ADVERTISEMENT

93.5 The Fan - The Crossroads Classic Shouldn’t Have to End

This combined with the weekend it’s held from a calendar perspective. Kansas, UK, and UCLA should be a Saturday situation.

IU doesn’t owe anyone anything and can schedule as they choose.

For anyone who’s ever attended the CRC, it’s 100% correct the event is not viable in Gainbridge or whatever the hell it’s called without IU. Purdue has a nice showing, Butler and ND are invisible.
Butler has always had the second largest crowd...well behind IU. That said, it has waned a bit the last three years as their team has waned and we will see tomorrow.

They are giving away tickets for this event on StubHub. Market has plummeted. No excuse not to go!
Anyone know when stubhub, other ticket sights shut down ticket sales for events? The day before, 4 hours before start, etc

Anyone know when stubhub, other ticket sights shut down ticket sales for events? The day before, 4 hours before start, etc
Right till game time. Normal sellers listings will expire 8 am tomorrow. Premium sellers till noon. Look for huge prices drops tonight.

OT...I know you deal mostly in commercial solar, but any thoughts on residential inground solar pool heaters? Hav a couple of rental homes in FL and the renters want heaters but I don't want to buy units they leave on blast all winter. I hear they are only marginally effective?
Honestly, I don’t know enough about residential to give you a good opinion.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
I hope they keep the CC and open it up to all the D1 schools in the state.

For example, Valpo plays Ball State at noon, ND can play Purdue at 3, ISU can play the Aces at 6 and Butler can play IUPUI at 9. Make it 2 sessions or 2 days or play 2 games at Gainbridge and 2 games at Hinkle.

I'm not sure how viable that would be from a financial standpoint, but I'd find it interesting.
Have a tourney!

Like I said, if IU chooses to schedule Butler or Notre Dame in the non conference, they now can. There was no point in continuing to fill the pockets of the other 3 programs in that event and giving them publicity they normally wouldn't get.

We automatically play an ACC opponent and play a Big East opponent 3 out of every 4 years. Adding in Kansas and an event like the Empire Classic each year makes for a great non conference schedule without playing any in state programs.
Great non conference schedule? Are you serious?

They may bring a little bit of a crowd but when the event started beating Butler was a pretty solid win. Now they are just kind of meh.

Butler appears meh so far this year and last, but 2 years ago this month they were ranked #16 when they beat PU. And a Phinisee prayer away from beating IU the year before. I’d say a “pretty solid win” more times than not.

it would be nice to pick up a game with an SEC opponent like UT, Bama, Arky or the Gators.
UK won't change with Cal there. but those teams provide challenging, but winnable, games and good prep for the season and tourney play.
Remember…UK fans say, “they don’t need us”.🙄

Butler appears meh so far this year and last, but 2 years ago this month they were ranked #16 when they beat PU. And a Phinisee prayer away from beating IU the year before. I’d say a “pretty solid win” more times than not.
Game was tied when Phinisee hit the prayer, so they weren't necessarily in line for the win.

Game was tied when Phinisee hit the prayer, so they weren't necessarily in line for the win.

This is true, who knows how the game would have turned out. But the point still stands that most years, even recently, BU is still a good win. Over the the life of the Crossroads Classic they’ve been to the tournament 5 times, winning at least one game and getting to the S16 once. The Covid year they were ranked and in line for a 4/5 seed.

Great non conference schedule? Are you serious?
Are YOU serious?

Acc, Big Yeast, KU, KY or UCLA, plus a preseason tourney like Champions Classic, Maui, Empire or CBS Sports classic makes for a damn solid pre conference.

BTW, your signature win got the shit kicked out of them by Creighton last night.

Stay as long as you wish or go back to GBI where laughable claims are celebrated.

We replaced the Crossroads with two games against Kansas.

If IU wants, they can still play Notre Dame and Butler in Non conference with a Home and Home. There is no reason to keep the Crossroads in the current format.
Well I’d guess there are an awful lot of IU alumni in Indianapolis- so if not Crossroads Classic, how about a return to the Hoosier Classic? I guess with rumors that I-69 might be complete to Bloomington- maybe timing isn’t horrible. But I also heard it was Notre Dame who wished to end the series.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
They got beat by 20+ yesterday. Regressing to the mean.

In this day and age, guessing gate receipts pale in comparison to national broadcast revenue - if that's the case, maybe IU should try and organize it's own 'invitational' or 'classic' with some of the perennial powers using Indy as the site. UCLA has been mentioned, maybe Alabama, Florida or Tennessee from the SEC and say Baylor or Oklahoma from the Big 12 - pretty sure ESPN/CBS/Fox would want a piece of that.

Largely indifferent but Butler and ND are decent Programs so why not? Know there's a sense that IU is doing all these other schools a favor by playing them in Indy and splitting the gate or some such, but do like IU playing in-state schools (as opposed to mighty out of state opponents like Jackson St./NIU). Since there are always going to be a few of those on the schedule, why not keep it in the larger Hoosier 'family'? Always thought an eight-Team draw that included the Crossroads Four plus IN St., Valparaiso, Ball State and Evansville would be neat.

Fire away.

it was cool. but time for a change.

it would be nice to pick up a game with an SEC opponent like UT, Bama, Arky or the Gators.
UK won't change with Cal there. but those teams provide challenging, but winnable, games and good prep for the season and tourney play.
Plus, SEC teams are generally going to be more athletic and get up and down the floor. I think that can present a challenge for us (and every B10 team, because we don't always see teams like that during the year in the B10 and can get you in the tourney. Of course we have to make the tourney first before we worry about the style of play we'll see...

In this day and age, guessing gate receipts pale in comparison to national broadcast revenue - if that's the case, maybe IU should try and organize it's own 'invitational' or 'classic' with some of the perennial powers using Indy as the site. UCLA has been mentioned, maybe Alabama, Florida or Tennessee from the SEC and say Baylor or Oklahoma from the Big 12 - pretty sure ESPN/CBS/Fox would want a piece of that.

Why would these programs schedule what amounts to a road game? That doesn't seem plausible. Just schedule more home and homes like we've done with Kansas.

Why would these programs schedule what amounts to a road game? That doesn't seem plausible. Just schedule more home and homes like we've done with Kansas.
Good point - they probably wouldn't unless maybe it was in Chicago. Was just just casting about for a way IU doesn't have to wait/hope for a spot to open up in one of the existing marquee 'invitationals'. To your point, home and homes are fine.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT