ADVERTISEMENT

A more objective, reasoned discussion about Covid vaccine and policy effectiveness

BradStevens

All-Big Ten
Sep 7, 2023
This is an interesting, kinda non-political (contra pt. 8 below) review of what we now know re COVID vaccine and policy efficacy from a paper recently published:

https://www.econtalk.org/the-good-t...d-vaccine-with-vinay-prasad/#audio-highlights. (this has a transcript if you don't like or want to listen to it)

A brief summary from the beginning of the podcast:

1. The COVID-19 vaccine has been a miraculous, life-saving advance, offering staggering efficacy in adults, and was developed with astonishing speed. The vaccine saved lives in the older cohort. The vaccine did not stop the spread of COVID-19, obviously, but it did reduce the severity of the disease in the older cohort that was dying from Covid.

2. The vaccine did not prevent transmission well. And in the randomized control trials that led to vaccine approval, we could have explicitly tested whether or not the vaccine slowed or halted transmission. We did not do so. Why is an interesting question that is discussed.

3. We made the mistake of extrapolating our vaccine advice to older, unvaccinated cohort to people who had already had and recovered from COVID-19, an extrapolation that lacked evidence.

4. We pushed vaccines in younger and younger populations, where the risk and benefit balance were more tenuous and uncertain. The evidence is weak that perpetual vaccination in children (esp. those who have had Covid-19) is effective or worthwhile. Govts. were reluctant to admit, investigate, and act upon harms that were being discovered w/r/t the vaccine in some age cohorts. (Israeli study in particular showed the risk of myocarditis in young men 16-22 far exceeded potential benefit of vaccine). Because of this, the vaccine did more harm than good among certain cohorts in the short term. In the long term, school closures were a policy blunder, that when you look at all-cause mortality into the future and lost-life-years of the entire population, did much more harm than good. (You can also probably tack on the trillions the world spent and continues to spend recovering from the economic shut downs that will be passed onto the young as another cost/harm to them).

5. The timing of the initial vaccine approval was probably driven by politics. Trump wanted it before the election to crow about it, but scientists were publicly stating during the 2020 election that the vaccine might not be effective, might do more harm than good, etc. and then did an about-face after Biden was in office in terms of public messaging and at that point oversold it. (obviously the most controversial part of this discussion/paper).

No one here is an epidemiologist, so it's tough to judge Prasad's accuracy. The link to the pod already has some discussion, with arguing back and forth about his reasoning. But I found this relatively easy to follow as a layman. I think the most important take away for everyone here: evaluating the vaccine and our policy responses is complicated and to do so well, you have to admit uncertainty--even now (hi there, scientific method!)--and be nuanced in your analysis.

Aside: It's too bad we don't have one, unified COVID thread, one unified Trump sucks thread, and one unified Biden sucks thread. Messages and topics would be much easier to navigate.

Regarding this one, @TheOriginalHappyGoat or @UncleMark , do you think it worth trying out this thread as one of those where we don't allow name calling, overt political dumbassery, etc. to invade?

The study does seem a reasonably fair summary of what happened during the vaccine development and roll-out. The questions about the FDA's role approving the vaccines and whether there was political influence did a good job of capturing the dynamics of concern about lowering safety standards to get approval before the elections balanced against avoiding unnecessary delays. This GAO report considers the FDA's actions during the fall of 2020 and calls for more transparency but there was no suggestion of undue political influence in those actions.

Another COVID-related issue that hasn't received enough attention is resistance to contact tracing technology. We seem to be fine with Google tracking our every move in order to sell that data to merchants, but think it's a privacy invasion to use that technology to inform people if they have been exposed to an infected person.

If we want to avoid future lockdowns, we would be wise to be open-minded about the ways technology can help.

If you want our help, please allow us to hold this knife, against your daughters throat just incase we need to use your info in a way that you do INITIALLY agree to.

What possibly could go wrong. Could we put fauxi in charge of this program? Seems like a great idea to me.
Three posts in, objective and reasoned discussion goes out the window.

Three posts in, objective and reasoned discussion goes out the window.
Describing what giving all of our info over to actors with already proven bad intentions, as yet another "unintended consequence" that the left (DC as a whole), is out the window?
OH, I know, after 30 pages of bullspit, talking past each other, when it finally comes up and there are 3,000 unknown FISA warrants, untold # of EX high level swamp executives approve of under other swamp pressures, would be better.
Then count me as a glass breaker.
FWIW, using our tech to help is a good thing. The people who control our tech are not your friend and they have proven it over and over again. So go fix those people to have me/ you as their personal responsibility, as in their lives depend on it, and then we can talk. Until then, all they are doing is risking and threatening my/ your life, with zero ramifications. not a fan.

Describing what giving all of our info over to actors with already proven bad intentions, as yet another "unintended consequence" that the left (DC as a whole), is out the window?
OH, I know, after 30 pages of bullspit, talking past each other, when it finally comes up and there are 3,000 unknown FISA warrants, untold # of EX high level swamp executives approve of under other swamp pressures, would be better.
Then count me as a glass breaker.
FWIW, using our tech to help is a good thing. The people who control our tech are not your friend and they have proven it over and over again. So go fix those people to have me/ you as their personal responsibility, as in their lives depend on it, and then we can talk. Until then, all they are doing is risking and threatening my/ your life, with zero ramifications. not a fan.
If you only excluded the word “left” in that post, it wouldn’t be political.

But hey, at least no one has dropped the B or T words yet!

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
If you only excluded the word “left” in that post, it wouldn’t be political.

But hey, at least no one has dropped the B or T words yet!
Point taken, but who's pushing the limits on the crap right now? I'm not talking always, and added DC as a whole.
I hope everyone is starting to learn, that I am not happy with either side, VERY not happy.
Yea I'm MAGA... kinda. We've let our monster control us, and notice that I did not say left monster.
Very upset voter. But I do know that it takes time to fix what WE have allowed to happen.
I think our founding fathers feared this.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT