ADVERTISEMENT

2-22/29-22 . . . 31 and 44 overall . . .

. . . so, according to the article linked below IU's record against O$U, Michigan, Penn State and MSU over the last 6 years has been 2-22, and against everybody else it's been 29-22. Hmmmmm . . . .

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...g-ten-east-preview-the-year-harbaugh-michigan
Life in the Big Ten East. My fervent prayer is that the next commish gets rid of the divisions.

Actually the most startling fact (at least for me) from the article is that we dropped from 25th to 75th (2017 to 2018) in Def S&P+ That's troubling, but hopefully not indicative of a trend. Even a modest defensive improvement would probably result in six wins, because I think the offense is going to be a scoring machine - - not at the level of '13 and '15, but much better than last year.

. . . so, according to the article linked below IU's record against O$U, Michigan, Penn State and MSU over the last 6 years has been 2-22, and against everybody else it's been 29-22. Hmmmmm . . . .

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...g-ten-east-preview-the-year-harbaugh-michigan
A deeper breakdown puts us at 17-6 in the non-conference and 12-15 against the rest of our B10 schedule. 9 of those 12 wins are against ILL, PU, and RU. This doesn't exactly demonstrate that the B10 East schedule is our only issue. I wish we could get past that excuse. One upset would get us to a bowl most years.

IU is close enough to those teams that they can knock off a couple of them each year if there is a little bit of improvement. That improvement could come from improved S&C, improved play at key positions, better play calling, etc. I like the moves coach Allen has made trying to bring about improvement to win close games.

A deeper breakdown puts us at 17-6 in the non-conference and 12-15 against the rest of our B10 schedule. 9 of those 12 wins are against ILL, PU, and RU. This doesn't exactly demonstrate that the B10 East schedule is our only issue. I wish we could get past that excuse. One upset would get us to a bowl most years.

IIRC in the last 6 seasons IU is 6-11 vs. the B1G West; 2 of the 6 wins were vs. Illinois with the other 4 vs. Purdue under Hazell. Against the rest of the B1G West in that time period I believe IU has an even worse overall record than it does vs. the East's "Big 4" (thanks to IU's one win vs. MSU).

add to that IU's record in bowl games during that span, and the only real areas of success are vs. an (often weak IMO) OOC schedule and vs. Rutgers and Maryland (IU being 1 game above .500 against each of those 2 schools).

So merely switching IU from the East to the West wouldn't automatically assure a substantial improvement in its conference record, at least not based on its actual record from the past 6 seasons.

Unless, in switching, IU could be guaranteed that it could stop playing the East's "Big 4" every year AND it could still keep playing Rutgers and Maryland every year--which ain't gonna happen.

Considering that we play 3-4 non-power 5 games per year, I’m not sure this says anything about the B10 east as much as it says something about our non-con schedule. Throw in Rutgers and the crappy Purdue teams for a few years and there ya go, there are our wins.

IIRC in the last 6 seasons IU is 6-11 vs. the B1G West; 2 of the 6 wins were vs. Illinois with the other 4 vs. Purdue under Hazell. Against the rest of the B1G West in that time period I believe IU has an even worse overall record than it does vs. the East's "Big 4" (thanks to IU's one win vs. MSU).

add to that IU's record in bowl games during that span, and the only real areas of success are vs. an (often weak IMO) OOC schedule and vs. Rutgers and Maryland (IU being 1 game above .500 against each of those 2 schools).

So merely switching IU from the East to the West wouldn't automatically assure a substantial improvement in its conference record, at least not based on its actual record from the past 6 seasons.

Unless, in switching, IU could be guaranteed that it could stop playing the East's "Big 4" every year AND it could still keep playing Rutgers and Maryland every year--which ain't gonna happen.

I have a solution (or two) that would slightly balance things out (in theory).

This would take a bit of serious gerrymandering but it's workable: Move Michigan State and Michigan to the West and flip pu and Illinois to the East...

You'd have to lock in the NW vs IL game, along with the Michigan vs Ohio $tate games but it's doable...

Life in the Big Ten East. My fervent prayer is that the next commish gets rid of the divisions.

Actually the most startling fact (at least for me) from the article is that we dropped from 25th to 75th (2017 to 2018) in Def S&P+ That's troubling, but hopefully not indicative of a trend. Even a modest defensive improvement would probably result in six wins, because I think the offense is going to be a scoring machine - - not at the level of '13 and '15, but much better than last year.
In 2017 the Hoosiers had two shut outs. One against a team that was a fill-in for Florida International and the other one was against a Rutgers team that did not bother to show up. I don’t mean to trivialize two shut outs. But the Hoosiers also gave up 42 or more points four times that season and lost all four games.

This would take a bit of serious gerrymandering but it's workable: Move Michigan State and Michigan to the West and flip pu and Illinois to the East...

You'd have to lock in the NW vs IL game, along with the Michigan vs Ohio $tate games but it's doable...
Wont happen. Michigan vs OSU is last game of the year and they would often end up playing the very next week in the conference championship game. That also creates a chance for them to knock each other out of the CFP twice in one year, which is reasonably likely.

Eliminate divisions. All problems solved.

IU’s record playing in the West wouldn’t be any better. This program has not shown it can beat Wisconsin, Iowa, Northwestern, Minnesota or even Purdue recently. IU went 0-3 against the West last season.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Wont happen. Michigan vs OSU is last game of the year and they would often end up playing the very next week in the conference championship game. That also creates a chance for them to knock each other out of the CFP twice in one year, which is reasonably likely.

I would dispute this, specifically using the word "often" - if that hypothetical scenario were true, there haven't been any seasons since the creation of the B1G Championship game where Michigan and Ohio State would have played at the end of the season and still ranked 1-2 for a rematch in the championship game. Further, Michigan and Ohio State actually were in opposite divisions from 2011-2013 and it didn't happen in any of those seasons either.

Rather than often, I would say that this is rather unlikely to ever happen. Even if it did happen occasionally, it would be huge for conference TV ratings and still place both teams in excellent bowls.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Considering that we play 3-4 non-power 5 games per year, I’m not sure this says anything about the B10 east as much as it says something about our non-con schedule. Throw in Rutgers and the crappy Purdue teams for a few years and there ya go, there are our wins.

Don't mean to pick nits but we play 9 conference games and 3 non conference games. The last 2 years the non conference games have included UVA. That puts the number of non power 5 games at 2. I get your point though, and we need to start winning some games against comparable teams. At least we haven't lost games against lesser foes since Allen took over as has been the case under the last several regimes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT