ADVERTISEMENT

Wouldn't you love to see....

jsenleo

All-Big Ten
Gold Member
Sep 3, 2003
... the top 50 lists CCC got from each of the outgoing staff? ...

I would be interesting to see how the staff ranked some players... If they were well above or below the public's perception..

makes ya wonder, doesn't it.

... the top 50 lists CCC got from each of the outgoing staff? ...

I would be interesting to see how the staff ranked some players... If they were well above or below the public's perception..

makes ya wonder, doesn't it.
too bad it wasn't in the pic he took of his desk.

It would also be interesting to see where the JMU commits that flipped and the JMU transfers fit into the ranking as well.

CCC obviously trusts his ability to evaluate talent and thinks that many of the players that he would have had at JMU are just as helpful to winning in the Big Ten.

Is there big step up in talent level in the big ten (outside of osu and michigan) over sun belt teams or is it mostly just better depth (less drop off)?

I think a big part of our issue in the past has been depth and having more misses than hits. We wear down and lose in the end.

So it will be interesting to see how many of the players CCC is bringing with him end up as starters vs depth.

Also of note is CCC will focus on taking players in the transfer portal that have started or at least played a lot. Doesn't look like we will be taking a chance on bench warmers from the top teams any more. CCC said good players find their way onto the field.

On one hand, it would seem that would be a safer way to go about things as you have video evidence of how good the transfer player is but on the other hand you could be missing out on a lot of untapped talent that was wasting away on bigger program's bench.

So looks like we will be doing more stealing from smaller programs vs stealing from the big time programs.

Is there big step up in talent level in the big ten (outside of osu and michigan) over sun belt teams or is it mostly just better depth (less drop off)?
Put it this way, per Sagarin, JMU would have been the 2nd best team in the B10 West last year. If you take out OSU, Penn St, and Michigan, the top 20-25 guys on JMU were probably as good if not better (at least in terms of on-field production, not recruiting rankings) than every other B10 team. B10 teams are much deeper than Sun Belt teams though and unfortunately injuries play a major factor in football.

Also of note is CCC will focus on taking players in the transfer portal that have started or at least played a lot. Doesn't look like we will be taking a chance on bench warmers from the top teams any more. CCC said good players find their way onto the field.

On one hand, it would seem that would be a safer way to go about things as you have video evidence of how good the transfer player is but on the other hand you could be missing out on a lot of untapped talent that was wasting away on bigger program's bench.

So looks like we will be doing more stealing from smaller programs vs stealing from the big time programs.
We would miss out on a Joe Burrow. Or a Tayven Jackson.

Overall, I agree with him. Indiana can't afford misses, so even if lower end, if they can help at the big ten level, probably better.

I'm concerned at the talent level. Long term if each year was the same as this, I think we won't be in the greatest position. But it's year one. 20 days in. So I think it's looking pretty good looking at the time frame.

Most of the high school recruits are still Tom Allen's even though CIgnetti has now vetted them. He says it's a two year process getting in on recruits enough to get them here. So I expect the star level will rise. Not that Allen and staff were bad at it.

Think production not potential.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT