ADVERTISEMENT

93.5 The Fan - The Crossroads Classic Shouldn’t Have to End

rikki-tikka-tava

All-American
Jul 17, 2002

Largely indifferent but Butler and ND are decent Programs so why not? Know there's a sense that IU is doing all these other schools a favor by playing them in Indy and splitting the gate or some such, but do like IU playing in-state schools (as opposed to mighty out of state opponents like Jackson St./NIU). Since there are always going to be a few of those on the schedule, why not keep it in the larger Hoosier 'family'? Always thought an eight-Team draw that included the Crossroads Four plus IN St., Valparaiso, Ball State and Evansville would be neat.

Fire away.

Largely indifferent but Butler and ND are decent Programs so why not? Know there's a sense that IU is doing all these other schools a favor by playing them in Indy and splitting the gate or some such, but do like IU playing in-state schools (as opposed to mighty out of state opponents like Jackson St./NIU). Since there are always going to be a few of those on the schedule, why not keep it in the larger Hoosier 'family'? Always thought an eight-Team draw that included the Crossroads Four plus IN St., Valparaiso, Ball State and Evansville would be neat.

Fire away.
We replaced the Crossroads with two games against Kansas.

If IU wants, they can still play Notre Dame and Butler in Non conference with a Home and Home. There is no reason to keep the Crossroads in the current format.

So the two are directly related? Seems like there's plenty of 'replacement' opportunity...
Like I said, if IU chooses to schedule Butler or Notre Dame in the non conference, they now can. There was no point in continuing to fill the pockets of the other 3 programs in that event and giving them publicity they normally wouldn't get.

We automatically play an ACC opponent and play a Big East opponent 3 out of every 4 years. Adding in Kansas and an event like the Empire Classic each year makes for a great non conference schedule without playing any in state programs.

Like I said, if IU chooses to schedule Butler or Notre Dame in the non conference, they now can. There was no point in continuing to fill the pockets of the other 3 programs in that event and giving them publicity they normally wouldn't get.

We automatically play an ACC opponent and play a Big East opponent 3 out of every 4 years. Adding in Kansas and an event like the Empire Classic each year makes for a great non conference schedule without playing any in state programs.
I know what you said but you didn't answer the question. I asked if canceling the CC and scheduling KS were directly related as IU could have scheduled KS and continued the Classic. Don't really much care either way.

I happen to like IU playing in-state Programs, regardless of whether it's a part of the Crossroads - generally boosts IU's status and keeps the revenue in Indiana.

I am glad to see it go honestly. Butler does not have the same pull they used to (they have been regressing to the mean) and Notre Dame was a game we played fairly regularly before the Crossroads anyway and Notre Dame basketball fans are unicorns. That program doesn't sell here. Heck, when we used to play them at their place the IU crowd was usually competitive in size with their own.

The event would be better if you booted Notre Dame and Butler and invited Kentucky and Louisville if you wanted to keep something similar but have bigger names attached to it. Ball State and Indiana State are programs you have come to Bloomington to beat up on, not programs that you invite to a marquee event in the state's capitol IMO.

I know what you said but you didn't answer the question. I asked if canceling the CC and scheduling KS were directly related as IU could have scheduled KS and continued the Classic. Don't really much care either way.

I happen to like IU playing in-state Programs, regardless of whether it's a part of the Crossroads - generally boosts IU's status and keeps the revenue in Indiana.
I went on to explain that we already face two guaranteed games against the ACC and Big East each year. We also generally will be in some sort of preseason event (ie. Empire Classic next year). You can't schedule tough games for all 11 non con opponents.

How does playing in the Crossroads boost IU's status? If anything it brings it down. As for keeping the revenue in Indiana, WGAF. Screw the other 3 schools.

I hope they keep the CC and open it up to all the D1 schools in the state.

For example, Valpo plays Ball State at noon, ND can play Purdue at 3, ISU can play the Aces at 6 and Butler can play IUPUI at 9. Make it 2 sessions or 2 days or play 2 games at Gainbridge and 2 games at Hinkle.

I'm not sure how viable that would be from a financial standpoint, but I'd find it interesting.

I happen to like IU playing in-state Programs, regardless of whether it's a part of the Crossroads - generally boosts IU's status and keeps the revenue in Indiana
Playing instate schools doesn’t boost Indiana’s status. They are high risk, low reward games. You beat Butler or ND and everything thinks, meh, they should win that game. Lose and some people freak out and want everyone fired. Playing nationally televised games against Kansas, UK, UCLA, etc boosts Indiana’s status.

I went on to explain that we already face two guaranteed games against the ACC and Big East each year. We also generally will be in some sort of preseason event (ie. Empire Classic next year). You can't schedule tough games for all 11 non con opponents.

How does playing in the Crossroads boost IU's status? If anything it brings it down. As for keeping the revenue in Indiana, WGAF. Screw the other 3 schools.
"Explaining" the obvious doesn't win any points.

The question was simple enough - it's ok to say you don't know and be done with it. I am.

Glass should have shot this charity event in the head after the first contract was up and moved IU on to the Champions Classic.

The CC can continue...bring in Ball State and the event can move to a high school gym and live stream it. Or rotate it between campuses so the home team can help fill the place up.

IU can schedule Butler or ND in another slot instead of Merrimack.

I do feel for the downtown Indy bars and restaurants losing the IU crowd payday.

I hope they keep the CC and open it up to all the D1 schools in the state.

For example, Valpo plays Ball State at noon, ND can play Purdue at 3, ISU can play the Aces at 6 and Butler can play IUPUI at 9. Make it 2 sessions or 2 days or play 2 games at Gainbridge and 2 games at Hinkle.

I'm not sure how viable that would be from a financial standpoint, but I'd find it interesting.
It wouldn't be viable. The minute you remove IU from that event, it is DOA.

Glass should have shot this charity event in the head after the first contract was up and moved IU on to the Champions Classic.

The CC can continue...bring in Ball State and the event can move to a high school gym and live stream it. Or rotate it between campuses so the home team can help fill the place up.

IU can schedule Butler or ND in another slot instead of Merrimack.

I do feel for the downtown Indy bars and restaurants losing the IU crowd payday.
IU, Purdue…invite two non B10 power 5 teams to round it out.

Gonzaga would probably jump at the chance to play a Saturday national TV game on Indy. So would nearly any other team. Pick two, sign them for a two year deal, move on to the next two. IU v Gonzaga. Purdue v Baylor. Next year flip them. Then move on to UCLA and Texas. Or something like that.

Its hard to get mid major programs agree to come to your court and play. And Top programs generally dont want to do the 1 and 1 where they could lose to an ND at their place. The nuetral site makes sense, theres more hype around this event than just a single game. The alternative is playing a cupcake I suppose.

Its hard to get mid major programs agree to come to your court and play. And Top programs generally dont want to do the 1 and 1 where they could lose to an ND at their place. The nuetral site makes sense, theres more hype around this event than just a single game. The alternative is playing a cupcake I suppose.
Or we could just drop those 3 scrubs and get a home and home with Kansas.

I am glad to see it go honestly. Butler does not have the same pull they used to (they have been regressing to the mean) and Notre Dame was a game we played fairly regularly before the Crossroads anyway and Notre Dame basketball fans are unicorns. That program doesn't sell here. Heck, when we used to play them at their place the IU crowd was usually competitive in size with their own.

The event would be better if you booted Notre Dame and Butler and invited Kentucky and Louisville if you wanted to keep something similar but have bigger names attached to it. Ball State and Indiana State are programs you have come to Bloomington to beat up on, not programs that you invite to a marquee event in the state's capitol IMO.
Butler has always brought the second largest crowd to the CC. Past time for IU to flush this charity event.

Current deal runs through 2025, per ESPN press release.
That gives IU time to participate in other events until if/when it is renewed. IU was asked to participate initially but couldn't due to CC. Glass should have flushed it after the first contract.

That was post youth though. I hadn't dated Mary Jane for a few years and only ran into her once during that period.
She'll always welcome you back with open arms. Plus, in my experience, she's gotten better over the years! Especially enjoy her oral!

Reactions: hookyIU1990
She'll always welcome you back with open arms.
After trying to enhance/mask the wanting and dismal experience of secondary education, followed by a brief and empty interlude at IU, headed west and then north and ultimately to AK. Returned eight years later astride a 750 BMW with a clarity of purpose that permitted completion of a degree in but two years, during which time I foreswore everything but alcohol. That abeyance lasted 7 years until one day sitting in my SF garden with the neighborhood gang during one of their occasional partakings - always reflexively passed when it came around but a quizzical smirk from one of the revelers as if silently querying "What's your trip?" caused me to reconsider. One puff, and as a long-distant but familiar euphoria rolled over/through me I said aloud, "Baby baby why'd I ever leave?"

Not the love of my life but a reliable friend indeed.

Reactions: kkott
………
OT...I know you deal mostly in commercial solar, but any thoughts on residential inground solar pool heaters? Hav a couple of rental homes in FL and the renters want heaters but I don't want to buy units they leave on blast all winter. I hear they are only marginally effective?

Add in the fact that Woodson said today he'd like to play UK and UCLA, and its just not going to happen.
This combined with the weekend it’s held from a calendar perspective. Kansas, UK, and UCLA should be a Saturday situation.

IU doesn’t owe anyone anything and can schedule as they choose.

For anyone who’s ever attended the CRC, it’s 100% correct the event is not viable in Gainbridge or whatever the hell it’s called without IU. Purdue has a nice showing, Butler and ND are invisible.

IU doesn’t owe anyone anything and can schedule as they choose.
It was a few years ago, but I remember a selection committee member talking about strong SOS as a reason one team got a nod, while another was left out. He specifically mentioned the part of the schedule “that they controlled”. And I agree with that premise.

in other words, we play certain games because of our conference affiliation. Those games obviously include B10 games, but they may also include games outside of the conference, such as Syracuse and St John’s this year.

then there are games that we (IU) choose to schedule.

if the committee makes that distinction in the future (and they are a fickle bunch), I would most certainly feel better knowing we (IU) had risen to the challenge on the part of the schedule that we control and inked games with teams like KU, UCLA, etc.

We may end up with a decent SOS this year, but not because of who WE chose to play.

Reactions: SRIV94
it would be nice to pick up a game with an SEC opponent like UT, Bama, Arky or the Gators.
UK won't change with Cal there. but those teams provide challenging, but winnable, games and good prep for the season and tourney play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT