ADVERTISEMENT

3 star RB Ivory Winters commits

Glad to pick up a quality athlete. He played a stood up defensive end (edge) position at 6-1 210, and projects to be a linebacker or edge guy. On tape it looks like he has good vision for diagnosing plays and elite closing speed. He also has a division one body already. I could see him making an impact on special teams early.

Reactions: IUgradman
Glad to pick up a quality athlete. He played a stood up defensive end (edge) position at 6-1 210, and projects to be a linebacker or edge guy. On tape it looks like he has good vision for diagnosing plays and elite closing speed. He also has a division one body already. I could see him making an impact on special teams early.
Per the article on the front page, he’s committing here as a running back, but the staff also likes him in the slot.

Reactions: IUgradman
Delighted to have Mr. Winters join IU's program.

My parents and grandparents are from the bootheel, and I've spent a bit of time in Hayti (back in the late 1960s) and a few other of the small towns in the area, mostly Charleston, MO. Hayti is pretty small - about 2700 people - and what I remember most about my time there are (1) the most prevalent sound was the mourning doves cooing, all day long, and (2) the most entertainment I could find was the occasional backyard or driveway basketball game . . . and not many of those were to be found.

That said, this is an area that loves its sports. Otto Porter of the Washington Wizards is from about an hour north of Hayti, near a town called Sikeston. Sikeston is a metropolis compared to Hayti. Charleston is a school that plays Hayti in football, and occasionally you'll see high D1 prospect come out of Charleston. For example, Ricky Frazier, former UMissouri star and 1st round NBA draft pick (Bulls) came out of Charleston. For old timers, Charlie Babb, a safety with the Dolphins back when they were good (1972-79), came out of Charleston.

So Ivory might turn out to be the great player his high school coach believes he has the capability of being. Kudos to the staff for finding this guy out of a small town like Hayti. More kudos to come if they - and he - can take this kid a maximize his personal, academic and football potential.

Last edited:
Delighted to have Mr. Winters joint IU's program.

My parents and grandparents are from the bootheel, and I've spent a bit of time in Hayti (back in the late 1960s) and a few other of the small towns in the area, mostly Charleston, MO. Hayti is pretty small - about 2700 people - and what I remember most about my time there are (1) the most prevalent sound was the mourning doves cooing, all day long, and (2) the most entertainment I could find was the occasional backyard or driveway basketball game . . . and not many of those were to be found.

That said, this is an area that loves its sports. Otto Porter of the Washington Wizards is from about an hour north of Hayti, near a town called Sikeston. Sikeston is a metropolis compared to Hayti. Charleston is a school that plays Hayti in football, and occasionally you'll see high D1 prospect come out of Charleston. For example, Ricky Frazier, former UMissouri star and 1st round NBA draft pick (Bulls) came out of Charleston. For old timers, Charlie Babb, a safety with the Dolphins back when they were good (1972-79), came out of Charleston.

So Ivory might turn out to be the great player his high school coach believes he has the capability of being. Kudos to the staff for finding this guy out of a small town like Hayti. More kudos to come if they - and he - can take this kid a maximize his personal, academic and football potential.

[on edit] William Moore, former All-American safety at Mizzou and former Pro Bowler for the Falcons, is from Hayti.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT