ADVERTISEMENT

A message to our non-subscribers

Jim Coyle

Publisher
Feb 28, 2020
Bloomington, IN
thhehoosier.com
We appreciate everyone, especially our subscribers who support theHoosier.com allowing new, daily content.. For those of you that are not currently supporting the site I will bluntly ask that you begin doing so. Rivals recently made some revolutionary changes to the site that over time will be seen as an improvement and a way of providing a better experience overall. If someone seriously cannot afford the $10/month (.27 cents a day) that a subscription costs, then I understand. Most of you can easily afford the $10 a month, but choose not to be a subscriber for whatever reason. You want more? We are trying to give more. But we need your support to edo that.

But if you are not in that boat there is no reason for not being a subscriber. If you think for one second I, or anyone is getting rich here, well that would be astronomically inaccurate. We only want to be able to provide as much and the most content as possible and try to do just that every day. Everything we do to accomplish that cost money. Staff, payroll, traveling to events, equipment, and on and on. We strive to improve every day and to be better every day. We would like to add some things that we think would add to your experience.

A while back we added a writer to specifically cover IU football recruiting. We will have a football Post-Game show this season and a few other things as well. Some other additions that are coming in the immediate future are basketball related. A basketball analyst for the Premium Forum page. This role will see readers have the opportunity to talk IU hoops in a deeper manner. Game strategy, game results, individual performances, coaching, etc. Separate from that have a new writer who will be focusing solely on basketball recruiting. There will also be more Premium content and less "free" content.

Personally, I would like to see the "free" boards go away. They do not benefit us, but equally bring issues we have to deal with. We are a subscriber based site, not a "click-based" one. I know there are tons of you that float on the "free" boards, but TH.com needs your patronage as a subscriber. If you are a subscriber, thank you! Encourage non-subs to come aboard. I can only ask that you BECOME A SUBSCRIBER today. Seriously, it's .27 cents a day.

Thank you!

I totally understand where you're coming from with this. I probably encapsulate what you're talking about. I have been around for nearly 25 years with the first 15 as a subscriber. Through no fault of your own, external factors like flimsy verbals, the transfer portal, and social media have made the recruiting content far less interesting to me. I believe that you're probably making a wise choice by leaning into analysis and content related to the current roster. Hopefully, this staff is more forthcoming with information than CTA.

We appreciate everyone, especially our subscribers who support theHoosier.com allowing new, daily content.. For those of you that are not currently supporting the site I will bluntly ask that you begin doing so. Rivals recently made some revolutionary changes to the site that over time will be seen as an improvement and a way of providing a better experience overall. If someone seriously cannot afford the $10/month (.27 cents a day) that a subscription costs, then I understand. Most of you can easily afford the $10 a month, but choose not to be a subscriber for whatever reason. You want more? We are trying to give more. But we need your support to edo that.

But if you are not in that boat there is no reason for not being a subscriber. If you think for one second I, or anyone is getting rich here, well that would be astronomically inaccurate. We only want to be able to provide as much and the most content as possible and try to do just that every day. Everything we do to accomplish that cost money. Staff, payroll, traveling to events, equipment, and on and on. We strive to improve every day and to be better every day. We would like to add some things that we think would add to your experience.

A while back we added a writer to specifically cover IU football recruiting. We will have a football Post-Game show this season and a few other things as well. Some other additions that are coming in the immediate future are basketball related. A basketball analyst for the Premium Forum page. This role will see readers have the opportunity to talk IU hoops in a deeper manner. Game strategy, game results, individual performances, coaching, etc. Separate from that have a new writer who will be focusing solely on basketball recruiting. There will also be more Premium content and less "free" content.

Personally, I would like to see the "free" boards go away. They do not benefit us, but equally bring issues we have to deal with. We are a subscriber based site, not a "click-based" one. I know there are tons of you that float on the "free" boards, but TH.com needs your patronage as a subscriber. If you are a subscriber, thank you! Encourage non-subs to come aboard. I can only ask that you BECOME A SUBSCRIBER today. Seriously, it's .27 cents a day.

Thank you!
You make it sound like Rivals is having financial difficulties. Maybe we should hold a telethon.

Jim, I do appreciate you explaining the site in a bit more details. I've been here for a few years and tried the paid option for a month last year. I cancelled only because I didn't find the information on the premium side to be any different than the free side of it. I never really understood the whole structure of the site. Knowing now how this works, I have no problem paying for the subscription to support the channel.

Thank you!
Curious why you don't make some of the other forum sites, pay sites too.

Thank you!
I recently resubscribed. My issue was that I got more recruiting coverage relative to football on the free board than was available through your site. You indicate that a specific person was hired to cover football, yet there was little football coverage. Going forward I hope what you say is true and there will be more football coverage. I gave up on IU basketball years ago. I understand costs and process to succeed, but without content, why pay for something that does not exist.

Hi Jim:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I've been around when this all started from a print rag.
I like the site in its current state. Enjoy the banter, and like many I subscribed to start.
When I renewed my subscription and Peegs jumped one month later, I lost trust in the site.
Maybe you could try sharing a few paid stories on the free site to show people the value.
Thinking out loud.
Good luck
Respectfully, Mobile

Hi Jim:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I've been around when this all started from a print rag.
I like the site in its current state. Enjoy the banter, and like many I subscribed to start.
When I renewed my subscription and Peegs jumped one month later, I lost trust in the site.
Maybe you could try sharing a few paid stories on the free site to show people the value.
Thinking out loud.
Good luck
Respectfully, Mobile
Same. Started hanging here in the 90’s.

Thanks for your plea or pitch that would do great things for the longevity of the site. I pay and have paid for more years than I can count. That said, it is hard to sympathize when Rivals begged for input on issues and frankly gave lip service without change.

For the heck of it, create a pay account and then go and try canceling. It doesn’t take long to figure out how Rivals views its customers. I hope they treat the employees better.

The best thing you can do is shut down the cesspool on the water cooler and stop giving people/customers the ability to censor or ban paying clients. That’s a joke. They promised changes there but again, lip service. It seems ridiculous to have a sports site that also coddles a certain group so obviously and gives them authority to effect their paid experience.

CLOSE THE DAMN THING and much of your vitriol will disappear from the site. It’s like having a website that sells Aged Steaks and has forums for cooking tips then also hosting on the same site forums for vegetarians on how to collapse the beef industry. I would question buying beef from that company because the only thing that makes sense is they support the elimination. Can you hear me? Is this thing on? You may be sincere in your request but Rivals sure hasn’t done anything to make me feel they are here mainly for sports.

This is nothing new. You hear it all the time. I guess they are okay having half the paying people have their funds used to support an area of a website that flat out insults, offends, and derides the other half of the members… unless Rivals is like ESPN and hasn’t slept in 20 years.

Please explain what the purpose of those forums are and why it is important for Rivals to keep them? I’ll wait for a response but it will never come. Silence is what I expect and bet will continue.

I like you and your writing. But your employer and forum to print doesn’t have my support until things change. You are lucky that the alternative is far behind in development.

I do wish you the best. But wouldn’t take a ticket on your ship if my life depended on it. Find another employer and move on.

I totally understand where you're coming from with this. I probably encapsulate what you're talking about. I have been around for nearly 25 years with the first 15 as a subscriber. Through no fault of your own, external factors like flimsy verbals, the transfer portal, and social media have made the recruiting content far less interesting to me. I believe that you're probably making a wise choice by leaning into analysis and content related to the current roster. Hopefully, this staff is more forthcoming with information than CTA.
We appreciate your previous patronage then would greatly appreciate it if you would return. And yeah it's not about just recruiting information it's across the board today but it's also providing a unique place for people to go like yourself. So that's how I hope that you can view it and see the value.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I recently resubscribed. My issue was that I got more recruiting coverage relative to football on the free board than was available through your site. You indicate that a specific person was hired to cover football, yet there was little football coverage. Going forward I hope what you say is true and there will be more football coverage. I gave up on IU basketball years ago. I understand costs and process to succeed, but without content, why pay for something that does not exist.
First I just want to thank you for being a subscriber, you are sincerely appreciated.
If you're only looking in the forums for content that's not where you're going to find it. It's on the front page and in the news columns. Wow this is the slowest time of the year (finally and thankfully), there are and have been football stories up every day. Hey Google updated rosters, commitments, visits, all of that information can be found on the site as well.

I don't know that I did that because that would not be accurate. I hope that I got the message across that was intended. Your subscription would be greatly appreciated.
I was a dues paying member for years until it got to the point where I could get as much information on the free site. So what was I paying for? Thats when i canceled.

The best thing you can do is shut down the cesspool on the water cooler and stop giving people/customers the ability to censor or ban paying clients. That’s a joke. They promised changes there but again, lip service. It seems ridiculous to have a sports site that also coddles a certain group so obviously and gives them authority to effect their paid experience.

The Water Cooler is an acquired taste and is not for everybody. It can be fun, informative, and infuriating, usually all at the same time. Regardless, it's cheap entertainment. Jim shamed me into subscribing a year or more ago. I'm happy to continue and would encourage others to also. No one says you have to participate in the oddball forums.

In the Cooler, if you behave yourself you won't have any problems. No one is banned or "censored" based on point of view or opinion. But if you insist on being totally uncivil then yes, steps will be taken.

First I just want to thank you for being a subscriber, you are sincerely appreciated.
If you're only looking in the forums for content that's not where you're going to find it. It's on the front page and in the news columns. Wow this is the slowest time of the year (finally and thankfully), there are and have been football stories up every day. Hey Google updated rosters, commitments, visits, all of that information can be found on the site as well.

Just a quick suggestion, but why not have the contributors link their articles to the boards so people know they are there?

For me personally, I use the app, which takes me to the boards, so I'm never on the front page. Would make things a lot easier on the user if we didn't have to go look for the content.

Just a quick suggestion, but why not have the contributors link their articles to the boards so people know they are there?

For me personally, I use the app, which takes me to the boards, so I'm never on the front page. Would make things a lot easier on the user if we didn't have to go look for the content.
Also Jim, the front page is broken in Firefox. I'm sure they tested it with Chrome and Edge and Safari, but the rest of us are left hanging.

The Water Cooler is an acquired taste and is not for everybody. It can be fun, informative, and infuriating, usually all at the same time. Regardless, it's cheap entertainment. Jim shamed me into subscribing a year or more ago. I'm happy to continue and would encourage others to also. No one says you have to participate in the oddball forums.

In the Cooler, if you behave yourself you won't have any problems. No one is banned or "censored" based on point of view or opinion. But if you insist on being totally uncivil then yes, steps will be taken.
Not surprised by your “interpretation” of the Cooler. I don’t agree with your assessment but opinions vary. Being who you bed with on there not surprised. It’s the same cabal of people from 10 years or more ago still pulling the strings with the site’s permission and subtle nod.

I personally hate it and think it is bad for everything about this site. But that’s me.

Not surprised by your “interpretation” of the Cooler. I don’t agree with your assessment but opinions vary. Being who you bed with on there not surprised. It’s the same cabal of people from 10 years or more ago still pulling the strings with the site’s permission and subtle nod.

I personally hate it and think it is bad for everything about this site. But that’s me.

Fair enough. Don't participate then. I suspect the vast majority of people who frequent this site don't even know the Cooler exists. Using it as an excuse to not subscribe is disingenuous, at best.

Fair enough. Don't participate then. I suspect the vast majority of people who frequent this site don't even know the Cooler exists. Using it as an excuse to not subscribe is disingenuous, at best.

Being someone relatively new to the cooler in terms of longevity, there are some that take it way to seriously and then there are some that treat it as a hangout to bullshit and joke around.

I'm (generally) in the later and for the most part enjoy the interaction over there, even from the opposite side. I think it's good to hear differing opinions... occasionally someone will bring something up that I hadn't thought of before.

Sometimes there's to much personal shots, which isn't cool, but for the most part, I find myself on the cooler more then any other board.

I was a dues paying member for years until it got to the point where I could get as much information on the free site. So what was I paying for? Thats when i canceled.
Because you are a frequent user and the site does not run on air. This site provides you a place to come to discuss IU athletics, to learn information from us or other posters. It does not matter what each individual likes. We have to provide the whole package because different people like and want different things. But we need the support of all of those that use the site for its viability.

Reactions: red hornet
I have no control over that, it is a Rivals network design. Every Rivals outlet looks the same as far as design. But, trust me, if I had that option it would have already been done. Hopefully we can have you as a subscriber.
Do you have the ability to change or delete sites on the IU forum ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT