ADVERTISEMENT

3-1 - All in all, not too bad.

This isn’t the Rutgers teams of the past. They can’t shoot. They have one shooter and he’s 35%.
They can’t score. D is their strength. They are a very poor team, that is very imbalanced. We can have scoring droughts against them and it’s not as devastating as it would be if they had any offensive “spurtability” .

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
This isn’t the Rutgers teams of the past. They can’t shoot. They have one shooter and he’s 35%.
Yeah. I'd put the odds of winning the Rutgers game at about 75%. They are truly bad this year. Winning helps a little. Losing hurts more. Losing that game means that stealing one of the PU / Ill games is needed.

The Minnesota game is the tougher game of the two. I'd still put the odds of winning at about 65%, but still a harder game than Rutgers.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
They can’t score. D is their strength. They are a very poor team, that is very imbalanced. We can have scoring droughts against them and it’s not as devastating as it would be if they had any offensive “spurtability” .
We have more players to throw at them too. X should draw some fouls.

Yeah. I'd put the odds of winning the Rutgers game at about 75%. They are truly bad this year. Winning helps a little. Losing hurts more. Losing that game means that stealing one of the PU / Ill games is needed.

The Minnesota game is the tougher game of the two. I'd still put the odds of winning at about 65%, but still a harder game than Rutgers.
These are the mid pack games a bubble team like us has to win. Having X back should help.

As an aged male, ego finds my
“spurtability” offensive, but not devastating.

How can you enjoy a win when you give up over 20 offensive rebounds and get out rebounded 49-27. I don't know how we won the game I'm glad we won but there are major red flags. Todd Leary pretty much explains how I feel.

Coyle came after me a little on twitter when I questioned Leary’s take that MM is the best shooter he’s ever seen. I still don’t understand how Leary can actually believe that.

Reactions: PhyloeBedoe
Coyle came after me a little on twitter when I questioned Leary’s take that MM is the best shooter he’s ever seen. I still don’t understand how Leary can actually believe that.
Never heard him say best he'd ever seen, but definitely said best since Jay Edwards. He does have a good looking shot, and obviously he's making FTs at an elite rate, plus his 3 pt shooting has come around. I still think even saying best since Jay Edwards (Eric Gordon?) was hyperbole, but Leary does know shooting, and as I said, I think he's the most insightful and non emotional guy doing post-games.

I think a lot of college basketball fans nationally, especially within the Big Ten, still hate IU for the ass that was Bob Knight and the success he had. Bitterness is a lingering taste. I like that, the lasting impression that was our HOF coach. To hate us is to care about us.
I also think IU grates on other B10 programs because of the support and # of network games and media attention we still get, even though we've not been good for a long time.

Thinking about IU shooters during and after Leary's time...

Pat Graham
Leary himself
Cheaney
Bailey
Evans
Guyton
Haston
Coverdale
Hornsby
Gordon
Hulls
Blackmon
Zeisloft
Roth
Romeo
Kopp

Probably missing a few...but its a decent overall list...

And then Leary had his own issues, so he probably didn't end up being around some of the guys on this list much at all.

Hard for me to envision MM being a better shooter than Pat Graham, or guys like Gordon or Hulls...but he has been fairly automatic from the free throw line, and when he's gotten open looks from the perimeter, he's hit them fairly regularly.

Sounds absurd, but probably isn't.

Reactions: Bucket Getter

Pat Graham
Leary himself
Cheaney
Bailey
Evans
Guyton
Haston
Coverdale
Hornsby
Gordon
Hulls
Blackmon
Zeisloft
Roth
Romeo
Kopp

And then Leary had his own issues, so he probably didn't end up being around some of the guys on this list much at all.

Hard for me to envision MM being a better shooter than Pat Graham, or guys like Gordon or Hulls...but he has been fairly automatic from the free throw line, and when he's gotten open looks from the perimeter, he's hit them fairly regularly.

Yeah, I think he was just trying to make a general statement that he's got a nice looking shot, which he does. Hard for me to imagine MM is going to beat almost anyone on that list in a game of HORSE. I think it was hyperbole, and now he's a bit stuck trying to defend it. But, it does give me some hope that he's going to improve as a shooter.

Pat Graham
Leary himself
Cheaney
Bailey
Evans
Guyton
Haston
Coverdale
Hornsby
Gordon
Hulls
Blackmon
Zeisloft
Roth
Romeo
Kopp

And he's just a Freshman. Would have to compare him to the guys on your list as freshmen.

Yeah, I think he was just trying to make a general statement that he's got a nice looking shot, which he does. Hard for me to imagine MM is going to beat almost anyone on that list in a game of HORSE. I think it was hyperbole, and now he's a bit stuck trying to defend it. But, it does give me some hope that he's going to improve as a shooter.
41% since dec 1st.

Maybe he's already improved and you just don't see it.

Now if he could play better defense and stay on the floor longer ... he could make more impact with his shooting.

41% since dec 1st.

Maybe he's already improved and you just don't see it.

Now if he could play better defense and stay on the floor longer ... he could make more impact with his shooting.
Don’t have much hope for him defensively. There was a possession in the OSU game where he was in helpside and completely turned his back to his man and lost him. Almost looked like he forgot he was on the floor. It’s pretty obvious that he was not expected to defend at any level whatsoever as a high school player considering that he’s completely clueless all the time. He was also matched up on Jamison Battle who is a good player, but also a one trick pony. He is a spot up shooter and MM guarded him like he’s never made a 3 before. It’s gonna become difficult for him to see the floor at some point.

Reactions: T.M.P.
"I think he is the best shooter Indiana has had come in since Jay Edwards....his stroke is that pure...if the speed of the game can slow down to where he's playing like a sophomore or junior...he's going to produce what people think he should produce...his stroke is legit, and is as pure as anyone I've seen since Jay Edwards."

Game hasn't slowed down enough for him yet.

His defense is still bad, but not nearly as bad as it was at the beginning of the season.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Don’t have much hope for him defensively. There was a possession in the OSU game where he was in helpside and completely turned his back to his man and lost him. Almost looked like he forgot he was on the floor. It’s pretty obvious that he was not expected to defend at any level whatsoever as a high school player considering that he’s completely clueless all the time. He was also matched up on Jamison Battle who is a good player, but also a one trick pony. He is a spot up shooter and MM guarded him like he’s never made a 3 before. It’s gonna become difficult for him to see the floor at some point.
Yea, his defensive awareness is severely lacking currently ... obviously still thinking, nothing is habit yet. Playing wing in Woody's system can't be easy though especially for a freshman.

"I think he is the best shooter Indiana has had come in since Jay Edwards....his stroke is that pure...if the speed of the game can slow down to where he's playing like a sophomore or junior...he's going to produce what people think he should produce...his stroke is legit, and is as pure as anyone I've seen since Jay Edwards."

His defense is still bad, but not nearly as bad as it was at the beginning of the season.
Thank you. I was starting to think I had dreamed up the exact words. I knew it was over-the-top strong though.

Not directed at you, but “pure as anyone I’ve seen” is not the same as “best I’ve ever seen.”

Pat Graham
Leary himself
Cheaney
Bailey
Evans
Guyton
Haston
Coverdale
Hornsby
Gordon
Hulls
Blackmon
Zeisloft
Roth
Romeo
Kopp

Mgbako is still getting comfortable with the college game. Patience is a virtual. Pass the soy sauce (low sodium), Grasshopper. Better things come for him, our way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT