ADVERTISEMENT

1979 Holiday Bowl

Watching on Big10 right now, great game. Always loved Mike Harkrader and a few other old names besides good old Lee Corso
That was my junior year at IU and my roommate was a walk-on DB on that team. He didn't travel and didn't go to the Holiday Bowl obviously, but he is in the team picture.
Through him I knew several guys on that team. Lots of good dudes. I had a couple of education-major classes with Harkrader. He was really laid back and soft-spoken. Talking to him and looking at him you would never expect that he was so intense and violent on the football field. I watched the replay a couple of months back when BTN first aired it. It was a blast seeing guys I knew and remembering the fun of that season and that game.

Watching on Big10 right now, great game. Always loved Mike Harkrader and a few other old names besides good old Lee Corso
Ugh!! Will someone do me a favor & post on here when this game is next scheduled to air? If you notice? I cancelled my sports package a while back when I went on furlough, to cut expenses, JUST before they 1st showed this game, which I want to see as much an NAY game in our past. I'll add BTN again if I know this game is coming on....

Ugh!! Will someone do me a favor & post on here when this game is next scheduled to air? If you notice? I cancelled my sports package a while back when I went on furlough, to cut expenses, JUST before they 1st showed this game, which I want to see as much an NAY game in our past. I'll add BTN again if I know this game is coming on....
Sorry! Its a bad feed but I love that era and the big pads and Corso

Reactions: red hornet and DANC
That was my junior year at IU and my roommate was a walk-on DB on that team. He didn't travel and didn't go to the Holiday Bowl obviously, but he is in the team picture.
Through him I knew several guys on that team. Lots of good dudes. I had a couple of education-major classes with Harkrader. He was really laid back and soft-spoken. Talking to him and looking at him you would never expect that he was so intense and violent on the football field. I watched the replay a couple of months back when BTN first aired it. It was a blast seeing guys I knew and remembering the fun of that season and that game.
I was a kid and more listening to FB because of IU BB but that was a great year and Harkrader was a great player and also just had a name that stuck in your head some how?

Reactions: red hornet
I haven't checked but it might be on you tube.

Speaking of bowl games on YouTube, I watched the Gator Bowl again a couple nights ago. Not trying to find someone else to blame for our loss, but the umpire's performance at the end of the game was pretty odd. In addition to freezing (for no apparent reason) Justus before his last field goal attempt, some of his spotting of the ball between plays at the end of the game was very suspect. In particular, I'm thinking of Tennessee's final possession. On the third down run that came up short, the umpire appeared to overrule another referee's foot spot and give the runner an extra half yard and the first down. The play was reviewed and the ball was re-spotted a half yard short. Then before Tennessee stepped up to go for it on fourth down, the umpire (again, for no apparent reason) picked up the ball from its spot and placed it down about a foot closer to a first down. Again, not accusing the guy of costing us the game; it's just something I found odd.

Yes, that 3rd down spot was awful. Even from our vantage point live in the upper deck, it was clearly short. Couldn't believe where the guy on the field marked it. The icing of Justus was curious as well. IU had plenty of chances. Put the hands team out there after UT cut it to 6 with 5-6 minutes left and IU probably wins the game.

Yes, that 3rd down spot was awful. Even from our vantage point live in the upper deck, it was clearly short. Couldn't believe where the guy on the field marked it. The icing of Justus was curious as well. IU had plenty of chances. Put the hands team out there after UT cut it to 6 with 5-6 minutes left and IU probably wins the game.
Speaking of that last series of downs for Tennessee, I was impressed that the center got flagged for advancing the ball half a yard before the fourth down snap. It was clearly the correct call. But given the critical circumstances at that point in the game, it still was a kinda gutsy call by the official.

Of course, Pruitt didn't like it. He was betting the official wouldn't make the call. You could read his lips yelling at the official that it was a bullshit call, but that center had obviously been coached up on how to make that move and Pruitt and Tennessee got busted (and one would hope embarrassed) trying to pull a fast one.

Speaking of that last series of downs for Tennessee, I was impressed that the center got flagged for advancing the ball half a yard before the fourth down snap. It was clearly the correct call. But given the critical circumstances at that point in the game, it still was a kinda gutsy call by the official.

Of course, Pruitt didn't like it. He was betting the official wouldn't make the call. You could read his lips yelling at the official that it was a bullshit call, but that center had obviously been coached up on how to make that move and Pruitt and Tennessee got busted (and one would hope embarrassed) trying to pull a fast one.
UT plays in the SEC. You think a little thing like illegally advancing the ball is going to embarrass them?

Last edited:

Not calling you out, just expressing my opinion. I don't care when in the game or season a player commits a penalty, it should be called. I don't care if it is the first quarter of game 3 of the season against UConn or the fourth quarter of the national championship game, a penalty is a penalty.

Not calling you out, just expressing my opinion. I don't care when in the game or season a player commits a penalty, it should be called. I don't care if it is the first quarter of game 3 of the season against UConn or the fourth quarter of the national championship game, a penalty is a penalty.

Oh, I agree with you wholeheartedly: call it straight every time. I just wish everyone else agreed with you on this point. For example, on that fourth down violation, only the head linesman threw a flag. The line judge, who obviously had the same view but from the opposite side, did not.

Back in my hometown on summer break from IU many moons ago, I once called a third strike on a Little League batter when he had his arms extended over the plate and got hit in the wrist. The kid was in a lot of pain and his mother ran out on the field. She shot me a look like I was the devil.

This is one of the reasons I hate the NBA. Why do the referees have to look at who you are before they decide if it's a violation or a foul ? Not only that, the top players come to expect it.

NCAAF and NCAAMBB are bad about this as well - not so much with individual players as with top teams, especially in tight games. I can't count the number of times we've been hosed in tough situations on the football field vs. Michigan or MSU. And if you have to play Duke in the NCAAT, you better be 20 points better if you want to win.

I always thought MLB and the NFL were much better than the NBA for objectivity at the pro level, but of course in today's NFL there are rules for everybody else and "Patriot" rules. Curious to see if those rules continue to apply with Tom Brady gone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT