ADVERTISEMENT

After Newkirk, what's next?

Joseph Seattle

All-American
May 28, 2008
3 spots left (assuming Troy goes and JBJ stays): Take any of Thon, Davis, Brown, Leaf, Bridges, Kegler if available.

Jones or Carter you have to take because they are good and they may influence Bridges or Kegler. But if Bridges or Kegler go elsewhere, I'd probably stop pursuing Jones and Carter.

JBJ's knee surgery being his second in three years may mean he's more solidly a 3/4 year player. But if he goes in the spring, IU could pursue Alkins with his spot if he wanted to go to IU or have a valuable spot available in the spring which IU has seen great value from having the last couple of years. I personally wouldn't recruit as if JBJ's spot will be available unless he indicates he doesn't care if he's a second rounder, Alkins' decision to wait til spring may be a perfect hedge if that comes about.

There may be another transfer, I could see Priller going to play for Shooter after next year if he doesn't seem to be developing into a BIG level contributor, but with the criticism he took for landing him I'm sure the coach would like to see Priller graduate at IU (if after 3 years instead of 4 perhaps and adding a 2017 ride). The availability of the extra grant past what we can see can, of course, have something to do with who wants to come to IU. If IU lands GG, JN, Jones, Bridges, Davis, I am sure they would figure things out if Thon or Alkins wanted to come. But if they land GG, JN, Jones, Bridges, Davis, and Simpson or Gordon wants to come, maybe they wait and see where the grant is coming from first.

I like the Newkirk addition because Fisher isn't leaning IU that we know of, and the other points IU has a shot with (Simpson and Green) seem to be the kind of kids you'd rather see forced to play heavy minutes after their freshman year. If the med staff checked him out and like what they see and heard well enough that they went for it I figure they know much better than any guess I could make about how likely he will come back from his surgery. It will be nice to have a BIG level veteran point there to mix in with RJ and JBJ or his replacement. Hopefully RJ develops into the point, but they have that spot covered with a guy that we know should be a solid bench guy at this level and reasonably could be a solid starter in a year or two. He had a great game against IU which may taint my perception of him a little for the positive (Yogi played some All American/All League type guys much better than he did Newkirk), but that would be unwise considering Newkirk's season averages were modest. Having a guy like this to play decent bench minutes, with experience especially, makes IU using two combo types at guard as starters a more viable option and with RJ and JBJ likely lined up that's exactly what IU needed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News