ADVERTISEMENT

Would You Attend An In-Person Water Cooler Meet Up?

If There Were a Water Cooler In-Person Meet Up, Would You Attend?

• Yes

Votes: 17 45.9%
  • No

Votes: 20 54.1%

• Total voters
Yes, but if one uses Linux one is a geek, pencil neck variety. Think owner of a 1960s Ford because they can 100% maintain it themself.

You're regurgitating the now inaccurate stereotype that may have held true long ago. Today's desktop Linux users are drawn to its ease of use, innate security, and the ability to customize it in ways limited only by the imagination. Contrary to what you say above, there is little to no maintenance involved beyond doing the occasional updates, which are nearly always quick, done when you chose, and don't require reboots.

You're regurgitating the now inaccurate stereotype that may have held true long ago. Today's desktop Linux users are drawn to its ease of use, innate security, and the ability to customize it in ways limited only by the imagination. Contrary to what you say above, there is little to no maintenance involved beyond doing the occasional updates, which are nearly always quick, done when you chose, and don't require reboots.
Linux is around 3% of all desktop computers. Linux users are still mostly the computer geeks even if it is more accessible. The average person goes to Best Buy and buys a Windows box, or if they want to just throw money away, a Mac :).

Linux is around 3% of all desktop computers. Linux users are still mostly the computer geeks even if it is more accessible. The average person goes to Best Buy and buys a Windows box, or if they want to just throw money away, a Mac :).

I have some sympathy for the Win users, they've been taken advantage of and don't even realize it. The Mac douche's deserve every thing they get.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
I have some sympathy for the Win users, they've been taken advantage of and don't even realize it. The Mac douche's deserve every thing they get.

When I retire I will probably use Linux, or even Chrome on a Chromebook, and not Windows and certainly not Mac.

I did consider an iPhone yesterday but went with the Pixel 8 because of the AI. I can do the "best photo" in Photoshop but it looks dang easy on the Pixel.

Reactions: UncleMark
When I retire I will probably use Linux, or even Chrome on a Chromebook, and not Windows and certainly not Mac.

When the time comes, don't automatically go with Ubuntu or one of its derivatives because of the mind share. I use and strongly recommend MX, which is Debian based with a sweet Xfce or KDE DTE laid on top. The dev team is small but are at the top of the game, and when you ask for support on the forum the odds are high that one of the devs themselves will be the one weighing in to assist.

I've been intrigued by the Chromebooks as a portable appliance but haven't actually checked them out. There are several Linux images available that one can supposedly run on them but it takes a bit of hackery to the Google EFI to get them loaded.

When the time comes, don't automatically go with Ubuntu or one of its derivatives because of the mind share. I use and strongly recommend MX, which is Debian based with a sweet Xfce or KDE DTE laid on top. The dev team is small but are at the top of the game, and when you ask for support on the forum the odds are high that one of the devs themselves will be the one weighing in to assist.

I've been intrigued by the Chromebooks as a portable appliance but haven't actually checked them out. There are several Linux images available that one can supposedly run on them but it takes a bit of hackery to the Google EFI to get them loaded.
English please.

I was thinking about this the other day. I feel like I 'know' some of you, but I don't think I've actually met any of you.

Back in 2001/02-ish, I actually got to meet a fair number of people from the peegs board. I attended an IU basketball game at Penn State and met a bunch of folks from those boards. I also played in the Peegs first - and I believe only - 3 on 3 basketball tournament in Bloomington. I met a few other people at the Big Ten Tournament in Chicago around that time too.

Apologies if any of you were at those events, but as far as I can tell, I've never met any of you.

I'm not necessarily suggesting I'd plan it, but I'm curious - is there any interest in meeting up for something like a happy hour?
The way people treat each other I would never do a face-to-face.

Marshmallow coke is the play
I never tried that one that I can recall. There was a DQ halfway between my elementary/jr high and home. We would stop once a week after school and try strange coke flavors. Neither chocolate nor hot fudge can be recommended. Banana wasn't terrible.

I never tried that one that I can recall. There was a DQ halfway between my elementary/jr high and home. We would stop once a week after school and try strange coke flavors. Neither chocolate nor hot fudge can be recommended. Banana wasn't terrible.
Our drug store growing up had lots of flavors. I did like chocolate. We were obsessed with the marshmallow so my mom got Marshmallow Fluff so we could have them at home for special treats.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
Our drug store growing up had lots of flavors. I did like chocolate. We were obsessed with the marshmallow so my mom got Marshmallow Fluff so we could have them at home for special treats.

I was a big marshmallow fluff fan. My dad had a rule, be home when dinner was served or make my own. All summer I would play ball until after dark, so fluff on a peanut butter sandwich was very often my dinner.

Reactions: zeke4ahs
You MFers are just committed to kill "the unprivilaged", no matter what.

You MFers are just committed to kill "the unprivilaged", no matter what.

What”MRers” are trying to kill which “underprivileged,” and how? Please translate.

So my take away from all this is half of everyone here has no interest in actually meeting anyone who posts on this board. Of the other half that do want to meet, some of you would like to hang out with an alias because there is a better than decent chance a fight could break out or some suspicious packages would show up at your house after the meet up.

All this as @UncleMark is canoodling with @zeke4ahs in the corner while spouting computer networking security knowledge.

Sounds about right.
Fight Club rules apply

Reactions: Ohio Guy
I use the same laptop for both regular stuff and gaming. That's why I run windows. My understanding is most commercial games don't run on Linux.
They don't. It would require them writing a completely different version. Market isn't there. I hear talk about Steam, but don't know anything about it.

Ouch. I bought my first Mac in 2014 after having every laptop or computer I ever owned drag after 2 years. This MacBook Air is still going strong after 10 years. Never had a virus, it’s never had an issue.

As a result, I bought my daughter a MacBook Air when she started high school. It’s two years old and has now required two hardware replacements (keyboard and touchpad would freeze up).

I hate electronic devices.

Ouch. I bought my first Mac in 2014 after having every laptop or computer I ever owned drag after 2 years. This MacBook Air is still going strong after 10 years. Never had a virus, it’s never had an issue.

As a result, I bought my daughter a MacBook Air when she started high school. It’s two years old and has now required two hardware replacements (keyboard and touchpad would freeze up).

Never had an issue with my Macs, and I wasn't an early adopter.

You should never have less than 16GB of memory. Browsers suck with memory.

I bought my daughter a MacBook Air this year for school. She wanted it. She uses the free Chromebook from school.

I hate kids

They don't. It would require them writing a completely different version. Market isn't there. I hear talk about Steam, but don't know anything about it.
Unless I missed something, Steam isn't running on Mac's 64-bit infrastructure.

You can always get an emulator, and you can also have multiple boot partitions on any computer if you have powerful enough specs to run games.

I bought my first Mac in 2014 after having every laptop or computer I ever owned drag after 2 years.
That's the nature of Win OS and the file systems they use. I made a lot of money back in the day fixing those. The problem was, you could restore the OS to it's "like new" vigor, but newer updated programs were always more resource hungry, so the computer felt slower.
This MacBook Air is still going strong after 10 years. Never had a virus, it’s never had an issue.
MacOS is based on BSD, which -- like Linux -- is a Unix derivative and is by nature more robust and less prone to security issues. From that standpoint, the MacOS experience is very much the same as running Linux.
I bought my daughter a MacBook Air when she started high school. It’s two years old and has now required two hardware replacements (keyboard and touchpad would freeze up).
Apple hardware is normally considered to be top of the line, so that experience is out of the ordinary. That said, you can always get a lemon, or perhaps there's a user problem.

Reactions: BradStevens
You should never have less than 16GB of memory. Browsers suck with memory.

That's silly unless you're constantly using memory intensive programs, and browsers aren't unless there's something wrong. Unused memory is wasted memory.

Steam has its own OS which is Linux based. I don't know much about it other than that it is installed on Steam Decks. I guess that naturally increases the number of developers who are publishing games for Linux, but I'm not sure any of those games would run on any other Linux OS besides Steam.

That's silly unless you're constantly using memory intensive programs, and browsers aren't unless there's something wrong. Unused memory is wasted memory.
You techies must be foreign spies speaking in code. Mind numbing shit that’s way over most of our heads. That said, I’d be all for a tech geek thread to replace the soccer thread. 😊

But that's not how it plays out. Safari is my biggest resource hog. Chrome isn't much different. Firefox is worse.

Screenshot-2023-11-26-at-11-44-49-PM.png

Look at my top resource hog?

8 of my tabs are showing up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT