid LB/DB we used (can't remember the name of it)?

Not sure where you heard it before. Elaborate?
So I just googled it. Preseason 2021 article talked about Indiana having perhaps the deepest quarterback room in program history. Very easy to find similar articles about the running back room.

I’m not saying that they’re not gonna have depth at skill positions. I’m just saying I never believe anything I hear about preseason Indiana football. Never. Remember when the savior of the quarterback room was going to be the kid the transferred from Arizona? He didn’t even make it out of camp. How about DiNardo bringing his boy in from Notre Dame? And then there was that kid from Florida who needed to get a new start somewhere else. Didn’t he end up somewhere like Washington?

You live with what you got. Right now what IUFB has is a QB roster that appears more positive than the last 2 seasons. Agreed come late Summer it could have less luster. But right now it looks optimistic with a staff better skilled to develop it.

You live with what you got. Right now what IUFB has is a QB roster that appears more positive than the last 2 seasons. Agreed come late Summer it could have less luster. But right now it looks optimistic with a staff better skilled to develop it.
The one thing our QB room has this year that it's lacked in the past is a proven veteran at the position. The other 3 are unknowns, except for Tayven, but the kid from Ohio U is legit.

Am I dreaming, or did JMU also run a 4-2-5, with 'Stinger' instead of whatever that hybrid LB/DB we used (can't remember the name of it)?
The left DE was called Bull and played a stand up style edge. The next guy to his left (#0, Noah Pierre) was called Husky. Huskies are a combo “in the box (walked up) strong safety/LB“ … and slot corner.

IU’s 4-2-5 alignment was an under … with the Will (Sting, #4 Cam Jones) playing inside and Sam (now Husky) playing outside the left (strong) DE.

4-2-5 and 3-3-5 are the predominant architectures employed today. You may recall the Bearcats concentrating their 3 stout DLs in nearly a bear look.

We can perhaps thank Dan Marino‘s defeat of the 84 bears where Marino got rid of the ball before Wilbur Marshall (playing Sam) could get home for the 4-2-5 rise to prominence.

Reactions: 76-1 and DANC
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT