ADVERTISEMENT

Akron/IU Prediction Thread

41-13 Indiana

Keeping my initial prediction but crossing my fingers we keep them 10 or under. Would be nice to have a more lopsided win than Kentucky had against them last week. Need to come out strong and quick and brush off any lingering thoughts of last weeks slow start and finish. Tune up game for getting into B1G play and need to be full focused to bum rush Maryland next week in College Park.

IU 27
Akron 15

It took Kentucky a while to get going, and put them away. I predict it'll take us longer, like until the end of the game to put them away.

Reactions: vesuvius13
will be interesting to see if Sorsby gets any meaningful snaps.

in the passing game Sorsby looked the better of the 2 vs OSU, then got far fewer snaps vs ISU although just as productive when he did, then got zero vs L'ville.

interesting way to conduct a QB battle.

i don't see practice, and practice isn't the same as a game.

perhaps Jackson is better, but that wasn't really shown vs OSU or ISU.

last yr was maybe the biggest display of a coaching total incompetence clusterfk in the history of college football in regards to picking a QB.

it would be nice to think IU learned something from that, but did they.

not saying that TJ didn't look promising vs L'ville, but he did have zero points in the first half and BS looked promising as well in the few snaps he's gotten.

you can't have a true QB comparison unless both sides get an equal shot.

hopefully both get equal shots vs Akron so we'll have more to go on when B10 play starts.

Reactions: FamousShoes22
will be interesting to see if Sorsby gets any meaningful snaps.

in the passing game Sorsby looked the better of the 2 vs OSU, then got far fewer snaps vs ISU although just as productive when he did, then got zero vs L'ville.

interesting way to conduct a QB battle.

i don't see practice, and practice isn't the same as a game.

perhaps Jackson is better, but that wasn't really shown vs OSU or ISU.

last yr was maybe the biggest display of a coaching total incompetence clusterfk in the history of college football in regards to picking a QB.

it would be nice to think IU learned something from that, but did they.

not saying that TJ didn't look promising vs L'ville, but he did have zero points in the first half and BS looked promising as well in the few snaps he's gotten.

you can't have a true QB comparison unless both sides get an equal shot.

hopefully both get equal shots vs Akron so we'll have more to go on when B10 play starts.
absent a clear cut leader...at some point, you just have to pick one of them. I don't have any issues with that being TJ, from what I've seen. And as down as I have been on CTA and much of his staff, they see these guys every day, and I'm sure they all want to win way worse than we do. If they've chosen TJ, its because they think he gives them the best chance to win. I'm cool with that.

absent a clear cut leader...at some point, you just have to pick one of them. I don't have any issues with that being TJ, from what I've seen. And as down as I have been on CTA and much of his staff, they see these guys every day, and I'm sure they all want to win way worse than we do. If they've chosen TJ, its because they think he gives them the best chance to win. I'm cool with that.
Kid could end up being a very special player for us.

well, they picked one last yr, didn't they.

how'd that work out?

the key is to pick the right one, and that can't be done absent everyone getting a fair chance.

games like Akron and ISU, and open full scrimmages are the only way for that to happen.

that said,

A), i never have believed in the myth that you have to only play 1 QB, while you sub everything else.

if you have 2 QBs, you have 2 QBs, not zero.

with the position being more involved on every play now, and more complex, that's truer than ever.

B), coaches recently, college and pro, have been terrible at evaluating who should and shouldn't be playing QB these days.

perhaps that's because they don't scrimmage any more.

C), the football coaching and media industrial complex has to be the most stubborn, most unwilling to change and adapt, most ultra conservative beyond belief, group on earth.

how'd that work out?

the key is to pick the right one, and that can't be done absent everyone getting a fair chance.

games like Akron and ISU, and open full scrimmages are the only way for that to happen.

that said,

A), i never have believed in the myth that you have to only play 1 QB, while you sub everything else.

with the position being more involved on every play now, and more complex, that's truer than ever.

B), coaches recently, college and pro, have been terrible at evaluating who should and shouldn't be playing QB these days.

C), the football coaching and media industrial complex has to be the most stubborn, most unwilling to change and adapt, most ultra conservative beyond belief, group on earth.
You can't compare either one of these guys with Baselac. That guy was a total dud. I think maybe tj has shown a bit more in practice. That being said, I'm glad we got Sorsby just in case. I agree with you if you have 2 solid, QBs that's that's a huge advantage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion

how'd that work out?

that said,

Good post. Football coaches are probably the most overrated aspect of the sport.

how'd that work out?

that said,

All good points.

But as crappy as I think Allen and Bell have been the last year and a quarter…they know a hell of a lot more than I do about football. And more than a hell of a lot more about this IU team.

And Tayven has looked pretty solid.

Having a solid, established, QB1, I think still has a ton of value…over and above the stats that player puts up. More than any other position in pretty much any sport, the quarterback determines his teams success levels. I’ve not ever seen a 2 qb system work. Maybe it has somewhere? I’m not sure IU needs to blaze that path though.

Jackson in the second half showed why they picked him and Bell needs to stop trying to options try running two RBs and run counter plays instead of options.

IU 42
Akron 0 shut them down defense.
TJ can be very good. But Bell needs to get his head out of his ass. He could do the same with Lucas

Reactions: nichlee
All good points.

But as crappy as I think Allen and Bell have been the last year and a quarter…they know a hell of a lot more than I do about football. And more than a hell of a lot more about this IU team.

Having a solid, established, QB1, I think still has a ton of value…over and above the stats that player puts up. More than any other position in pretty much any sport, the quarterback determines his teams success levels. I’ve not ever seen a 2 qb system work. Maybe it has somewhere? I’m not sure IU needs to blaze that path though.
A true QB platoon system doesn’t work. There’s certain QB packages on situational down and distances that may yield some success, but long term you aren’t going to get any kind of consistency rotating QB’s every series.

It’s more important in practice than anything. You want your starting QB getting 100% of the reps in practice not splitting them. Tough to develop any kind of rhythm or consistency with your receivers 50% of the time.

how'd that work out?

that said,

A fair chance? They went through training camp and two games before Jackson was rightfully given the starting job. Most decisions are made before the first game. Sorsby had his chance. There is no reason to put Sorsby in unless we are up big in the 4th quarter. The offense looks quicker and more smooth with Jackson.

A fair chance? They went through training camp and two games before Jackson was rightfully given the starting job. Most decisions are made before the first game. Sorsby had his chance. There is no reason to put Sorsby in unless we are up big in the 4th quarter. The offense looks quicker and more smooth with Jackson.
Jackson supposedly was a better leader, but I do like Sorsby throwing motion and he is .3 secs faster than Jackson in the forty. The best thing is IU has three QBs that are very good [maybe four with our walk on] so I hope in games controlled by IU, they at least get Sorsby in to gain game experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: nichlee and kmathum
All good points.

I remember the last time IU used a two QB system. It was sudfeld and Roberson. Tre made the ultimate choice easy for settling on a single starter.

In my humble, casual fan opinion, if you try to run a two QB system, the most likely result in the long run is having two pissed off QBs instead of one.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I remember the last time IU used a two QB system. It was sudfeld and Roberson. Tre made the ultimate choice easy for settling on a single starter.

In my humble, casual fan opinion, if you try to run a two QB system, the most likely result in the long run is having two pissed off QBs instead of one.
Two guys that play different styles has to be incredibly difficult on the OLine...no?

I'm not sure any of us understand just how important it is for the QB to be in sync with this OLine and his skill guys. I think IUs QBs actually have very similar styles and abilities. Its not like Justin Fields and Joe Burrow. But even different cadences, different progression patterns, different "scramble clocks"...can have a huge impact on the players around the QB.

All it takes is 1 receiver breaking off a route and the QB not knowing/feeling he's going to, and its an unecessary pick 6. That's a dramatic example...but gives a good example of the importance of QB chemistry with his teammates. Much more difficult to pull that off with 2 QBs.

I think (hope) we will do well. We should put up 30 something on offense.
Defense wise, should hold them below 17 and maybe below 14.
Bigger problem for us is I do not see a conference win with the possible exception of the PU game.

Reactions: nichlee
Style points would say IU needs to win by say 52 - 3.
Don‘t think the offense is ready to score 52.
How about 38 - 3.

+21, a lot of OL 2s see snaps
Over +21, Sorsby gets a Q4 series or two.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT