ADVERTISEMENT

151 days until the opener

Practically no chance. I don't think kids will be on campus and large gatherings will be banned. Maybe they can totally shelter in place entire football teams, and tests will be plentiful and cheap enough that they can test every day. Maybe they will play next spring?

Practically no chance. I don't think kids will be on campus and large gatherings will be banned. Maybe they can totally shelter in place entire football teams, and tests will be plentiful and cheap enough that they can test every day. Maybe they will play next spring?
That’s sorta my thoughts as well,you would think a decision will be made around the beginning of May.
Obviously there are more important things than football so I’m sure they will be very cautious when making that decision.
The old saying that you really don’t miss something til it’s gone is true.
Ready for the this madness to end so we can get back to normal.
Unfortunately I think we are in for a new normal when this does end.

I think they'll play. I also think stadium crowds will be greatly reduced.

The P5 Athletic Depts. need the TV revenue. The G5 & FCS schools need the payouts from P5 schools.

At the end of the day, I think they'll bring the teams back to campuses by mid-June and basically have everyone test on the way in, be self-isolated, and play to give the general population the sense that things are returning to normal.

It'll have to be draconian though, because if people start getting sick on any team, that'll be curtains for the season because they won't want to cause a 2nd wave of infections.

My biggest fear is that it does start to wane with summer heat and people get complacent and they open up big events too much. Because if it comes back in the fall like a seasonal illness, it would spread like wildfire by mid-November and they'd cancel mid-season, IMO.

My hope is we have the season as it usually is. This self isolation and shut down of businesses can't continue for too much longer. The risk don't require such extreme measures but do require some measures. There will be some restrictions needed, for example wearing mask like they do in Asia on a regular basis and checking temperatures of people wanting to enter the stadium. To get to this point the promising medications for treatment need to be approved and in use showing their effectiveness.

Many criticize any of us that accept reasonable risk [all of us do that in every day life by getting in cars, etc] but people are social beings and isolation isn't going to last no matter what the gov't says. Coming up with a rational way to reduce our risk from this virus while opening up society to reasonable levels is needed.

Our nurses, doctors, and others treating CV-19 patients need our prayers and the proper equipment to stay healthy and safe as they are exposed every hour of every day they are at work.

Here are the biggest concerns, IMO:

1. This thing is crazy contagious
2. Flu ALWAYS spikes in the fall/winter due to people congregating indoors, less humidity in the air, and school children intermingling
3. Flus mutate. That's why flu shots aren't 100%. There's no guarantee that recovering from COVID-19 this spring will provide immunity for next fall's strain.

* I am by no means an epedimiologist, but, as you might've imagined, I've had a lot of time to learn about this.

I would like to see conferences threaten not to play teams from any state that do not go into lockdown
So you are for totalitarian measures which this and shut down is; this attitude worries me more than the virus does. Cheeck out Sweden, Norway, S Korea, Iceland to find different measures to reduce the risk of this virus, total shut down is not needed.

Is it gonna happen? Thoughts?
I believe it could happen, but what I don't know is if fans will be allowed in. The problem with not having them play at all is, financially, it will bankrupt several athletic programs. I don't think it will bankrupt IU, but it will severely limit them in what they can do with other sports. And while I can certainly understand the need to protect, this country is driven by money and the love of it. If this virus slows, which is unknown at this point, but if it does, greed will win out most places over protection. That's probably a sobering statement and one that will definitely spark Opposition, but I will stick with that statement until proven wrong. It's not really my opinion, but based on the meetings I attend weekly, I'll be absolutely shocked if things are still completely stopped by September. Many State of Indiana top end political and business and academic folks want to be up and going by the beginning of June at the absolute latest and there's plenty of people telling them that's completely possible. We shall see if that happens.

Of course if you listen to the National media, you get a completely different picture painted, and if what they say is accurate (big if), we may not see high school, college or professional sports for another year plus and in a completely different version than before when it does return.

As for my opinion on the matter, I think it's too soon to know one way or another. I believe the next 8 weeks will be the deciding factor on the rest of 2020 for high school and college sports.

Here are the biggest concerns, IMO:

1. This thing is crazy contagious
2. Flu ALWAYS spikes in the fall/winter due to people congregating indoors, less humidity in the air, and school children intermingling
3. Flus mutate. That's why flu shots aren't 100%. There's no guarantee that recovering from COVID-19 this spring will provide immunity for next fall's strain.

* I am by no means an epedimiologist, but, as you might've imagined, I've had a lot of time to learn about this.
Based on what I hear in these meetings I attend for the State responding agencies in Indy, there's still lots of questions about whether COVID 19 was lab-made vs just occurring in the environment. If it's simply just occurring in the environment it'll lessen in strength considerably as we head toward middle Spring to Summer because that's what viruses do. They don't completely go away (you can still get the flu in June, July, etc) but the contagiousness is very much reduced. Now if this was indeed lab-made then who knows. We will simply learn as the seasons change and numbers increase/decrease. I can't really tell you what top end state epidemiologists have stated it does in a lab setting, but that's not always accurate either when you are dealing with so many factors within humans. As I stated earlier, the next 8 weeks will tell us a lot of what we need to know regarding this virus as well as whether there will be sports or simply a normalcy of life again anytime this year. If numbers continue to sky rocket over that period of time, college football is the least of our problems.

Based on what I hear in these meetings I attend for the State responding agencies in Indy, there's still lots of questions about whether COVID 19 was lab-made vs just occurring in the environment.
Lab made? Please tell me that's not getting serious discussion.

Reactions: muubell

Too early to tell.

IF's all over the place.

If they make headway on treatments ....

If they figure out why it hits some ahrd and others not at all ...

If they make progress on a vaccine ...

Then ....

I think the next phases will be "work safe" and "old and sick" stay in quarantine

And maybe we see some games

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
I think they'll play. I also think stadium crowds will be greatly reduced.

The P5 Athletic Depts. need the TV revenue. The G5 & FCS schools need the payouts from P5 schools.

At the end of the day, I think they'll bring the teams back to campuses by mid-June and basically have everyone test on the way in, be self-isolated, and play to give the general population the sense that things are returning to normal.

It'll have to be draconian though, because if people start getting sick on any team, that'll be curtains for the season because they won't want to cause a 2nd wave of infections.

My biggest fear is that it does start to wane with summer heat and people get complacent and they open up big events too much. Because if it comes back in the fall like a seasonal illness, it would spread like wildfire by mid-November and they'd cancel mid-season, IMO.
Lab made? Please tell me that's not getting serious discussion.

There is a secret lab in Area 51 and one of the monkeys escaped.

Reactions: red hornet
My friend who retired out of the FBI , and then worked in security for American companies in China said that Wuhan , where the virus started is where the Chinese government has its biochemical plant. Not saying it’s man made , but there are few coincidences. Sure hope we have football , as a season ticket holder for 20 years I’ve sat through a lot of IU loses. Now that we are turning the corner I really want to be there for a lot of Hoosier wins.

My friend who retired out of the FBI , and then worked in security for American companies in China said that Wuhan , where the virus started is where the Chinese government has its biochemical plant. Not saying it’s man made , but there are few coincidences. Sure hope we have football , as a season ticket holder for 20 years I’ve sat through a lot of IU loses. Now that we are turning the corner I really want to be there for a lot of Hoosier wins.

They have 2 bio-warfare research labs there. Supposedly one of them is within 300 yards of the "wet" market...

There is no chance that we will have a normal season and we may not have one for two more years. Fear of large crowds will trump Trump's wishes to resume, a lack of spring ball will prevent teams from being ready to play and a general uncertainty in the country will be present until everybody is convinced that a vaccine really kills the virus. And no, I would not play the games in empty stadiums.

I’m not placing more importance on playing football than the heath and safety of the players and fans.
Just curious as to the different takes on the situation,just wanted to make that clear.

I’m not placing more importance on playing football than the heath and safety of the players and fans.
Just curious as to the different takes on the situation,just wanted to make that clear.
we appear to be flattening the curve. i think it will depend on whether or not when we return to work we see the infections rise and by how much. i guess we'll also have to see if the summer heat and humidity has an impact and whether it's seasonal in nature. it would be a bummer to get all hyped up for sports in the fall only to induce a second wave.

Last edited:
Based on what I hear in these meetings I attend for the State responding agencies in Indy, there's still lots of questions about whether COVID 19 was lab-made vs just occurring in the environment. If it's simply just occurring in the environment it'll lessen in strength considerably as we head toward middle Spring to Summer because that's what viruses do. They don't completely go away (you can still get the flu in June, July, etc) but the contagiousness is very much reduced. Now if this was indeed lab-made then who knows. We will simply learn as the seasons change and numbers increase/decrease. I can't really tell you what top end state epidemiologists have stated it does in a lab setting, but that's not always accurate either when you are dealing with so many factors within humans. As I stated earlier, the next 8 weeks will tell us a lot of what we need to know regarding this virus as well as whether there will be sports or simply a normalcy of life again anytime this year. If numbers continue to sky rocket over that period of time, college football is the least of our problems.

It was determined weeks ago that it is not man made. The people bringing up these questions probably spend a lot of time conspiracy theory websites.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0820-9

It was determined weeks ago that it is not man made. The people bringing up these questions probably spend a lot of time conspiracy theory websites.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0820-9

I don't believe I've ever visited a "conspiracy site" but (the way I recall it) I heard (during TV interviews) said, on at least two occasions, from Gordon Chang [a China Expert] that it originated from one of those two labs in Wuhan and that the back story was that one of those lab workers became infected inside the lab while dissecting bats and then went to the wet market area for dinner and passed it on to the general population...

Chang wasn't saying that it was bioengineered, just that it originated with a lab worker... Seems quite plausible to me...

In my opinion, they weren't researching that bat blood for humanitarian purposes... We're just lucky they hadn't reached the bioengineered stage when it was accidentally released...

One thing should be clear from all of this: the government of Communist China is Not our friend...

One other thing, ask yourself why the Communist Chinese attempted to utilize a global disinformation campaign to get the gullible to believe that it was a US Army bio-attack on Wuhan that triggered all this crap...(Which is why the President went out of his way to call it the Chinese Virus)...

Russia has picked up that same lie and has run with it (although clumsily)...

If you're looking with disdain towards "conspiracy theories" look first towards the Communist Chinese government.

If the Chinese have ruined my football season, I’m going to call General Tso and open up a can of whoopass!!!

I don't believe I've ever visited a "conspiracy site" but (the way I recall it) I heard (during TV interviews) said, on at least two occasions, from Gordon Chang [a China Expert] that it originated from one of those two labs in Wuhan and that the back story was that one of those lab workers became infected inside the lab while dissecting bats and then went to the wet market area for dinner and passed it on to the general population...

Chang wasn't saying that it was bioengineered, just that it originated with a lab worker... Seems quite plausible to me...

In my opinion, they weren't researching that bat blood for humanitarian purposes... We're just lucky they hadn't reached the bioengineered stage when it was accidentally released...

One thing should be clear from all of this: the government of Communist China is Not our friend...

One other thing, ask yourself why the Communist Chinese attempted to utilize a global disinformation campaign to get the gullible to believe that it was a US Army bio-attack on Wuhan that triggered all this crap...(Which is why the President went out of his way to call it the Chinese Virus)...

Russia has picked up that same lie and has run with it (although clumsily)...

If you're looking with disdain towards "conspiracy theories" look first towards the Communist Chinese government.

What about the Deep State? QAnon?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/06/us/coronavirus-scientists-debate-origin-theories-invs/index.html

First no one said it was done "purposely".

Second you want conspiracy theories your link is a good one...

So I'm supposed to believe that a rare bat, from a single cave, hundreds of miles away..., was carted all the way up to Wuhan, slaughtered and eaten thus triggering COVID19; or even better, a Pangolin living within 50 miles of the same cave was captured and trucked hundreds of miles to that particular market... Sounds more like something dreamed up to protect a narrative to me (sort of like a "let's protect China theory")...

Here's an article that expands on what I heard on TV:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nationalreview.com/the-morning-jolt/all-signs-point-to-china/amp/

Listen, Epstein didn't kill himself, but this thread is dumb. If you're citing Gordon Chang would you kindly sundown in private.

Last edited:
Reactions: UncleMark
I saw a Pew survey that asked if the President was doing "an excellent job handling the COVID-19 crisis." The results were staggering by news source (these are close approximations...I'm not looking up the numbers again):

Fox News 63%
CBS 24%
ABC 17%
NBC 15%
BBC
MSNBC
NPR 2%
NYT 1%

I have no point here other than to illustrate how much your source of information skews your perception of the world. To be fair, many NYT readers probably were also influenced by losing friends/acquaintances or loved ones.

My general opinion is that I like my news to be corroborated by reputable news sources or peer-reviewed scientific journals, and that it be recognized and respected globally. I also prefer news to commentary. It's why I can't stand ESPN over the past decade because it used to be highlights and the games, and now it's just talking heads and self-promotion of ESPN personalities. It's almost impossible to gather facts through talking heads.

I saw a Pew survey that asked if the President was doing "an excellent job handling the COVID-19 crisis." The results were staggering by news source (these are close approximations...I'm not looking up the numbers again):

Fox News 63%
CBS 24%
ABC 17%
NBC 15%
BBC
MSNBC
NPR 2%
NYT 1%

I have no point here other than to illustrate how much your source of information skews your perception of the world. To be fair, many NYT readers probably were also influenced by losing friends/acquaintances or loved ones.

My general opinion is that I like my news to be corroborated by reputable news sources or peer-reviewed scientific journals, and that it be recognized and respected globally. I also prefer news to commentary. It's why I can't stand ESPN over the past decade because it used to be highlights and the games, and now it's just talking heads and self-promotion of ESPN personalities. It's almost impossible to gather facts through talking heads.

Almost as if someone set out to sow mistrust of American media, .... and succeeded.

And mistrust of American election processes ... and succeeded.

Who would want to do THAT?
And why?

I usually follow the money.
Sometimes the power.

Fox News 63%
CBS 24%
ABC 17%
NBC 15%
BBC
MSNBC
NPR 2%
NYT 1%

I am with you on going to sources and reputable scientific journals but even then it is necessary to have a jaded eye to the results and how they came to the conclusions. One thing that drives me crazy are when people say the science is settled when science is never settled because new inputs or concepts are developed that change the science to some extent. An example of this is Newtonian physics didn't get destroyed by Einstein's relativity, it didn't account for smaller particles and the influence of them. Einstein [along with Hilbert] instead created a new look at the universe to account for the differences in predicted results and the results themselves.

People need to look at facts, not what others say are facts, and think for themselves or continue to be led by others which may not be in your best interest.

Reactions: red hornet and 76-1
I am with you on going to sources and reputable scientific journals but even then it is necessary to have a jaded eye to the results and how they came to the conclusions. One thing that drives me crazy are when people say the science is settled when science is never settled because new inputs or concepts are developed that change the science to some extent. An example of this is Newtonian physics didn't get destroyed by Einstein's relativity, it didn't account for smaller particles and the influence of them. Einstein [along with Hilbert] instead created a new look at the universe to account for the differences in predicted results and the results themselves.

People need to look at facts, not what others say are facts, and think for themselves or continue to be led by others which may not be in your best interest.

Most media these days are nothing but willing propoganda puppets, feeding one side or the other the selective facts (at best) and slanted conclusions. Doesn't matter whether its football or coronavirus, "just the facts" are hard to come by.

Then put the "if you don't agree with me, you are immoral and stupid" icing on the propaganda cake, and you have today's political climate.

I miss the days when a Ronald Reagan and a Tip O'Neill would sit down, have a drink and solve a problem or make a budget.

But I also know it has been worse. The political temperature in the late 1700's, then the Civil War days, and even the Great Depression days, were similarly partisan. The Civil RIghts Movement, followed by the Sexual Revolution, Vietnam. Watergate and a good dose of drugs, lit the fuse of our current dichotomy.

Its why I now prefer football to politics.
At least in football, there is a scoreboard.
You can talk all the crap you want, but at the end of the game, you either won or lost, and you can't blame the other side for your shortcomings.

Fox News 63%
CBS 24%
ABC 17%
NBC 15%
BBC
MSNBC
NPR 2%
NYT 1%

All news has become more of an editorial piece these days than just a simple presentation of facts that let the reader ponder.

All news has become more of an editorial piece these days than just a simple presentation of facts that let the reader ponder.
I honestly don't think the problem is that news has become more editorial. You should look up the 1800s partisan press. Like, newspapers were openly supportive of particular parties/candidates. I mean, no pretense about it at all.

The problem with today's news, as I see it, is:

(1) the blurring of news & opinion. For example, most news divisions at least do a good-ish job of reporting the news. But the networks don't really advertise any distinction between their news & opinion divisions. So the 2 o'clock block on MSNBC or Fox News, or whatever, might be straight news while Morning Joe, Fox & Friends, Hannity, or Maddow are opinion shows.

(2) it's WAAAAAAYYYYY too easy to find information we agree with, no matter where we come down on an issue. You like Keynes? Gotcha. You like Supply-Side, you're covered. Hell, if you're a flat earther, there are plenty of skeptics out there trying to take down Big Globe. And since we have access to reinforce anything we think, we, as a country, don't have to challenge ourselves at all.

The real cherry on top is that we can self-reinforce whatever we think with opinionated talking heads that convince (purposefully or not) that those that disagree are a bunch of ignorant or evil knuckleheads, and here we are.

But sorry to stray from the topic. From thew news the last couple of days, it's looking more and more like the social distancing is working (or at least having an impact) and I think that bodes well for a 2020 season. I still think they're going to keep crowds down to mitigate future risk, but I'm bullish on getting the boys in by mid-June to start what's certain to be a miserable summer/fall camp. Could've really used that extra bye week this season.

Cute...

Sounds like you are one of those "I only believe what I hear from Rachel Madow" types...

Good Luck to you.

Back on Ignore you go.
Have you spent time moving me on and off ignore? It's sad that your frame of reference for political identity revolves around empty-calorie television. Madow is as bad as anyone. Assuming that I support any aspect of the corporate media machine suggests that you don't know where you would go to get your Wheaties even if you wanted to.

Gordon Chang's expertise is self-proclaimed as he has only one credential which is that he wrote a book on China that turned out to be totally wrong, predicting the Chinese government's collapse. He's predicted it would happen in 2006. Then again in 2011. Then again in 2012. Then again in 2016. Then again in 2017. His job is to drop the wild failed state takes, so don't be a sucker.

People half-joke that TV bookers, when they google him, confuse him with historian Gordon H. Chang who’s an actual foreign policy expert at Stanford who described being mixed up with Gordon Chang as "the bane of my life."

Most media these days are nothing but willing propoganda puppets, feeding one side or the other the selective facts (at best) and slanted conclusions. Doesn't matter whether its football or coronavirus, "just the facts" are hard to come by.

Then put the "if you don't agree with me, you are immoral and stupid" icing on the propaganda cake, and you have today's political climate.

I miss the days when a Ronald Reagan and a Tip O'Neill would sit down, have a drink and solve a problem or make a budget.

But I also know it has been worse. The political temperature in the late 1700's, then the Civil War days, and even the Great Depression days, were similarly partisan. The Civil RIghts Movement, followed by the Sexual Revolution, Vietnam. Watergate and a good dose of drugs, lit the fuse of our current dichotomy.

You can talk all the crap you want, but at the end of the game, you either won or lost, and you can't blame the other side for your shortcomings.
There's no such thing as just the facts. Everything is inherently ideological.

On these forums I wish it was always just sports talk.

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13

I've got to admit that I had you pegged wrong. When Indiana had Richard Lugar and Evan Bayh as senators, they both drove me nuts. One for hailing from the other party and the other for straddling too much. Looking back, I cannot imagine a state being blessed with two better statesmen at the same time. They put the country first, compromised to pass bills, but never compromised their principles or put party first. Unfortunately, as we saw with Lugar, you can't even win a primary election that way now. I just want us to all be on the same team again.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I honestly don't think the problem is that news has become more editorial. You should look up the 1800s partisan press. Like, newspapers were openly supportive of particular parties/candidates. I mean, no pretense about it at all.

The problem with today's news, as I see it, is:

(1) the blurring of news & opinion. For example, most news divisions at least do a good-ish job of reporting the news. But the networks don't really advertise any distinction between their news & opinion divisions. So the 2 o'clock block on MSNBC or Fox News, or whatever, might be straight news while Morning Joe, Fox & Friends, Hannity, or Maddow are opinion shows.

(2) it's WAAAAAAYYYYY too easy to find information we agree with, no matter where we come down on an issue. You like Keynes? Gotcha. You like Supply-Side, you're covered. Hell, if you're a flat earther, there are plenty of skeptics out there trying to take down Big Globe. And since we have access to reinforce anything we think, we, as a country, don't have to challenge ourselves at all.

The real cherry on top is that we can self-reinforce whatever we think with opinionated talking heads that convince (purposefully or not) that those that disagree are a bunch of ignorant or evil knuckleheads, and here we are.

But sorry to stray from the topic. From thew news the last couple of days, it's looking more and more like the social distancing is working (or at least having an impact) and I think that bodes well for a 2020 season. I still think they're going to keep crowds down to mitigate future risk, but I'm bullish on getting the boys in by mid-June to start what's certain to be a miserable summer/fall camp. Could've really used that extra bye week this season.

Yep - trust me that social distancing does work as I helped to roll out that very program at my employer, who is an essential business. The next thing coming soon will be mandatory wearing of masks in this country. Should be doing it already not on a voluntary basis.

Today's "opinion journalism" that dominates the prime time news channels is TV's version of talk radio. Rush pioneered it on a national scale; Hannity and Cuomo and Maddow are doing their versions of the same thing on TV.

That said, it's not their fault. They broadcast what sells. As you have said, the quaint notion of non-partisan media never really existed for any extended period. The gazettes of the 18th century and the Foxes and CNNs and MSNBCs of today are just giving their customers what they want.

CNN originally did try and go straight news all the time, until they found out it was cheaper to go with opinion based panel discussions, and it got better ratings, too. Remember CNN Headline News? Straight headline news, looped every 15 minutes. That's now HLN, showing infomercials and Forensic Files. Straight news didn't sell.

If there’s no football this Fall entire athletic departments will cease to exist. Isn’t that the reason Wisconsin told their Spring Seniors to hit the road? 4 million dollar deficit? At some point risk has to be taken. Because we can’t hide in our houses until a vaccine. The economy and society will eventually collapse.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT