ADVERTISEMENT

@ (1) Clemson 7:30 ESPNU

We wuz robbed, robbed I tell yuz. Just got back from Clemson. The ref was fine - good actually - until the last 6 minutes of the game . . . and then somebody must've reminded him of who signed his checks, or that he needed to get to his car to go home after the game . . . an IU guy was mugged just outside the box with about 6 minutes to go right in front of us . . . and the ref swallowed his whistle. Then IU's guy does the same thing to a Clemson player, also right in front of us, and the ref calls the foul. Robbed!!!!

IU played much better in the second half than they did in the first . . . IU won no contested balls in the air, but won maybe 70% of contested balls on the ground . . . we're just not very strong in the air compared to Clemson. I thought Clemson had a team quickness/speed advantage, too . . . except for a few Hoosiers, including Sarver. That kid is FAST.

Would not surprise me if this matchup is repeated in the tourney . . . .

BTW1, I don't think that Ben Yeagley played at all after he was subbed out in the first half.

BTW2 . . . Clemson's keeper was outstanding in response to what looked like relentless pressure from IU . . . .

BTW3, tickets were only $8, so I paid for two and gave one to a Clemson fan in line behind me. He said he was the goal keeper for the 1987 national championship team for Clemson in the national championship game . . . against IU. So I looked it up, and I'm thinking either he was confused, or I heard wrong, as the keeper for Clemson's 87 team recently died, and the 1987 team didn't play IU for the natty that year, but the 1984 national championship game really did . . . so I'm thinking that the guy may have been Shawn Cartmill, who was a walk-on from the ATL. Still way cool . . . must've been a harbinger for the way things would go in the match . . . that guy had a really good night . . . .

BTW4, the crowd for the match was announced at in excess of 6,000. Not a bad showing . . . but students had just arrived the weekend before, and football hadn't started yet.

BTW5 . . . Mike Noonan is Clemson's coach. I don't think there's any connection between Mike and IU's Pat Noonan . . . although Mike has a younger brother who won a natty at Duke in 1986.

Clemson is a nice spot, near a lake . . . I could see why it's a garden spot for college . . . although we were under a severe thunderstorm warning for much of the game, and it spit a little bit of rain during the game. Otherwise it was fine.

Clemson's Riggs Field was a really nice playing surface, and backs up onto Heisman Street. Apparently, Heisman coached at Clemson prior to coaching at GA Tech. Who knew?

Stayed at the Lakeside Lodge, not far from Campus . . . it was OK. If the door had shut and locked, the body wash full, and the bath sink drain stopper working, it would have been better, but no. It was OK . . . that said, the grilled cheese sammich with bacon and apple butter (reminding me of the Nashville House fried biscuits a little bit) at the bar was good.

Kudos to Munie's aunt and uncle, who came from North Augusta, SC to watch the game. They sat right in front of me for the first half . . . and didn't have to endure the reflexive "bullshit" outburst of mine when the IU guy was called for the foul with under six minutes to go. I'm tellin' yuz . . . we wuz robbed!!! (And yes, I grew up watching Indiana high school basketball . . . .)

Last edited:
We wuz robbed, robbed I tell yuz. Just got back from Clemson. The ref was fine - good actually - until the last 6 minutes of the game . . . and then somebody must've reminded him of who signed his checks, or that he needed to get to his car to go home after the game . . . an IU guy was mugged just outside the box with about 6 minutes to go right in front of us . . . and the ref swallowed his whistle. Then IU's guy does the same thing to a Clemson player, also right in front of us, and the ref calls the foul. Robbed!!!!

IU played much better in the second half than they did in the first . . . IU won no contested balls in the air, but won maybe 70% of contested balls on the ground . . . we're just not very strong in the air compared to Clemson. I thought Clemson had a team quickness/speed advantage, too . . . except for a few Hoosiers, including Sarver. That kid is FAST.

Would not surprise me if this matchup is repeated in the tourney . . . .

BTW1, I don't think that Ben Yeagley played at all after he was subbed out in the first half.

BTW2 . . . Clemson's keeper was outstanding in response to what looked like relentless pressure from IU . . . .

BTW3, tickets were only $8, so I paid for two and gave one to a Clemson fan in line behind me. He said he was the goal keeper for the 1987 national championship team for Clemson in the national championship game . . . against IU. So I looked it up, and I'm thinking either he was confused, or I heard wrong, as the keeper for Clemson's 87 team recently died*, and the 1987 team didn't play IU for the natty that year, but the 1984 national championship game really did . . . so I'm thinking that the guy may have been Shawn Cartmill, who was a walk-on from the ATL. Still way cool . . . must've been a harbinger for the way things would go in the match . . . that guy had a really good night . . . .

BTW4, the crowd for the match was announced at in excess of 6,000. Not a bad showing . . . but students had just arrived the weekend before, and football hadn't started yet.

BTW5 . . . Mike Noonan is Clemson's coach. I don't think there's any connection between Mike and IU's Pat Noonan . . . although Mike has a younger brother who won a natty at Duke in 1986.

Clemson is a nice spot, near a lake . . . I could see why it's a garden spot for college . . . although we were under a severe thunderstorm warning for much of the game, and it spit a little bit of rain during the game. Otherwise it was fine.

Clemson's Riggs Field was a really nice playing surface, and backs up onto Heisman Street. Apparently, Heisman coached at Clemson prior to coaching at GA Tech. Who knew?

Stayed at the Lakeside Lodge, not far from Campus . . . it was OK. If the door had shut and locked, the body wash full, and the bath sink drain stopper working, it would have been better, but no. It was OK . . . that said, the grilled cheese sammich with bacon and apple butter (reminding me of the Nashville House fried biscuits a little bit) at the bar was good.

Kudos to Munie's aunt and uncle, who came from North Augusta, SC to watch the game. They sat right in front of me for the first half . . . and didn't have to endure the reflexive "bullshit" outburst of mine when the IU guy was called for the foul with under six minutes to go. I'm tellin' yuz . . . we wuz robbed!!! (And yes, I grew up watching Indiana high school basketball . . . .)

* The keeper who died apparently was the starter from the 1989 team - Kevin Taylor. He was on the 1987 team, but wasn't "the guy". My bad . . . I misread the article.

RIP Kevin Taylor: https://clemsontigers.com/former-clemson-goalkeeper-kevin-taylor-passes-away/

Thanks for the great write-up Sope. I'm glad you could get out there and have a great time.

IU had their chances. Sarver darn near tied it at 3 with 3 minutes left off the corner. It was a fine one-handed save by the keeper-tip your hat to him.

I doubt IU has any tougher game/environment all season-at least until the tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT