ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Projected Draft

Penix could win the Heisman and not go first round. His injury history is too significant of a red flag. Plus there remains concerns with his mechanics, his accuracy, and his arm strength (which seems to switch wildly between noodle arm Ramsey and Brett Favre). That being said, I remain in awe of his talent and I think he has a great shot at being an excellent pro, I hope he finds a great situation with a team that gives him the shot he deserves.

Penix could win the Heisman and not go first round. His injury history is too significant of a red flag. Plus there remains concerns with his mechanics, his accuracy, and his arm strength (which seems to switch wildly between noodle arm Ramsey and Brett Favre). That being said, I remain in awe of his talent and I think he has a great shot at being an excellent pro, I hope he finds a great situation with a team that gives him the shot he deserves.
For someone with his injury history, its amazing how calm he is in the pocket. I am certainly no professional QB scout but his arm strength and accuracy is a lethal combination. And the ball is always on a tight spiral. It didn't matter who was at receiver (last year withstanding), he made any receiver look really good.

Whether that computes to a first round pick or not would require he at least continue what he has done through 3 games all season long. Even then, that injury history is tough to completely discard for a 1st round pick.

For someone with his injury history, its amazing how calm he is in the pocket. I am certainly no professional QB scout but his arm strength and accuracy is a lethal combination. And the ball is always on a tight spiral. It didn't matter who was at receiver (last year withstanding), he made any receiver look really good.

Whether that computes to a first round pick or not would require he at least continue what he has done through 3 games all season long. Even then, that injury history is tough to completely discard for a 1st round pick.
Quit going by last season, Penix is back to being the way he was with a great OC/HC.

If you think his arm strength is a question mark then you've never really spent any serious time watching him play...

Mechanics issues maybe...; both his arm strength and his incredibly quick release are Elite level...

One of the problems our receivers had with him in "20" & "21" was that the ball got on them so hot that they couldn't hang onto it (partially a WR coaching issue which has fortunately resolved itself for the better)... That wasn't a lack of arm strength issue...

He might drop as far as the 3rd due to injury concerns but they'll be somebody out there willing to take a chance on his level of talent...

Last edited:
The problem with Mike is that he started rubbing his collarbone/clavicle late in the third quarter against MSU and reverted back to paranoid/anxious Mike and his throws were all over the map. More than a coach, he needs a sports psychiatrist. It's so fun watching and cheering for him, though!

Reactions: vesuvius13
The problem with Mike is that he started rubbing his collarbone/clavicle late in the third quarter against MSU and reverted back to paranoid/anxious Mike and his throws were all over the map. More than a coach, he needs a sports psychiatrist. It's so fun watching and cheering for him, though!
He actually was piled on somewhat late by a big M$U DT on his early attempt to run it in down at the goal line...

He most likely did aggravate that surgically repaired AC joint... He was fine after whatever they did to him at Halftime (a little painkiller action perhaps)...

Why they would Ever use him purposely in their run game is completely baffling... He's their meal ticket this year and could put Washington and that staff on top as media darlings... They may very well kill their Golden Goose if they keep running him...

A bigger question is how he responds to a facing a decent secondary... Something he has yet to encounter this Fall...

if he stays on the field all year, he's a definite 1st rounder. he's got that kind of arm talent. wish the colts could get him.
I don't think there's a chance he goes 1st round, just too many talented QBs that don't have his injury history. Any NFL team would certainly take Stroud, Young or even Levis over Penix. He has the natural arm talent, but with the value a first round pick holds, there's simply no way anyone risks their first rounder on a guy that has yet to make it through a single season healthy, the concerns around his ACL will unfortunately never go away.

I hope I'm wrong and I want him to make NFL money no matter what round he goes because he gave everything to this program for four years and I'm certain the Covid season magic Indiana had would not have happened with almost any other QB at the helm. But players fall well below what their true value is because of injuries in every draft and I don't see it changing next year.

Last edited:
If you think his arm strength is a question mark then you've never really spent any serious time watching him play...

Mechanics issues maybe...; both his arm strength and his incredibly quick release are Elite level...

One of the problems our receivers had with him in "20" & "21" was that the ball got on them so hot that they couldn't hang onto it (partially a WR coaching issue which has fortunately resolved itself for the better)... That wasn't a lack of arm strength issue...

He might drop as far as the 3rd due to injury concerns but they'll be somebody out there willing to take a chance on his level of talent...
I've watched an unhealthy amount of IU football lol. Framing it as arm strength probably was a mistake. Every now and then his mechanics completely break down and he throws an absolute duck, so as you're suggesting more of a mechanical issue.

He actually was piled on somewhat late by a big M$U DT on his early attempt to run it in down at the goal line...

He most likely did aggravate that surgically repaired AC joint... He was fine after whatever they did to him at Halftime (a little painkiller action perhaps)...

Why they would Ever use him purposely in their run game is completely baffling... He's their meal ticket this year and could put Washington and that staff on top as media darlings... They may very well kill their Golden Goose if they keep running him...

A bigger question is how he responds to a facing a decent secondary... Something he has yet to encounter this Fall...
Agree. Facing a good secondary will create problems for him. I am sure no one will want him to run, but instinctively sometimes he will, and he could be injured. Even without running, good coverage will create sacks, and he could be injured. Or, he could throw the ball away, but he does seem prone to throw very inopportune INTs, so good coverage and pressure could cause that. Just not a lot of good things will happen if he plays against good coverage DBs and LBs.

Reactions: 76-1
Penix has a day 1 arm but I can't see any NFL franchise gambling a first round pick on him given his injury history.

If he stays healthy all year and continues his current play I could potentially see him going late in day 2.

Arm strength? Dear god. accuracy? Look at his two years under Deboer. And the injuries he’s had are injuries a qb gets. They weren’t be cause he was fragile.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT