ADVERTISEMENT

Advice on how to get a table at Mother Bears

I still miss the original before 1985 noble Roman’s.
Garcias?
I can go with no bad chocolate.... pizza? I feel like I've had bad pizza. It is funny though how much nostalgia and your expectations affect your thoughts. I have positive memories of Mother Bears because I love the spot. I never got carry out from MB so it was usually an event (going out to dinner) and generally with family or friends because it was at the other end of campus from where I lived. I took my son there when we did our return to IN tour and we loved it. I have a great picture of him, braces and all, looking out over a piping hot loaded MB pie and it's one of my favorites of all time!
yes, on the nostalgia. Overall experience can affect so many things. Have a mediocre meal but eat it in your favorite place in the world, drink a bad beer on a tropical beach. Etc.

I used to love Nicks pizza. However, give me that same pizza and feed it to me in the middle of a bad day, where I’m somewhere where I don’t want to be and I have a feeling it will taste like cardboard.

Reactions: DANC and kkott
Garcias?

yes, on the nostalgia. Overall experience can affect so many things. Have a mediocre meal but eat it in your favorite place in the world, drink a bad beer on a tropical beach. Etc.

I used to love Nicks pizza. However, give me that same pizza and feed it to me in the middle of a bad day, where I’m somewhere where I don’t want to be and I have a feeling it will taste like cardboard.
Yeah, I'm not a foodie, but one of my favorite meals ever was some grilled chicken and black beans at Trunk Bay on St Johns Island USVI. Gorgeous beach in a national park and there was a concession stand right there that had a decent sandwich type menu, and (surprisingly to me) sold beer and mixed drinks. Best, probably cheapest and most simple meal of the trip.

Reactions: .Gerdis
Yup. I briefly overlapped with Borden's over on Main St on the same block that Old Town Tavern and Barbara's was on. Killer deli sandwiches. And was it Tresslers that still had a lunch counter? Awful Waffle when it was still on Washington Ave/7th st - Hamburger special for a dollar and a quarter. I was just there in November, the high school is gone and Clark was turned into apartments. They did a nice job with the apartments, a friend lives on one so I got a full tour. They filled in the tunnel. They kept half the Clark Gym/Auditorium intact complete with the upstairs seating. It reminded me that's why we all had open campus for lunch - the gym was the lunch room for the Jr high and HS.
I haven't been back in town for 35 yrs but did some virtual exploring on google maps street view a while back, and saw Clark JH converted into apartments. I had to scratch my head when you mentioned 'tunnel' since it's been more than 40 yr, but now I think I remember there was a hallway under the street connecting Clark and the old LIncoln HS? Memory getting foggy as I get older.

We'd always make the 5 block run down to Byron Bobe's across from St John Church. $1.50 for pepperoni stromboli and soda, then waste quarters in the back room arcade when Asteroids and Missile Command came out....this was before girls became my top priority.

Kinda sad to roll into town and see the empty space that was once the mighty Executive Inn. Lots of very old personal memories from that place. I watched the IU-UCLA '85 NIT championship in there while visiting friends on spring break (damn you Reggie Miller).

Reactions: Spartans9312
I can go with no bad chocolate.... pizza? I feel like I've had bad pizza. It is funny though how much nostalgia and your expectations affect your thoughts. I have positive memories of Mother Bears because I love the spot. I never got carry out from MB so it was usually an event (going out to dinner) and generally with family or friends because it was at the other end of campus from where I lived. I took my son there when we did our return to IN tour and we loved it. I have a great picture of him, braces and all, looking out over a piping hot loaded MB pie and it's one of my favorites of all time!
Agreed. I've had bad pizza.

Pizza King is still my favorite, but Noble Romans has opened some more stores in Indiana and their deep dish can't be beat - brings back memories of going out Sunday nights at IU to the Noble Roman's on 3rd street by the Nunnery.

Garcias?

Nick's food, in general, has gone downhill over the years. The pizza is OK, but not as good as I remember it. Their burgers used to be great, too. The last couple I've had have been dry. It might help if I didn't go with the 10,000 other alumni at the same time.

Nick's food, in general, has gone downhill over the years. The pizza is OK, but not as good as I remember it. Their burgers used to be great, too. The last couple I've had have been dry. It might help if I didn't go with the 10,000 other alumni at the same time.
Yes, staffing issues, plus don’t even open the hump room, or even the attic (at times).

Yes, staffing issues, plus don’t even open the hump room, or even the attic (at times).
I loved the attic and it's sometimes not open. I spent half my college time up there, I think. Never was a big fan of the Hump Room - not enough atmosphere.

The upstairs bar is where all the action is now. I don't think they appreciate grandpas in there.

Reactions: .Gerdis
I loved the attic and it's sometimes not open. I spent half my college time up there, I think. Never was a big fan of the Hump Room - not enough atmosphere.

The upstairs bar is where all the action is now. I don't think they appreciate grandpas in there.
Same here, though spent the day in the Hump room with a big group for the ‘87 title game.

Pizza King is still my favorite, but Noble Romans has opened some more stores in Indiana and their deep dish can't be beat - brings back memories of going out Sunday nights at IU to the Noble Roman's on 3rd street by the Nunnery.
Man, I haven't had it in so long, but I loved me some Noble Roman's deep dish back in the day! Don't know if there are still any left, but I have seen 1 or 2 around the Carolinas at one time or another!

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
you can order something other than a strom at Nicks? I mean beside pints? Thought it was a 2 item menu...

I live in Omaha now and we have some good pizza places, and

i have a reservation there for saturday night, mother bears will be friday night. can't wait!
Didn't Pizza Hut start in Omaha?

Enjoy your weekend. Head over to the museum at some point. One of their current exhibits is Italian Renaissance paintings.

you can order something other than a strom at Nicks? I mean beside pints? Thought it was a 2 item menu...
Yeah, you can also get fries in addition to a stromboli and beer.

Man, I haven't had it in so long, but I loved me some Noble Roman's deep dish back in the day! Don't know if there are still any left, but I have seen 1 or 2 around the Carolinas at one time or another!
Really! If you find one, let me know, because I'd go in a heartbeat.

There's a Noble Romans in Kokomo and I go there whenever I go back home. Still tastes great!

I got burned out on stroms and I'm afraid it doesn't have the cache it used to. Maybe my taste buds have changed, I don't know. If I get one, it's a BBQ strom.

Didn't Pizza Hut start in Omaha?

Enjoy your weekend. Head over to the museum at some point. One of their current exhibits is Italian Renaissance paintings.

Yeah, you can also get fries in addition to a stromboli and beer.
Sink the Biz fries! Yum!

The craft pizza and pubs.

Swing in was a nostalgia place. Fred Rice son has Rocky’s. It’s ok and tastes like the original swing in more than the new swing in.

We have a noble Roman’s craft pizza pub on the west side of Evansville. The deep dish and breadsticks are spot on. The hand tosses is not.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
I haven't been back in town for 35 yrs but did some virtual exploring on google maps street view a while back, and saw Clark JH converted into apartments. I had to scratch my head when you mentioned 'tunnel' since it's been more than 40 yr, but now I think I remember there was a hallway under the street connecting Clark and the old LIncoln HS? Memory getting foggy as I get older.

We'd always make the 5 block run down to Byron Bobe's across from St John Church. $1.50 for pepperoni stromboli and soda, then waste quarters in the back room arcade when Asteroids and Missile Command came out....this was before girls became my top priority.

Kinda sad to roll into town and see the empty space that was once the mighty Executive Inn. Lots of very old personal memories from that place. I watched the IU-UCLA '85 NIT championship in there while visiting friends on spring break (damn you Reggie Miller).
You must not have been in band/ chorus or you would remember the tunnel. We had to go over to Lincoln every day for music stuff. My "boyfriend" when I was in 7th grade was a frosh and we would leave notes in the tunnel to each other. He's my friend that lives in the apartments now (boyfriend in quotes because we are both gay and even though we didn't know it at the time were really just friends more than anything).

My family was 6th St Bobes all the way.

I watched the '85 NITs from a dorm at IU my first year there (I went to VU for two years first) - I think I had a drum corps camp one of the weekends of Spring Break so I stayed in Bloomington.

My 40th was this Fall, but I didn't go back for it, so we might know each other.

We have a noble Roman’s craft pizza pub on the west side of Evansville. The deep dish and breadsticks are spot on. The hand tosses is not.
We had a Mobil Romans (how did that not catch on?) next to us on Walnut when I lived in a big house with 5 other friends and one of our roommates delivered for them. He'd bring home all the leftover breadsticks and cheese dip at night after close and any pizzas leftover... heaven when he walked in and you weren't expecting it! Occasionaly we would call and order a bogus pie for delivery, because they'd usually call us and let us buy it for half off if it wasn't claimed. At times we'd have to order 2 bogus, the first they might eat and then the 2nd for us!

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Really! If you find one, let me know, because I'd go in a heartbeat.

There's a Noble Romans in Kokomo and I go there whenever I go back home. Still tastes great!
Just checked their website: no luck, but I know I saw one in eastern NC once upon a time, but I used to travel more in the state with a former job. Believe it was in Fayetteville, and there may have been more than one. There also used to be a Godfathers in Park Rd Shopping Center many moons ago.

Not great pizza in Charlotte overall unless you've found it. I like Portofinos and I tried Pizza Peel and liked it. Wolfman has some decent pies too. I'll meet you at Pizza Peel sometime if you want to give it a shot. It's off Randolph and Sharon Amity.

Reactions: DANC
Swing in was a nostalgia place. Fred Rice son has Rocky’s. It’s ok and tastes like the original swing in more than more than new swing in.
The new one sucks.

Never heard of Rocky's - where is it?

For many years, I'd get a sub after a BB game and drive home and heat is up - pure awesomeness.

Just checked their website: no luck, but I know I saw one in eastern NC once upon a time, but I used to travel more in the state with a former job. Believe it was in Fayetteville, and there may have been more than one. There also used to be a Godfathers in Park Rd Shopping Center many moons ago.

Not great pizza in Charlotte overall unless you've found it. I like Portofinos and I tried Pizza Peel and liked it. Wolfman has some decent pies too. I'll meet you at Pizza Peel sometime if you want to give it a shot. It's off Randolph and Sharon Amity.
Yeah, we could do that. Is it a sit-down place? TVs? Maybe meet up for a game if they do.

I've heard Portofinos is good

The new one sucks.

Never heard of Rocky's - where is it?

For many years, I'd get a sub after a BB game and drive home and heat is up - pure awesomeness.
Next to the old noble Roman’s. 1713 N college. IGA used to be there also. Don’t mind the sidearm. Rocky has open carry.
The sausage and mushroom is my favorite. Stroms are really good too. Nostalgia thing.

I've only been to Lennies once since they moved to Kirkwood. Wasn't very good to be honest. Hopefully it was just a bad day for them.

Hello IU Nation, My family and I are coming into town MLK weekend for the IU-Wisconsin Game. We will have up to 7 of us and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to how to secure a table for 7 on Friday evening. I've tried calling them several times and also reached out via social media but have not heard anything. What kind of odds do you give me on getting a table at 5:30 on Friday night?
The first thing you have to do it cut a hole in the ice
Then circle the hole with peas
When Mother Bear goes for a pea, you kick her in the ice hole and take your table.

Yeah, we could do that. Is it a sit-down place? TVs? Maybe meet up for a game if they do.

I've heard Portofinos is good
It is a sit down place and I remember it having a nice interior, but don't know about TVs. I'll have to check on that. Portofinos is good for pizza and also as a sit down Italian place. Pretty reasonably priced, good food and great fresh bread! If you have one near you, it's a good place for a meal/date.

It is a sit down place and I remember it having a nice interior, but don't know about TVs. I'll have to check on that. Portofinos is good for pizza and also as a sit down Italian place. Pretty reasonably priced, good food and great fresh bread! If you have one near you, it's a good place for a meal/date.
I see there's a Pizza Peel in Matthews, too. People in my neighborhood rave about Portofino's, so I need to check it out.

I see there's a Pizza Peel in Matthews, too. People in my neighborhood rave about Portofino's, so I need to check it out.
I think it's really good for the price. Very good pastas and pizza, calamari and it's pretty reasonable.

Hello IU Nation, My family and I are coming into town MLK weekend for the IU-Wisconsin Game. We will have up to 7 of us and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to how to secure a table for 7 on Friday evening. I've tried calling them several times and also reached out via social media but have not heard anything. What kind of odds do you give me on getting a table at 5:30 on Friday night?
Table hell, you should be more concerned with parking.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
Table hell, you should be more concerned with parking.
Yeah, if you are going to the campus location...which is better...parking sucks badly. All the residential streets are now permit. We got towed from a closed office strip behind there that was all closed for the day.

This was our experience as well in Zville. Sticks and deep dish were similar to the old days but the hand tossed is crap.
As long as the deep dish Scicilan is the same, I'm good.

I save my thin crust love for Pizza King.

Yeah, if you are going to the campus location...which is better...parking sucks badly. All the residential streets are now permit. We got towed from a closed office strip behind there that was all closed for the day.
I shudder to think what I payed for towing when I was a student - and I couldn't afford it.

Most times, I'd let the garage or lot keep my car until I could afford to pay the fee. I'd check to see how long i had before they started piling on penalty charges and find a way to pay it off before then. Several times I missed the deadline and barely got the car out before they took possession and sold it.

If there was anything like Uber back then, I'd not have felt the need to have a car.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT