ADVERTISEMENT

Advice on how to get a table at Mother Bears

Jan 14, 2021
Hello IU Nation, My family and I are coming into town MLK weekend for the IU-Wisconsin Game. We will have up to 7 of us and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to how to secure a table for 7 on Friday evening. I've tried calling them several times and also reached out via social media but have not heard anything. What kind of odds do you give me on getting a table at 5:30 on Friday night?

Probably not much of a wait at 5:30. Show up and have a pitcher at the bar. There is an "Indiana shop" where TIS used to be for those that don't want to wait.

Hello IU Nation, My family and I are coming into town MLK weekend for the IU-Wisconsin Game. We will have up to 7 of us and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to how to secure a table for 7 on Friday evening. I've tried calling them several times and also reached out via social media but have not heard anything. What kind of odds do you give me on getting a table at 5:30 on Friday night?
if you get there around 430, I think you can get the senior discount

The west-side Mother Bears just off the interstate seats a lot of people and can accommodate large groups so unless you are dead-set on eating at the original on 3rd I would consider the other location. I think they take reservations and if not, they can move a crowd through fairly quickly.

I know MBs is usually closed on both New Year's Eve and New Year's Day so if that is when you were trying to reach them, not surprising if you were unsuccessful.

Reactions: DANC
The west-side Mother Bears just off the interstate seats a lot of people and can accommodate large groups so unless you are dead-set on eating at the original on 3rd I would consider the other location. I think they take reservations and if not, they can move a crowd through fairly quickly.

I know MBs is usually closed on both New Year's Eve and New Year's Day so if that is when you were trying to reach them, not surprising if you were unsuccessful.
They don't take reservations, but the line - if there is one - moves quickly.

It's good, but just not the ambiance of the original on 3rd steet.

Just put your name in - they're very good about clearing tables to make room for a larger party.

ah ok, thx! is their pizza just as good? i've only eaten at the one on 3rd

ah ok, thx! is their pizza just as good? i've only eaten at the one on 3rd
Yep. Same pizza and everything else. I actually prefer the West location if I'm with a group - better lighting, more space, easier to see and talk with everyone at the table. Two to four people, the original has more ambiance as DanC noted, and the nostalgia factor as well for many of us.

Mother bears pizza is awful!!! That being said the westside location serves the same crap ;).
I like it for nostalgia reasons. It’s better cold the next day. Yes I’m weird. Pizza in general from indiana is awful. Don’t get me started on tavern cut pizza. The worst is St. Louis pizza. Provel cheese is just gack. Second worst pizza is in Evansville

Last edited:
Reactions: Cavanagh
Mother bears pizza is awful!!! That being said the westside location serves the same crap ;).
I've always felt that pizza, maybe more so than any other fare, is a matter of personal taste. We even disagree within my own family about what is great, good, ok, or awful when it comes to pizza. Mother Bears deep dish is one of my favorite pizzas anywhere, but I recognize it doesn't suit everyone's taste. I've had pizza that came highly recommended to me by others that I thought was complete trash. The same with the national chains, in my own household we have intense disagreements over where to get the Friday-night carryout.

Dave predictably isn’t a fan of the type of pizza MB’s makes. He’s a NYer that’s all about the thin crust cheese slice. Still, he’s entertaining and gives MB’s some respect.

Reactions: MaxCoke and kkott
I've said this elsewhere on here, but it needs to be said again.

There's no such thing as bad pizza. Some of it is just a lot better than others. There are several corollaries that go along with that, but this isn't the AOTF, so I'll leave them to your imagination.

There's no such thing as bad pizza. Some of it is just a lot better than others. There are several corollaries that go along with that, but this isn't the AOTF, so I'll leave them to your imagination.

Not sure I would go that far. Most pizza isn't bad but I had pizza before where the grease was thicker than the pizza. Granted i had greasy toppings (sausage and pepperoni) but it was definitely not appealing.

Of course, then there is microwavable pizza that barely passes as pizza.

I really like Pizza X if I had to choose a place in Bloomington. I thought Mother Bears was just ok and not much of a fan of Avers. None would be considered bad though.

I like it for nostalgia reasons. It’s better cold the next day. Yes I’m weird. Pizza in general from indiana is awful. Don’t get me started on raven cut pizza. The worst is St. Louis pizza. Provel cheese is just gack. Second worst pizza is in Evansville
Turoni's in Evansville is pretty good.

We have gone there before basketball games a couple of times. Same amazing pizza but the atmosphere sucks.
West Side Mother Bears == Townies, mostly. If you're too good to shop at Walmart you might not like the crowd.

East Side Mother Bears == IU people, mostly.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I used to think that Mother Bears was good, but that was before I ever went to New York, New Haven, Boston, etc.

I also thought is was good back then, at age 20-ish, because, growing up as a poor farm boy, I though pizza came in a box from Chef Boy R Dee.

I used to think that Mother Bears was good, but that was before I ever went to New York, New Haven, Boston, etc.

I also thought is was good back then, at age 20-ish, because, growing up as a poor farm boy, I thought pizza came in a box from Chef Boy R Dee.
I don’t know how anyone can see good brick oven stuff even compares to mother bears or pizza x. It is made in a damn roller oven!!!

There's no such thing as bad pizza. Some of it is just a lot better than others. There are several corollaries that go along with that, but this isn't the AOTF, so I'll leave it to the imagination
I’m imagining. It’s a really nice place to be. Good problem to have…etc.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
West Side Mother Bears == Townies, mostly. If you're too good to shop at Walmart you might not like the crowd.

East Side Mother Bears == IU people, mostly.
No true. I’m a former townie and I used to do both. And f-you. Townies showed you wet heads the cool stuff. 😎

Reactions: bawlmer

I also thought is was good back then, at age 20-ish, because, growing up as a poor farm boy, I though pizza came in a box from Chef Boy R Dee.
I have eaten a fair amount of Pizza in NYC, NJ, Boston, etc

i don't get the hype.

Just make a reservation and go to Lennie’s.

I lived off of Bobe’s strombolis back in middle school when Clark JH was still in town and we had open campus lunch. Back when life was simple and more fun.
Yup. I briefly overlapped with Borden's over on Main St on the same block that Old Town Tavern and Barbara's was on. Killer deli sandwiches. And was it Tresslers that still had a lunch counter? Awful Waffle when it was still on Washington Ave/7th st - Hamburger special for a dollar and a quarter. I was just there in November, the high school is gone and Clark was turned into apartments. They did a nice job with the apartments, a friend lives on one so I got a full tour. They filled in the tunnel. They kept half the Clark Gym/Auditorium intact complete with the upstairs seating. It reminded me that's why we all had open campus for lunch - the gym was the lunch room for the Jr high and HS.

I can go with no bad chocolate.... pizza? I feel like I've had bad pizza. It is funny though how much nostalgia and your expectations affect your thoughts. I have positive memories of Mother Bears because I love the spot. I never got carry out from MB so it was usually an event (going out to dinner) and generally with family or friends because it was at the other end of campus from where I lived. I took my son there when we did our return to IN tour and we loved it. I have a great picture of him, braces and all, looking out over a piping hot loaded MB pie and it's one of my favorites of all time!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT