ADVERTISEMENT

2002 Illinois Game

bailey777

Hall of Famer
Nov 18, 2011
Watching old highlights now this was the best vs illinois when we made like 17 three vs Illinois. Gus johnson and Bill Raghtery on the call. The insane newton dunk is fun. He says you might call that newton's law! The crowd was on fire this whole game as loud as I have heard it.

1995 Nebraska football. Man that was a great year. Watching old highlights. Just dominating teams. The streak was alive and well. Just a great time.

Funny, with the lull in action (no weekend game), I was going to ask for suggestions on old games to watch.

Watching old highlights now this was the best vs illinois when we made like 17 three vs Illinois. Gus johnson and Bill Raghtery on the call. The insane newton dunk is fun. He says you might call that newton's law! The crowd was on fire this whole game as loud as I have heard it.
This reminded me of Ted Kitchel's greatest game as a Hoosier. It was against Illinois. I was thinking it was 17-17 but it was actually 18-18 free throws he made on his way to a 40 pt game. He has always been outspoken and it is probably what helped him land his sportscasting gig with Laskowski. This article, in part, appeared right after Archie Miller was announced as coach.

BLOOMINGTON -- Ted Kitchel has never been one to mince words when it comes to hiring new Indiana basketball coaches.

Kitchel, who starred on the 1981 Indiana national championship team, was the guy who became famous for his thoughts on the day of Kelvin Sampson’s hiring in 2006.

“It’s an absolute disgrace,’’ Kitchel said at the time. “I wouldn’t hire that guy to coach my fifth-grade girls team. That guy is absolutely what we don’t want at IU.’’

Eleven years later, Kitchel is unhappy again. This time, he’s not anti-Archie Miller as much as he is disappointed in the way the coaching search played out, specifically in terms of whether former IU players were given serious consideration in the process.

Kitchel doesn’t believe anyone was. He said several former players were given “obligatory interviews” to discuss the future and the direction of the program, but no one was actually interviewed for the position.

“I haven’t heard from a single ex-player who is happy about the way this was handled,’’ Kitchel said. “The athletic director told us that an Indiana guy would have a shot and that he would interview anyone who was interested. And that was a lie. He talked to Randy Wittman for 15 minutes, and the same was true with Mike Woodson. He didn’t talk with Steve Alford. I don’t think Dane Fife was given more than an obligatory interview either.’’

This reminded me of Ted Kitchel's greatest game as a Hoosier. It was against Illinois. I was thinking it was 17-17 but it was actually 18-18 free throws he made on his way to a 40 pt game. He has always been outspoken and it is probably what helped him land his sportscasting gig with Laskowski. This article, in part, appeared right after Archie Miller was announced as coach.

BLOOMINGTON -- Ted Kitchel has never been one to mince words when it comes to hiring new Indiana basketball coaches.

Kitchel, who starred on the 1981 Indiana national championship team, was the guy who became famous for his thoughts on the day of Kelvin Sampson’s hiring in 2006.

“It’s an absolute disgrace,’’ Kitchel said at the time. “I wouldn’t hire that guy to coach my fifth-grade girls team. That guy is absolutely what we don’t want at IU.’’

Eleven years later, Kitchel is unhappy again. This time, he’s not anti-Archie Miller as much as he is disappointed in the way the coaching search played out, specifically in terms of whether former IU players were given serious consideration in the process.

Kitchel doesn’t believe anyone was. He said several former players were given “obligatory interviews” to discuss the future and the direction of the program, but no one was actually interviewed for the position.

“I haven’t heard from a single ex-player who is happy about the way this was handled,’’ Kitchel said. “The athletic director told us that an Indiana guy would have a shot and that he would interview anyone who was interested. And that was a lie. He talked to Randy Wittman for 15 minutes, and the same was true with Mike Woodson. He didn’t talk with Steve Alford. I don’t think Dane Fife was given more than an obligatory interview either.’’
Well, one thing that is noticeable since Woody (IU alum) has been hired, many now assign blame to the players for team struggles whereas in the past it was all the coaches fault.

This was predictable by the way.

Reactions: bailey777
Well, one thing that is noticeable since Woody (IU alum) has been hired, many now assign blame to the players for team struggles whereas in the past it was all the coaches fault.

The all came out of the woodwork when woodson was hired. Joe hillman I remember especially who was 100% you had to have an iu guy to win here. He was on cloud nine. Well he got his iu guy so I will sit back and wait for the winning.

Can you imagine again if Woodson ever got fired. These guys would go insane.

The only difference since employing an IU alum as coach is they tend to have a longer grace period. With new hires it's always "wait until Coach____________ gets his own players because the last coach left him with worn retreads". Each successive season the new coach has more of his own players. About the fourth year is when the natives get restless as hopes aren't realized. Woody is no different. Being an alum though, he'll bow out graciously and pass the reigns to another one, perhaps Fife. Woody won't be milking us for millions like that little deadbeat weasel Miller did. Never steal from family.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT