ADVERTISEMENT

A kick return suggestion

TMFT

All-Big Ten
Nov 4, 2019
The tv broadcast doesn’t necessarily do it justice, but Wiscy was pinching HARD on their kickoffs. Not good lane discipline.

On the opening kick, Jaylin could’ve veered left and housed it by beating one guy taking a bad angle. Go figures, the one time he decides to run north/south.

Anyway, Wiscy kept doing it all game.

If IU sees that again and doesn’t have a reverse in their playbook, it’s malpractice.

Reactions: DANC and midwolfe
The tv broadcast doesn’t necessarily do it justice, but Wiscy was pinching HARD on their kickoffs. Not good lane discipline.

On the opening kick, Jaylin could’ve veered left and housed it by beating one guy taking a bad angle. Go figures, the one time he decides to run north/south.

If IU sees that again and doesn’t have a reverse in their playbook, it’s malpractice.
Everybody squeezes the returner or pinches as you call it.

Yeah, they crashed really hard…. Definitely an opportunity was there to take advantage of.

Reactions: DANC and vesuvius13
None of the suggestion works if you can't seal off the end of the players squeezing the return. Blocking isn't great from that team so I don't see them sealing off or kicking out the end player. Coach Teegardin isn't do a very good job with ST and it may be due to split duties for him. I don't know if we get a change on those teams as coach T has been there for a few years.

Last edited:
Reactions: midwolfe
None of the suggestion works if you can't seal off the end of the players squeezing the return. Blocking isn't great from that team so I don't see them sealing off or kicking out the end player. Coach Teegardin isn't do a very good job with ST and it may be due to split duties for him. I don't know if we get a change on those teams as coach T is coach Allen's son in law.
Very true, but if Jaylin makes one guy miss, he’s off to the races. To your point, we probably got what we got.

Reactions: vesuvius13
None of the suggestion works if you can't seal off the end of the players squeezing the return. Blocking isn't great from that team so I don't see them sealing off or kicking out the end player. Coach Teegardin isn't do a very good job with ST and it may be due to split duties for him. I don't know if we get a change on those teams as coach T is coach Allen's son in law.
I don’t believe that Coach T is coach Allen’s son in law.

You’d need to watch the replay of the opening kick. Jaylin didn’t pick a bad lane or anything. But there was 1 guy unblocked (27) six yards away that was the only thing between him and a TD.
Ok so I don’t understand your point. The point was made that it appeared Wis lost their lane integrity by squeezing the returner I merely stated that is what cover guys should do.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Ok so I don’t understand your point. The point was made that it appeared Wis lost their lane integrity by squeezing the returner I merely stated that is what cover guys should do.
I’m just saying to watch it because I think they over did it to the point that Jaylin could have easily went to his left and scored.

And by over did it I mean that it’s possible to try to pin a kick to one side and squeeze in on the returner without coming down too hard and exposing a gap. Like a DE over running the play when they come across.

Reactions: DANC and vesuvius13
Say what?

So I have an observation which leads to questions. Does anyone else watch the punt return team? We put some pressure on the punter but rarely do we ever block anyone covering the punt. IU players just let them run downfield. We block the gunners but no one coming off the line. Do the coaches not see this or is this just something that is part of their scheme?

Thought the same thing, especially in the 2nd half.

My friend said "He needs to follow his blockers". Bullshit - he needs to go where they ain't.

You're right - the outside was WIDE open.

Reactions: midwolfe
Lucas has outstanding speed.
Average vision.
Needs more wiggle.
His decision making is painful to watch.
He just can't make himself pick a spot, make 1 cut and burn it NORTH.
I've started really focusing on our opponents RBs - like Rutger's and Wisconsin's (even though he's a backup). They get yards by making quick - and I mean QUICK - cuts. They follow their blockers and then, when the blockers get stopped, they make a quick move outside.

Lucas just keeps stringing out a play, thinking he's going to find an opening. He needs to create that opening, but he doesn't/can't. I just don't think he has RB instincts. And he's not big enough to break tackles.

Running him at RB is just fruitless, at this point.

I've started really focusing on our opponents RBs - like Rutger's and Wisconsin's (even though he's a backup). They get yards by making quick - and I mean QUICK - cuts. They follow their blockers and then, when the blockers get stopped, they make a quick move outside.

Lucas just keeps stringing out a play, thinking he's going to find an opening. He needs to create that opening, but he doesn't/can't. I just don't think he has RB instincts. And he's not big enough to break tackles.

Running him at RB is just fruitless, at this point.
It’s been fruitless all year. The Bell tolled primarily because he couldn’t figure that out.

Reactions: DANC
It’s been fruitless all year. The Bell tolled primarily because he couldn’t figure that out.
I still think a lot of that was Allen's idea because he really went all in on bringing Lucas back. I can't imagine the promises that were made.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT