ADVERTISEMENT

2024 4* Center Grove QB Tyler Cherry commits to Indiana Hoosiers

When is the last time we have had this kind of depth at QB? Not sure when we have even carried 5 scholarship QBs. Shouldn't have to worry about starting a walk-on or LB at QB.

My guess at the pecking order

1) Rourke (Experienced starter)
2) Cherry (A top rated HS recruit)
3) Jackson
4) Lowry
5) Mendoza

Barring injury, we will get a 1 year break from our annual QB battle more than likely. Next year I would think Cherry would be in the driver's seat with the others having outside shots. It would be a miracle though if we can keep all QBs happy though given they are kind of closely stacked in terms of eligibility.

Nice pickup. You can never have too many QBs with the hopes that at least one will be special.

On that note, who are the best QBs to come out of the state of Indiana in the last 10 years? I'm just curious as I can't think of many or any for that matter.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Best as far as ranking or best as far as actual production in college?

Most QBs out of Indiana have ended up being duds relative to their ranking.

Using Rivals

1) Hunter Johnson (2017)
2) James Banks (2002)
3) Gunner Kiel (2012)
4) Tayven Jackson (2022)
5) Donaven McCulley (2021)
6) Tyler Cherry (2023)
7) Clayton Richard (2003)
8) Marqueis Gray (2008)
9) Brady Allen (2022)
10) Brandon Peters (2016)

Apparently rivals had Jackson with a higher RR than Cherry.

Last edited:
Best as far as ranking or best as far as actual production in college?

Most QBs out of Indiana have ended up being duds relative to their ranking.

Using Rivals

1) Hunter Johnson (2017)
2) James Banks (2002)
3) Gunner Kiel (2012)
4) Tayven Jackson (2022)
5) Donaven McCulley (2021)
6) Tyler Cherry (2023)
7) Clayton Richard (2003)
8) Marqueis Gray (2008)
9) Brady Allen (2022)
10) Brandon Peters (2016)

Apparently rivals had Jackson with a higher RR than Cherry.
Production only. I recall most of the guys on your list from high school but as you pointed out, none of them have distinguished themselves in college. Obviously the jury is still out on Allen, Cherry and Jackson while McCulley is looking like the most successful thanks to a switch to receiver.

Hunter Johnson highlight at IU was when Jerome Johnson tossed him around like a rag doll and Fitz went nuts when no flag was thrown!! That was a fun day/night of tailgating and game under the lights in 2019.

James Banks had million dollar talent and a ten cent head. Imagine what kind of a distraction this guy had to have been to get major minutes his first 2 years at Tennessee only to have “Lord of Discipline” (TIC) Fullmer actually dismiss him?!?! Hep said
“No” to him around ‘05.

Kiel? Too dizzying to relive that recruitment.

Clayton Richard made the Big Leagues as a pitcher.

Did Brady Allen follow Brohm to U of L? Too lazy to look.

Hunter Johnson highlight at IU was when Jerome Johnson tossed him around like a rag doll and Fitz went nuts when no flag was thrown!! That was a fun day/night of tailgating and game under the lights in 2019.

James Banks had million dollar talent and a ten cent head. Imagine what kind of a distraction this guy had to have been to get major minutes his first 2 years at Tennessee only to have “Lord of Discipline” (TIC) Fullmer actually dismiss him?!?! Hep said
“No” to him around ‘05.

Kiel was the last time, probably forever, where I watched a verbal commitment play a game on television. When he changed his mind I decided not to bother again.

“No” to him around ‘05.

Brady Allen transferred to Louisville this past season.

It is interesting that we had been going 0 for the century on top in-state qbs. Then we have gotten the last 3

Reactions: red hornet
When is the last time we have had this kind of depth at QB? Not sure when we have even carried 5 scholarship QBs. Shouldn't have to worry about starting a walk-on or LB at QB.

My guess at the pecking order

1) Rourke (Experienced starter)
2) Cherry (A top rated HS recruit)
3) Jackson
4) Lowry
5) Mendoza

Barring injury, we will get a 1 year break from our annual QB battle more than likely. Next year I would think Cherry would be in the driver's seat with the others having outside shots. It would be a miracle though if we can keep all QBs happy though given they are kind of closely stacked in terms of eligibility.
I expect at least one QB to enter the portal after spring ball. Someone is going to feel out of the rotation for playing time. I fully expect some movement over the entire roster after spring ball with CCC at the helm.

I expect at least one QB to enter the portal after spring ball. Someone is going to feel out of the rotation for playing time. I fully expect some movement over the entire roster after spring ball with CCC at the helm.
I also liked C3's comment on Jackson. He wants to see what he can do with consistent qualified coaching.

I do to.

Wouldn't shock me but there is probably one 1 candidate for a transfer.

Unlikely
Jackson already used his one transfer (I don't think he gets another free transfer until he graduates)
Rourke just transferred (but not sure if there is a limit for graduate transfers)
Mendoza won't even be here until fall
Cherry just started but wilder things have happened

Hopefully unlikely
Lowry is the only 1 left. He is probably the most likely given that we just brought in 2 QBs with more eligibility left than him and he hasn't used his transfer.

Hopefully we can keep them all though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT