ADVERTISEMENT

You negative critics have lost your minds.

newIUfan

Benchwarmer
Aug 3, 2012
The Hoosiers played a great game. They slowed it down (how many of you criticized the fast pace last year). The D played great and they adjusted the offense to play with new QBs. There is not a single critic who would have predicted a 10-3 half time score. Half of them are complaining that they went for it on 4th and 5 at the end of the 2nd quarter and the other half are complaining that they did not play to win. The D played great. O$U's longest run was 19 yard (and that is because the refs were not calling the clear holding on the edge blockers). When was the last time that happened? IU did not give up as sack and had very few negative rushing plays. The were not beat on in the trenches on either side of the ball. O$U's leading rusher had 57 yards. M. Harrison's longest catch was 9 yard (he had 2 catches for 18 yards). I thought the game plan was great. The Hoosiers fought and were in the game until the 4th quarter. They were waiting for O$U to make a mistake (turn over, block kick, etc.) that just did not happen. For the critics I suggest you watch the some of the 1000 of Buckeye pregame pod casts that thought they were going to rush for 300 yards and M. Harrison would get 150 in receiving and they were going to will by 50 points. It is a long season and I think it is going to be a good one for the Hoosier. Hey, Purdue lost to Fresno St. and they were favored at home.

The Hoosiers played a great game. They slowed it down (how many of you criticized the fast pace last year). The D played great and they adjusted the offense to play with new QBs. There is not a single critic who would have predicted a 10-3 half time score. Half of them are complaining that they went for it on 4th and 5 at the end of the 2nd quarter and the other half are complaining that they did not play to win. The D played great. O$U's longest run was 19 yard (and that is because the refs were not calling the clear holding on the edge blockers). When was the last time that happened? IU did not give up as sack and had very few negative rushing plays. The were not beat on in the trenches on either side of the ball. O$U's leading rusher had 57 yards. M. Harrison's longest catch was 9 yard (he had 2 catches for 18 yards). I thought the game plan was great. The Hoosiers fought and were in the game until the 4th quarter. They were waiting for O$U to make a mistake (turn over, block kick, etc.) that just did not happen. For the critics I suggest you watch the some of the 1000 of Buckeye pregame pod casts that thought they were going to rush for 300 yards and M. Harrison would get 150 in receiving and they were going to will by 50 points. It is a long season and I think it is going to be a good one for the Hoosier. Hey, Purdue lost to Fresno St. and they were favored at home.
I'll pleasantly eat crow when we revisit this post on Thanksgiving.. If its a win to be bowl eligible...

They scored 3 points in a conference game, total. The coverage against their big WRs was good, but you’ve got to be kidding calling that a “great game.” This is an offense a mother couldn’t even love.

I'll pleasantly eat crow when we revisit this post on Thanksgiving.. If its a win to be bowl eligible...
I understand, a win would be great. Given the vast vast gap in talent between the teams I thought the coaches came up with a good plan, the team fought hard and put the Hoosiers in position to win going into the midpoint of the 3rd quarter. O$U made very few mistakes and a few close calls cost IU. The Hoosiers are far better than last year. Last year they lost 56-14 and the year before 54-7. The Hoosiers have beaten the Bucknuts exactly 2 times since 1951. I see a bright year ahead.

Yes … I read some of those ‘truck IU expectations’ too. Don’t sweat the venting too much from the Fan(antic)s here. The defense is good enough to win some games. The offense needs to catch up.

All agree with about half of what you said. All in all I thought the defense played great. It was over 100° on the field at the beginning of the game and the Hoosiers were still fighting at the end. And it certainly did not help that the Hoosier offense provided little relief. But at least the offense did not set speed records for fastest three and outs. Hoosier quarterbacks did not get sacked because Indiana did not run plays designed for the quarterback to sit in a pocket. The flip side was 82 yd of passing offense. On the other side of the ball Ohio State quarterbacks had all day to throw. Neither coach challenged their inexperienced quarterbacks.

As the announcers pointed out there was literally no crowd noise the entire game. Which means that from the very beginning the outcome was never in doubt. Everybody in the stadium expected Indiana to lose. Well, at least everybody in the stands.

Net net, do I think the Hoosiers prove that they're going to be able to run the ball this season? No. Did they show that they're going to have a decent passing game this year. No. Did either of the Hoosier quarterbacks demonstrate potential that they can develop into a decent threat. No. But that could have been mostly due to the fact that they were playing Ohio State.

On the flip side the Hoosiers played a hell of a lot better game and I thought they would. There was no quit. And hopefully, with some experience, the quarterback play will step up.

I thought they got a reasonable pass rush including the almost fumble/incomplete pass. There were also a number of hurries. End of the day O$U's passing stats were
21/36237 yards6.6 Aver.0 TDs1 Int
not exactly spectacular for the #3 team in the nation with 4 prior QBs in the Heisman hunt. Much of this was an improved pass rush, and some good DB play.

I also think we will have a decent run game. A lot of 2 and 3 yard carries. In past years against O$U half of the carries would be for a loss. We will have a better idea in a few weeks.

There were positives for IU to take from this game; DBs looked much better, LBs played very good, DL did a decent job with Carter even better, now to get the offense working. IU has chance against ISU to get things clicking and looking like an offense with a plan while we need to see the defense improving every week.

You must be a newiufan.

Was at the game and was pleased with what I saw. The defense looked vastly improved. Thought the OL looked good most of the time.

QB, I get what they were trying to do, not sure if they open it up a bit more. The inexperience clearly showed but the potential is there. Felt like Sorsby threw better.

My biggest frustration was the stupid penalties on special teams basically canceling anything in the return game. Can’t start drives from your own ten. We did that too many times.

This team is a lot better than last year from what I saw.

There were positives for IU to take from this game; DBs looked much better, LBs played very good, DL did a decent job with Carter even better, now to get the offense working. IU has chance against ISU to get things clicking and looking like an offense with a plan while we need to see the defense improving every week.
ISU is going to get absolutely destroyed Friday night. Even if IU comes with the exact same offensive game plan.

They’ve lost their minds!

Reactions: vesuvius13
You must be a newiufan.
I selected that name when my daughter went there (she was there for the Wilson era). I have actually followed them for almost 60 years. My grandfather when in undergrad was a trainer for the football team in the 1920s. My mom was a student there in the early 50's when they won a national title in BB. I remember watching the IU Rose Bowl on TV as kid with the whole family, and my mom saying we need to watch it because IU has never made the Rose Bowl and we not sure when they will return. I am a Floridian.

OU’s stat line from yesterday shows nothing for Dasan. Didn’t watch the game, so don’t know if he didn’t play or was injured.

Reactions: vesuvius13
They scored 3 points in a conference game, total. The coverage against their big WRs was good, but you’ve got to be kidding calling that a “great game.” This is an offense a mother couldn’t even love.
Oxford that is crap and you have been a long time fan. Yes both teams were breaking in new quarterbacks and our offense has a long way to go. It was a good opening game to build on. We got one of three toughest teams out of the way when neither was playing at top level. Yes there were still interesting coaching calls but the defense played well. Our Casey and Magnum-Farrer caused OSU problems. I live in Terre Haute and Mallory should be shaking this week preparing an offense that did not score against Eastern Illinois and gave up 27 points on defense.

If Lucas is healthy he should have a field day against ISU if they even kick to him. Andre Carter was being double teamed and still made some nice plays. We were more aggressive on the wide receivers that were the best receiver core we will face all year. Yes there is a lot to improve upon especially on offense but I may be concerned if they let down against ISU and don't take them to the woodshed.

Yesterday Illinois almost got beat by Toledo and Purdue defense got torched by Fresno State. Fresno had a decent time

Lets see where we stand at the end of the Akron game before you act like we suck

I understand, a win would be great. Given the vast vast gap in talent between the teams I thought the coaches came up with a good plan, the team fought hard and put the Hoosiers in position to win going into the midpoint of the 3rd quarter. O$U made very few mistakes and a few close calls cost IU. The Hoosiers are far better than last year. Last year they lost 56-14 and the year before 54-7. The Hoosiers have beaten the Bucknuts exactly 2 times since 1951. I see a bright year ahead.
Since you are a new fan, I'll give you some history. I've been in that stadium when we were close at half several times. I've been there when we were one play away from beating a legit top 5 OSU. We could have made yesterday a close game and put more pressure on young OSU players.

If your goal is to not lose big, then it was a good game. If Bell would have called a more traditional game, we could have sustained more drives and given OSU less opportunities to score. Our D would not have worn down and our offense would have gained confidence and we might have scored a couple of touchdowns.

How are we supposed to learn how to win and make plays if we don't practice them and get experience in the games? How are supposed to learn how to get the ball downfield unless we throw the ball downfield? Sure, a mistake might happen. We lost the game anyway, but we could have teachable moments that we could learn from and use in a game like Illinois, purdue or any game that gets us closer to bowl eligibility.

Also since you are new, getting screwed at home is nothing new. Expect that to continue until we get serious about football and are the higher ranked team with bowl aspirations.

The players did as well as they were allowed to play. This team has potential with Jackson as the leader and soeone else calling the plays.

Reactions: IUgradman
username checks out

ISU is going to get absolutely destroyed Friday night. Even if IU comes with the exact same offensive game plan.
Well they’re awful. They got shutout by another 1-AA. If we win 45-3 I don’t see any real takeaways. Akron is a much better barometer. They’re a competitive MAC team. If we win big I feel better. If it’s a 1 possession game late I’m standing by 2 or 3 wins.

Well they’re awful. They got shutout by another 1-AA. If we win 45-3 I don’t see any real takeaways. Akron is a much better barometer. They’re a competitive MAC team. If we win big I feel better. If it’s a 1 possession game late I’m standing by 2 or 3 wins.
Akron is currently ranked 129 of 133 teams in division 1 football.

Which is why I said it’s my measuring game. We won’t sniff a win against Louisville on a what will likely be a very pro Louisville crowd.
Respectfully disagree. I watched the Louisville- Ga. Tech game, and they are very beatable. Their defense was flat out awful against a mediocre Tech team that had its way most of the game. We will be very competitive in this game.

All agree with about half of what you said. All in all I thought the defense played great. It was over 100° on the field at the beginning of the game and the Hoosiers were still fighting at the end. And it certainly did not help that the Hoosier offense provided little relief. But at least the offense did not set speed records for fastest three and outs. Hoosier quarterbacks did not get sacked because Indiana did not run plays designed for the quarterback to sit in a pocket. The flip side was 82 yd of passing offense. On the other side of the ball Ohio State quarterbacks had all day to throw. Neither coach challenged their inexperienced quarterbacks.

As the announcers pointed out there was literally no crowd noise the entire game. Which means that from the very beginning the outcome was never in doubt. Everybody in the stadium expected Indiana to lose. Well, at least everybody in the stands.

Net net, do I think the Hoosiers prove that they're going to be able to run the ball this season? No. Did they show that they're going to have a decent passing game this year. No. Did either of the Hoosier quarterbacks demonstrate potential that they can develop into a decent threat. No. But that could have been mostly due to the fact that they were playing Ohio State.

On the flip side the Hoosiers played a hell of a lot better game and I thought they would. There was no quit. And hopefully, with some experience, the quarterback play will step up.
I'm encouraged. The D looked better, the Oline looked better. Obviously the young QBs have to step up. But they're young. I'm hopeful.

Which is why I said it’s my measuring game. We won’t sniff a win against Louisville on a what will likely be a very pro Louisville crowd.
I have not seen enough of Louisville to say that. They did beat Georgia Tech but Georgia Tech is probably not going to do that well this year. How many points you willing to give me since we won't sniff a win against Louisville.

Count me in
Heck I almost never consider betting on IU football but might if we have that kind of line. I even took IU and 30 yesterday because of them playing a quarterback also with his first start even with all their talent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT