ADVERTISEMENT

Advice on how to get a table at Mother Bears

I shudder to think what I payed for towing when I was a student - and I couldn't afford it.

Most times, I'd let the garage or lot keep my car until I could afford to pay the fee. I'd check to see how long i had before they started piling on penalty charges and find a way to pay it off before then. Several times I missed the deadline and barely got the car out before they took possession and sold it.

If there was anything like Uber back then, I'd not have felt the need to have a car.
I may have been there a bit before you but cabs were cheap. They had the big yellow jobs.

We also had pledges. Problem was...they were usually drunk. I was nice and always bought their taco bell or other drive through.

I shudder to think what I payed for towing when I was a student - and I couldn't afford it.

Most times, I'd let the garage or lot keep my car until I could afford to pay the fee. I'd check to see how long i had before they started piling on penalty charges and find a way to pay it off before then. Several times I missed the deadline and barely got the car out before they took possession and sold it.

If there was anything like Uber back then, I'd not have felt the need to have a car.
It’s actually illegal to hold it hostage. They will scream and kick but they have to give you your car If a private company had it towed. They must give you 24 hrs regardless of posted signs. The police will make them give it back 99% of the time. If you don’t eventually pay they will take you to court.

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1 and ams66
It’s actually illegal to hold it hostage. They will scream and kick but they have to give you your car If a private company had it towed. They must give you 24 hrs regardless of posted signs. The police will make them give it back 99% of the time. If you don’t eventually pay they will take you to court.
Always wondered if they would actually follow through on filing a court claim.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Always wondered if they would actually follow through on filing a court claim.
They don’t always. My brother got his car towed from behind kilroys. He was the DD so they couldn’t threaten public intoxication. He ended up calling a buddy who’s a police officer. They gave it back pretty quick. He wouldn’t sign anything either. They never did take him to court. Most are just rackets.

please elaborate and clarify.

"must give you 24 hrs" to do what?

can they hold it if you don't pay the ransom, or are you saying they can't hold it if you do?

please elaborate and clarify.

"must give you 24 hrs" to do what?

can they hold it if you don't pay the ransom, or are you saying they can't hold it if you do?
To move the car. They can’t hold the car if towed from private property. If they deny you your property it’s basically theft. Now if it’s on public property they can tow it without notice. There are exceptions but they are spelled out.

To move the car. They can’t hold the car if towed from private property. If they deny you your property it’s basically theft. Now if it’s on public property they can tow it without notice. There are exceptions but they are spelled out.

are you defining a business parking lot as "public" or "private" property?

are you defining a business parking lot as "public" or "private" property?
Business is private. If it’s not hindering a right of way, alley etc…if it’s in a parking spot out of the way they can’t tow it and hold it hostage. They must have proof it’s been there 24hrs. They would love you to think different. I don’t condone parking in private spots but I’m telling you the tow companies in Btown are predatory.

In Indiana, there's a “24-hour” law. Under that law, any vehicle left on private property is considered an abandoned vehicle, but before it can be towed, it must be tagged with a notification sticker and left for 24 hours

Reactions: i'vegotwinners
Business is private. If it’s not hindering a right of way, alley etc…if it’s in a parking spot out of the way they can’t tow it and hold it hostage. They must have proof it’s been there 24hrs. They would love you to think different. I don’t condone parking in private spots but I’m telling you the tow companies in Btown are predatory.

In Indiana, there's a “24-hour” law. Under that law, any vehicle left on private property is considered an abandoned vehicle, but before it can be towed, it must be tagged with a notification sticker and left for 24 hours
I lost mine behind Mother bears within 90 minutes.

I lost mine behind Mother bears within 90 minutes.
All through grad school in the mid to late 90s and visits back to BTown I never got towed for parking at the lot behind Bears Place. They must have somehow known how much money I spent there as an undergrad and grad student.

Never pushed my luck parking behind Mother Bears.

Illegally. Bloomington is notorious for that. If you pushed the issue they would’ve folded. Know the law.

south-park.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT