ADVERTISEMENT

A good solid "depth" class

This class has a lot of size which is nice. You just have to trust the coaching staff is doing their job with player evaluation and not just going after body frames. Like CTA said during the press conference guys don't grow much taller after they get on campus.
There is a flip side to that though, and it is they better already have that "grit" that he wants his players to have.

I hope you're doing well. Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Doing well, IUC; at least holding my own and tolerating everything to date. Merry Christmas to you and blessings into the New Year. Thanks so much for your concern and others who have mentioned such for me (and my support group as well).

Go Hoosiers!

This class has a lot of size which is nice. You just have to trust the coaching staff is doing their job with player evaluation and not just going after body frames. Like CTA said during the press conference guys don't grow much taller after they get on campus.
There is a flip side to that though, and it is they better already have that "grit" that he wants his players to have.
I did notice the size also.
I would not have guessed that 18 year olds would all have reached final height. Definitely not final weight. I wonder how you figure out whom you can develop?

Doing well, IUC; at least holding my own and tolerating everything to date. Merry Christmas to you and blessings into the New Year. Thanks so much for your concern and others who have mentioned such for me (and my support group as well).

Go Hoosiers!
Snowling, all the work that you do on this board is greatly appreciated. Enjoy your holidays. Wishing you the best in 2020. Keep up the great work!

Guys don't mean to bust your bubble but a 46th ranked class with less than a 3 star rating isn't going to get you anywhere. You can talk development all you want, but when the other guy is starting with 4 star talent, you are behind to start with. You may hold up for a while, but in the end you can't sustain a program that will be more than a 6-6 or 7-5 team and that is if you play a weak OOC schedule. Shoot, we are 9th in the country and still only ranked 7th in our conference! We still have a shot at a couple of 4 stars and we have a QB who may get a bump to 5 star off his performance in the GA state playoffs and the high school bowl games played in Vegas and a WR from SC who will probably get bumped to a 4 star after his performance in the Shrine Bowl. I know Indiana is not a hotbed of football talent but surely your staff can get some guiys from neighboring states or even hit the Juco's. You may get some sleepers from FL, but trust me, if you get a kid out of FL and he did not have a commitable offer from Miami, UF, FSU, CFU or South Florida or the Powmer 5 schools bordering FL then you have a project and not ever coach in the Southeast will miss on a kid.

Reactions: jcg_94
A lot of truth sfvol - we’ve had a lot of bad years - some don’t put as much credibility in rankings as I do, we need to move up to 25-30 consistently to have shot at knocking off OSU,UM,PSU etc - similar challenge facing UT in your conference - we are working hard to overcome our history - I personally think we have the right man at the helm to give us that chance....you guys might take it for granted, but us now having success in football is really fun...

Guys don't mean to bust your bubble but a 46th ranked class with less than a 3 star rating isn't going to get you anywhere. You can talk development all you want, but when the other guy is starting with 4 star talent, you are behind to start with. You may hold up for a while, but in the end you can't sustain a program that will be more than a 6-6 or 7-5 team and that is if you play a weak OOC schedule. Shoot, we are 9th in the country and still only ranked 7th in our conference! We still have a shot at a couple of 4 stars and we have a QB who may get a bump to 5 star off his performance in the GA state playoffs and the high school bowl games played in Vegas and a WR from SC who will probably get bumped to a 4 star after his performance in the Shrine Bowl. I know Indiana is not a hotbed of football talent but surely your staff can get some guiys from neighboring states or even hit the Juco's. You may get some sleepers from FL, but trust me, if you get a kid out of FL and he did not have a commitable offer from Miami, UF, FSU, CFU or South Florida or the Powmer 5 schools bordering FL then you have a project and not ever coach in the Southeast will miss on a kid.
Let’s start with some guys we stole from you Mike Penix, Matthew Bedford, Cam Jones, Charles Campbell. Then of course you have James Miller who was the Hillsborough county defensive player of the year who had offers from all the Florida schools except Florida and the aforementioned Penix was the Hillsborough offensive player of the year. You have Tiawan Mullin who was an all-American. Gary Cooper who had offers from Florida and Michigan. About this class it may not have a ton of skill guys but it has several huge offensive linemen a transfer from who played at Stanford. The Indiana all timer leading rusher is a walk-on. A running back that was committed to Michigan. A 4 star wide receiver from Detroit. Oh and by the way I have seen my share of high school football in Tennessee and it is not great. I would teams in the MIC against anyone in the country. Finally I coached with 3 or 4 guys that coached in Tampa and they all say that Coach Tom Allen is widely respected by the high school coaches in the area from his time coaching high school football and at USF. So you can look at the class and make all the projections you want without understanding the program.

Let’s start with some guys we stole from you Mike Penix, Matthew Bedford, Cam Jones, Charles Campbell. Then of course you have James Miller who was the Hillsborough county defensive player of the year who had offers from all the Florida schools except Florida and the aforementioned Penix was the Hillsborough offensive player of the year. You have Tiawan Mullin who was an all-American. Gary Cooper who had offers from Florida and Michigan. About this class it may not have a ton of skill guys but it has several huge offensive linemen a transfer from who played at Stanford. The Indiana all timer leading rusher is a walk-on. A running back that was committed to Michigan. A 4 star wide receiver from Detroit. Oh and by the way I have seen my share of high school football in Tennessee and it is not great. I would teams in the MIC against anyone in the country. Finally I coached with 3 or 4 guys that coached in Tampa and they all say that Coach Tom Allen is widely respected by the high school coaches in the area from his time coaching high school football and at USF. So you can look at the class and make all the projections you want without understanding the program.
Bedford and Campbell never had offers from UT so you could not steal from us. And BTW, look at the Rivals 250 and see how many recruits are ranked from Tennessee in the top 250 and see how many 4 stars we had this year in the state. May be why all the SEC, the good teams in the ACC and Ohio State, Michigan and Notre Dame came to recruit now. With a growing economy and the influx of lots of new families, especially in middle Tennessee, the amount of nationally recruited players has blown up over the last 5 -7 years. While some of the talent is in the public school system, like most southern states, we have a lot of talent in the private and parochial schools.

FYI that Virginia team that Florida struggled with. The Florida team that beat you guys 34-3. We beat that Virginia team the last two years.
We played UF early in the year and were missing our best LB and DB. Not that was an excuse but since then we have played a lot better and our young players have come on strong. We played Alabama better than anyone but LSU and Auburn. And did it in Bryant - Denny Stadium. But tonight will tell the story. If you beat us, I will be the first to congratulate you, since you can't post on our board - will you do the same here?

Bedford and Campbell never had offers from UT so you could not steal from us. And BTW, look at the Rivals 250 and see how many recruits are ranked from Tennessee in the top 250 and see how many 4 stars we had this year in the state. May be why all the SEC, the good teams in the ACC and Ohio State, Michigan and Notre Dame came to recruit now. With a growing economy and the influx of lots of new families, especially in middle Tennessee, the amount of nationally recruited players has blown up over the last 5 -7 years. While some of the talent is in the public school system, like most southern states, we have a lot of talent in the private and parochial schools.
I will take3 stars from Florida all day over 4 and 5 stars from Indiana or Tennessee or Michigan. I have coached many kids that have gone to Miami, FSU, Virginia Tech, Minnesota, Tennessee ( Nick Jester and Lamar Brown he did not last but he did run on your 4x100 relay team as freshman before leaving school) Syracuse, Florida.We we’re fortunate to have good players yet none of them ever seemed to be rated higher than a 2 star. Two went on to be first round draft picks in the NFL. Several others got into the league and had ok careers. I have also coached against Glades Centrals, the Pahokees, the Dwyers, Elys, Deerfield Beach and the St Thomas Aquinas. All of these put players in the NFL. My nephew played high school football in Nashville I saw them play Hillsboro and I be Lieberman it was Whitehouse from Memphis. No I ever saw Brentwood or Lipscomb or some other powers but the teams l saw could compete very well in Palm Beach, Broward and Dade coutyz,

Reactions: red hornet
I will take3 stars from Florida all day over 4 and 5 stars from Indiana or Tennessee or Michigan. I have coached many kids that have gone to Miami, FSU, Virginia Tech, Minnesota, Tennessee ( Nick Jester and Lamar Brown he did not last but he did run on your 4x100 relay team as freshman before leaving school) Syracuse, Florida.We we’re fortunate to have good players yet none of them ever seemed to be rated higher than a 2 star. Two went on to be first round draft picks in the NFL. Several others got into the league and had ok careers. I have also coached against Glades Centrals, the Pahokees, the Dwyers, Elys, Deerfield Beach and the St Thomas Aquinas. All of these put players in the NFL. My nephew played high school football in Nashville I saw them play Hillsboro and I be Lieberman it was Whitehouse from Memphis. No I ever saw Brentwood or Lipscomb or some other powers but the teams l saw could compete very well in Palm Beach, Broward and Dade coutyz,

Would hate to have 3 stars from IN like Hendershot or Caleb Jones. Really can't believe we couldn't find 1 star FL kids to beat them out.

Reactions: JWilk1234
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT