ADVERTISEMENT

10% of you can hold C$' jock...

I'm hammered. I've been drinking 9+ % homebrew 'inspired' by FFF all day. And it is so delicious.

Last night put a Panzer Wolf up next to the IIPA I had brewed, and 3 out of 4 hardcore beer drinkers preferred mine...or maybe they were already drunk.

Who cares, better than giving FFF $13 for a 22oz bottle, if you are blessed enough for them to bestow it upon you. Faukers

Reactions: mike41703
I'm hammered. I've been drinking 9+ % homebrew 'inspired' by FFF all day. And it is so delicious.

Last night put a Panzer Wolf up next to the IIPA I had brewed, and 3 out of 4 hardcore beer drinkers preferred mine...or maybe they were already drunk.

Who cares, better than giving FFF $13 for a 22oz bottle, if you are blessed enough for them to bestow it upon you. Faukers
What's your time worth? Just curious....

What's your time worth? Just curious....

$100/hr. At least for my real work.

Brewing is fun. Like cooking, it's therapeutic.

And my beer is delicious. Fresh is the best for super hopped beers,...and I dump 8 oz per 5g min...sometimes more.

Last edited:
$100/hr. At least for my real work.

Brewing is fun. Like cooking, it's therapeutic.

And my beer is delicious. Fresh is the best for super hopped beers,...and I dump 8 oz per 5g min...sometimes more.
I understand. I was just arguing for arguing's sake....vbg.

I've been given beer kits as gifts over the years, and my justification for never taking them out of the box is that my time is too valuable, and that I'm willing to spend $5 on a pint, or $15 on a bomber, of beer made by someone who knows what the phack they're doing, as opposed to investing my time.

Or I'm just lazy.

I understand. I was just arguing for arguing's sake....vbg.

I've been given beer kits as gifts over the years, and my justification for never taking them out of the box is that my time is too valuable, and that I'm willing to spend $5 on a pint, or $15 on a bomber, of beer made by someone who knows what the phack they're doing, as opposed to investing my time.

Or I'm just lazy.

You're probably just lazy.

But really, saving money is not a good justification for brewing. You either enjoy the process or you don't. It will always be cheaper to buy better beer made by pros. Always.

You brew because your wife is nuts on PMS and you need a reason to spend 6 hours in the garage in the dead of winter.

Reactions: mike41703

But really, saving money is not a good justification for brewing. You either enjoy the process or you don't. It will always be cheaper to buy better beer made by pros. Always.

You brew because your wife is nuts on PMS and you need a reason to spend 6 hours in the garage in the dead of winter.

I'm not so sure about this....I can make 5 gal of a super hopped, 7.5% IPA, for about $30-35, less if I reuse yeast. That's 50, 12 oz beers.

I brew all grain and buy hops bulk, by the pound. Citra is the most expensive, at $25/lb, but a lot are less.

Ever craft beer that's decent in stores is $10/6 pack or more, sometimes a lot. That Panzer Wolf was $13+ tax for 22oz. And my IIPA was better, IMO.

Yes it takes a lot of time. It's 4 to 5 hours setup to cleanup in my method. But what the hell else am I going to do with a 7 month old at home and 20 degree weather?

I'm not so sure about this....I can make 5 gal of a super hopped, 7.5% IPA, for about $30, less if I reuse yeast. That's 50, 12 oz beers.

I brew all grain and buy hops bulk, by the pound. Citra is the most expensive, at $25/lb, but a lot are less.

Ever craft beer that's decent in stores is $10/6 pack or more, sometimes a lot. That Panzer Wolf was $13+ tax for 22oz. And my IIPA was better, IMO.

That's impressive bc APW is pretty good. It is pretty ridiculous at $13/bomber though.

I'm not so sure about this....I can make 5 gal of a super hopped, 7.5% IPA, for about $30, less if I reuse yeast. That's 50, 12 oz beers.

Hey now. I'm not your wife. Don't try that cents per pound of grain justification with me. ;-\

When I look around at all the equipment and whatnot that goes into it (beyond the ingredients for a single batch) I figure I could've bought controlling interest in FFF. Well, maybe not but you know what I mean.

Hey now. I'm not your wife. Don't try that cents per pound of grain justification with me. ;-\

When I look around at all the equipment and whatnot that goes into it (beyond the ingredients for a single batch) I figure I could've bought controlling interest in FFF. Well, maybe not but you know what I mean.

Haha...well that's true. Kegs and dispensing equipment has been most of my expenses to date. I have my eyes on fancier kettles, etc....but have held off.

It helps that all the extended family knows to only buy two types of Christmas gifts. Golf items or brewing equipment.

That's impressive bc APW is pretty good. It is pretty ridiculous at $13/bomber though.

Everyone has different tastes as to what they like. Mine was intended to be a Perm Funeral clone, but it ended up much cleaner and less malt backbone. Just a 9% crazy Citra hopped brew...way too easy to drink....I'm paying the price today.

Reactions: Foosier
Haha...well that's true. Kegs and dispensing equipment has been most of my expenses to date. I have my eyes on fancier kettles, etc....but have held off.

It helps that all the extended family knows to only buy two types of Christmas gifts. Golf items or brewing equipment.

You need this. Use that cost per pound for hops/grain as justification. I won't tell.

small_fermenator_-_7g_1_1.jpg

Reactions: twenty02

Maybe I should have said "rationalization" and not justification. I've always wanted to brew, but never start. I have a standing invite from the brewer at New Oberpfalz here in Griffith to spend a Monday brewing with them, which I might do here in the near future.

I was just trying to poke holes in 20-02's logic that it was cheaper for him to drink what he brewed. By his own admittance, he bills his time at $100 / hour, and for a 5 hour run, that's $500 bucks (opportunity cost, ya know) added on to the cost of his excellent citra hopped IPA.

But, I'll be the judge of whether his beer is good or not.....vbg.

Here's what you need - 18th Street posted this this morning - they are clearing out the brew system from the original Gary location. You can pick one up dirt cheap!

tumblr_o1inj7fwSt1u4n7tco1_540.jpg

Well, my basement isn't that big.

That 14.5 gallon Blichmann that I posted is only about $600 though. If my setup was different I'd be all about that. But I brew in the garage and ferment in the basement and there's no way I could move a 14.5 gallon stainless steel fermenter filled with beer down some stairs.

What I need is a free standing brewhouse out back with various temperature controlled chambers. I figure I could build one for under $10,000. I'll try that price per pound thing on the wife and explain how we'll save a fortune.

Well, my basement isn't that big.

That 14.5 gallon Blichmann that I posted is only about $600 though. If my setup was different I'd be all about that. But I brew in the garage and ferment in the basement and there's no way I could move a 14.5 gallon stainless steel fermenter filled with beer down some stairs.

What I need is a free standing brewhouse out back with various temperature controlled chambers. I figure I could build one for under $10,000. I'll try that price per pound thing on the wife and explain how we'll save a fortune.

Lol...yeah I'd like one of those bad boys, but not really sure how'd I make that work either. I only do 5g brews at this point, but really want to upgrade to 10g. From my thought it would be basically the same amount of time/work, but double the output. But some logistics would have to change. I also brew either garage or kitchen, and ferment in basement.

Here's what you need - 18th Street posted this this morning - they are clearing out the brew system from the original Gary location. You can pick one up dirt cheap!

tumblr_o1inj7fwSt1u4n7tco1_540.jpg
I once checked out a home brewing book from the library. I was considering picking up some equipment to give it a go.

The first chapter was all about cleaning. Sterilizing and cleaning. I didn't need to read any more and I've never purchased any home brewing equipment.

So is 18th Street completely clearing out of Gary? Moving to Hammond I think I read because the folks in Gary have no idea how fortunate they are to have anyone ever want to set up shop there?

Lol...yeah I'd like one of those bad boys, but not really sure how'd I make that work either. I only do 5g brews at this point, but really want to upgrade to 10g. From my thought it would be basically the same amount of time/work, but double the output. But some logistics would have to change. I also brew either garage or kitchen, and ferment in basement.

Think separate brewhouse with temp control, pumps, and an all electric brewing system. Don't skimp.

RayG.jpg

A guy who brews beer better than FFF and is an avid golfer. I think I may have a new best friend. Will trade golf for beer.

Reactions: twenty02
I once checked out a home brewing book from the library. I was considering picking up some equipment to give it a go.

The first chapter was all about cleaning. Sterilizing and cleaning. I didn't need to read any more and I've never purchased any home brewing equipment.

So is 18th Street completely clearing out of Gary? Moving to Hammond I think I read because the folks in Gary have no idea how fortunate they are to have anyone ever want to set up shop there?
No. Their plan is to move the Gary location to another building they bought just up the street in the same neck of the nape in Gary. Will have a small brewhouse, I believe, just for small batch stuff, with the majority being brewed at the Hammond facility. Hammond is supposed to open up any day now, I've heard.

Reactions: PtownHoosier
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT