ADVERTISEMENT

“Team over self”

82hoosier

All-American
Sep 7, 2001
That was Fred’s wisdom when the names were taken off the uniforms last season.

Fred, how is that working for the basketball team this season?

Reactions: iulb
In this troubled, materialistic, and self-absorbed (bordering on the pathological) culture, thankfully the state's flagship university's athletic program has taken one small and symbolic step away from self-absorption and toward thinking about the group.

It is about the name on the front of the jersey.

Thank you Mr. Glass!

That was Fred’s wisdom when the names were taken off the uniforms last season.

Fred, how is that working for the basketball team this season?

This fanbase’s obsession with names on the back of uniforms is mind numbingly stupid.

Nah, stupid would be something like posters who have predicted every year for the past 20 years that the new season would be the breakthrough season. Buy it’s their opinion and that is what this board is supposed to be about.

Nah, stupid would be something like posters who have predicted every year for the past 20 years that the new season would be the breakthrough season. Buy it’s their opinion and that is what this board is supposed to be about.
Other than the continuing absence of names on the back of jerseys, what do you predict for the new season?

Other than the continuing absence of names on the back of jerseys, what do you predict for the new season?
I am going with 5-7 or 6-6 for the forth year in a row. I am happy that the Hoosiers can play football with the big boys and don’t play any more cupcakes. Anything more will be icing on the cake.

This fanbase’s obsession with names on the back of uniforms is mind numbingly stupid.
Everyone on here can recognize that your a shill for FG. Why don't you slither back to the to the premium board, after all you said you weren't going to post on the free board anymore.

Reactions: Upset Alert
Much easier to know the 8-10 hoops players without names on their backs vs the 40-50 guys, wearing helmets, who play in a football game. As anonymous as IU football is in general, common sense would say let the fans identify the individual players by having names on the back. But Fred and common sense are words not often used in the same sentence. This "small, symbolic step of playing for the name on front" is just plain dumb.

Your response is wonderfully self-indicting.

It's not about you, your convenience or mine! It's not about the fan base's ease of identifying players.

It is about the student-athletes being engaged in an organized activity beyond their narrow self-interest, which--while uncommon at this age level--is developmentally appropriate.

"It's not about me; it's about we."

Mr. Glass, thank you for having our athletes play for the name on the front!

As an aside, even with names on the jersey a roster is often indispensable whether watching in the stadium or on television.

Much easier to know the 8-10 hoops players without names on their backs vs the 40-50 guys, wearing helmets, who play in a football game. As anonymous as IU football is in general, common sense would say let the fans identify the individual players by having names on the back. But Fred and common sense are words not often used in the same sentence. This "small, symbolic step of playing for the name on front" is just plain dumb.

Reactions: 76-1
I had forgotten about Coach Hep’s quote about accountability. I don’t want to put words in your mouth but are you implying that Hep had his head up his ass regarding names on jerseys?

Reactions: jsenleo

Yes, there should be an exception for football. Fred does some stupid things, mostly out of arrogance, I think. This is one.

Reactions: bang63

it may seem a nit picky thing to feel is important.

that said, in bball it would be more of an ego thing, whereas in football there is a very credible logistical reason to want the names, for anyone who doesn't memorize all the players' numbers other than the QB and maybe a few more.

Reactions: 4IUSox2 and bang63
Wow!! Hoosier Native, I'm sure everyone on this board wishes they were as smart and deep thinking as you!! You come across as pompous and omniscient as Fred.

Glad you can analyze so much by my simply stating why I want names on the jerseys.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT