ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama 2023 vs, Baylor early 2000's Compare and Contrast

Crossblock

Senior
Jan 8, 2019
The situation at Alabama reminded Me to refresh my Memory on the Baylor situation of about 20 Years ago. The tipping point there was a Murder charge against One Player for shooting and killing a Teammate, and if I remember right some lesser charges against other Players. This led to an Internal Investigation by Baylor as well as an expanded NCAA Investigation that found numerous violations of NCAA Rules. by the way, Dave Bliss Who was a long time Assistant at Indiana and then Head Coach at SMU, was Baylor Coach at the time.

Baylor got about everything but the Death Penalty. Lost Scholarships, recruiting and visit restrictions and a very odd penalty, restricting them to only playing Conference Games for a period of 2 Years. Scott Drew of course went there as Coach and worked the program through much of this and got them where they are today.

If this is the tip of the Iceberg at Alabama and reflects their lack of respect for people, chances are they have the same disdain for NCAA Rules. Don't be surprised if the NCAA shows up after this Season to do an Audit followed by a full scale investigation. The NCAA may need Alabama Football to survive, but They can do well without an Alabama Basketball program.

from what I remember, Bliss really made things worse for Baylor by either not cooperating with investigators or pressuring people to lie to cops/NCAA. We’ll see how Oats plays it if they investigate like you suggest.

I’m shocked Miller didn’t at least get suspended. He will need NBA money for the civil suit coming. Alabama will be getting sued too.

Oats always appeared to be grease ball, but that has now been confirmed.

If this happened at IU, especially how Oats handled the press afterwards, the coach would be fired and player dismissed.

Reactions: Spartans9312
I’m shocked Miller didn’t at least get suspended. He will need NBA money for the civil suit coming. Alabama will be getting sued too.

Oats always appeared to be grease ball, but that has now been confirmed.

If this happened at IU, especially how Oats handled the press afterwards, the coach would be fired and player dismissed.
Agree, you could probably discipline the Coach for his actions, assuming there are such stipulations in his contract, but the player could probably only be suspended, at least for criminal charges until they are prosecuted. But, they might be able to find violations of student policy, especially having a gun in his possession.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT