ADVERTISEMENT

Would You Attend An In-Person Water Cooler Meet Up?

If There Were a Water Cooler In-Person Meet Up, Would You Attend?

• Yes

Votes: 17 45.9%
  • No

Votes: 20 54.1%

• Total voters

Ohio Guy

Hall of Famer
Aug 28, 2001
I was thinking about this the other day. I feel like I 'know' some of you, but I don't think I've actually met any of you.

Back in 2001/02-ish, I actually got to meet a fair number of people from the peegs board. I attended an IU basketball game at Penn State and met a bunch of folks from those boards. I also played in the Peegs first - and I believe only - 3 on 3 basketball tournament in Bloomington. I met a few other people at the Big Ten Tournament in Chicago around that time too.

Apologies if any of you were at those events, but as far as I can tell, I've never met any of you.

I'm not necessarily suggesting I'd plan it, but I'm curious - is there any interest in meeting up for something like a happy hour?

I was thinking about this the other day. I feel like I 'know' some of you, but I don't think I've actually met any of you.

Back in 2001/02-ish, I actually got to meet a fair number of people from the peegs board. I attended an IU basketball game at Penn State and met a bunch of folks from those boards. I also played in the Peegs first - and I believe only - 3 on 3 basketball tournament in Bloomington. I met a few other people at the Big Ten Tournament in Chicago around that time too.

Apologies if any of you were at those events, but as far as I can tell, I've never met any of you.

I'm not necessarily suggesting I'd plan it, but I'm curious - is there any interest in meeting up for something like a happy hour?

One of those things that sounds great, in theory. For someone with three younger kids and who doesn't live in IN, seems unrealistic given other priorities.

Reactions: Ohio Guy
This is interesting. Of the 16 people who voted in the poll, a little less than half of you have no interest in actually meeting posters on this board. Not really sure what to read into that. Jamie's point is valid - it'd be hard to travel from out of state with family responsibilities tugging on you.

Of the 16 people who voted in the poll, a little less than half of you have no interest in actually meeting posters on this board.
that this is a great distraction during the day, like sexting, which i can't get going, or words with friends or anything else to pass time while doing other stuff, but no interest in meeting or hanging out with posters in "real life." i trust many of us have lifelong friends we already don't make time for much less people we don't really even know

Reactions: larsIU
don't worry, it was just @Sope Creek 's bowel movements from the past week!
For the record I have no idea who Sope is and I had no idea he made it a practice to send brown packages with books enclosed with no return address and only word Sope in upper left hand corner of package. Now I know and it’s no problem. I’d rather he email me a link to a free audio book in the future. 😊

This is interesting. Of the 16 people who voted in the poll, a little less than half of you have no interest in actually meeting posters on this board. Not really sure what to read into that. Jamie's point is valid - it'd be hard to travel from out of state with family responsibilities tugging on you.

You shouldn’t have made the voting anonymous, so we could see who the socially awkward are!

I’m not saying I wouldn’t consider it, but seems like it wouldn’t be high likelihood based on what I’m dealing with. I assume @twenty02 would be in the same boat, even though he is in-state.

For the record I have no idea who Sope is and I had no idea he made it a practice to send brown packages with books enclosed with no return address and only word Sope in upper left hand corner of package. Now I know and it’s no problem. I’d rather he email me a link to a free audio book in the future. 😊

The audio link could be to a computer virus. Never know.

that this is a great distraction during the day, like sexting, which i can't get going, or words with friends or anything else to pass time while doing other stuff, but no interest in meeting or hanging out with posters in "real life." i trust many of us have lifelong friends we already don't make time for much less people we don't really even know

True. I barely get to see my real friends more than a day or two a month for a few hours... with all the kids activities plus work and travel.

You shouldn’t have made the voting anonymous, so we could see who the socially awkward are!

I’m not saying I wouldn’t consider it, but seems like it wouldn’t be high likelihood based on what I’m dealing with. I assume @twenty02 would be in the same boat, even though he is in-state.
No worries, we’ll let you and Twenty spilt the tab to feel like you participated. You’re welcome. 😊

True. I barely get to see my real friends more than a day or two a month for a few hours... with all the kids activities plus work and travel.
I’m blessed in that I work with multiple friends. But travel forget it. There’s this group of old soccer guys, maybe 10 of them, (all north of 70)who meet at Starbucks every morning during the week. I hope my crowd does that when the time comes. Seems like a good thing to do

I’ll add that a handful of you I’d be friends with in real life I can tell. Another life

Reactions: DANC

To be honest, I didn't realize I could make voting public. I probably would have if I could. I'd be curious who voted for/against too.

I totally get having other responsibilities and lack of time. I'm starting to see the light at the end of that tunnel, but in reality I probably have small windows of time that work with my daughter still in high school and doing club soccer.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
DANC, dbm, ftw, Joe

db1d288185f35d96daca8298ad02ad47.jpg

I’m blessed in that I work with multiple friends. But travel forget it. There’s this group of old soccer guys, maybe 10 of them, (all north of 70)who meet at Starbucks every morning during the week. I hope my crowd does that when the time comes. Seems like a good thing to do

I’ll add that a handful of you I’d be friends with in real life I can tell. Another life

Glad I'm not a starbucks drinker. Not sure I could fit it on a fixed income lol. by then it will be $10+ a cup

Glad I'm not a starbucks drinker. Not sure I could fit it on a fixed income lol. by then it will be $10+ a cup
It’s funny you say that. This group was part of a larger group of legit soccer legends who used to go to my buddy’s restaurant for champions league games. They always wanted app discounts and free shit and would drink tea and water. Occupying tables for hours. Finally he got real mad and kicked them all out. Told them to find a new bar. I was laughing so hard I had to hide in the bathroom.

Tomorrow I’m going to look and see what they are drinking

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BradStevens
To be honest, I didn't realize I could make voting public. I probably would have if I could. I'd be curious who voted for/against too.

I totally get having other responsibilities and lack of time. I'm starting to see the light at the end of that tunnel, but in reality I probably have small windows of time that work with my daughter still in high school and doing club soccer.
It's a nice idea but I think it has serious "waste of time" potential. The people we "see" here would, in many instances, not be the people we see there. A WC gathering wouldn't be much different, I don't think, than getting together with commuters on a morning train that we share space with every day but don't know.

It's tough to size people up from just the written word, and that's all we've got here. I'm certain there are some really good guys (including you) on this board along with a couple of complete assholes. I don't have a clue, though, with respect to everyone else. There are guys who come across as dicks but maybe they're dealing with some huge life issue like a physical disability, a recent tragedy, mental health issues, substance abuse struggles, etc. There are probably other guys who create a fake, "tough guy" internet persona and are actually nothing like that. Other claims could very well be fake as well. Is VPM really a pastor? Does murt really have an XXL dick? It's just impossible to make individual determinations and, in most cases, we can't tell what we're dealing with. One exception is ignorance. That shows up pretty clearly.

The audio link could be to a computer virus. Never know.
Yea, we’re fighting that many times everyday in my office. It’s exhausting.

I am paying a fortune for security and Thomson Reuters has most of our software in the Cloud.

One bad click from an employee and bad news.

I am paying a fortune for security and Thomson Reuters has most of our software in the Cloud.

Spam and trying to trick people seems to be the go to.

Btw, I would like $500 in Apple gift cards for the boss lol but keep it a secret because it's a surprise.

Reactions: stollcpa
It's a nice idea but I think it has serious "waste of time" potential. The people we "see" here would, in many instances, not be the people we see there. A WC gathering wouldn't be much different, I don't think, than getting together with commuters on a morning train that we share space with every day but don't know.

It's tough to size people up from just the written word, and that's all we've got here. I'm certain there are some really good guys (including you) on this board along with a couple of complete assholes. I don't have a clue, though, with respect to everyone else. There are guys who come across as dicks but maybe they're dealing with some huge life issue like a physical disability, a recent tragedy, mental health issues, substance abuse struggles, etc. There are probably other guys who create a fake, "tough guy" internet persona and are actually nothing like that. Other claims could very well be fake as well. Is VPM really a pastor? Does murt really have an XXL dick? It's just impossible to make individual determinations and, in most cases, we can't tell what we're dealing with. One exception is ignorance. That shows up pretty clearly.

Twenty years ago I met up with a number of people who participated in a Usenet forum I was active in. It was hosted in West Virginia and we had people there from all over the country and even one guy from Ireland. Every single person who showed up was the real deal, exactly who they presented themselves to be. Even simple appearances were in line with expectations.

Spam and trying to trick people seems to be the go to.

Btw, I would like $500 in Apple gift cards for the boss lol but keep it a secret because it's a surprise.
Seems to be no real way of fighting it except being diligent.

Twenty years ago I met up with a number of people who participated in a Usenet forum I was active in. It was hosted in West Virginia and we had people there from all over the country and even one guy from Ireland. Every single person who showed up was the real deal, exactly who they presented themselves to be. Even simple appearances were in line with expectations.
That's kind of what I thought when I met several of the peegsters 20+ years ago. For the most part, I wasn't surprised that anyone looked like what they looked like. I think it'd be cool to meet up, but I'm not going to press on it. Maybe at some point if I make it to an IU game I'll throw out an informal invitation to meet up at a bar or something.

If your enterprise software is all in the cloud then there's no real reason not to be running FOSS on the desktop. For all practical purposes it's immune to infection. Of course, it doesn't prevent a numbskull from handing over the jewels if they are convinced they should, but clicking on a bad attachment or link won't get you pwnd.

That's kind of what I thought when I met several of the peegsters 20+ years ago. For the most part, I wasn't surprised that anyone looked like what they looked like. I think it'd be cool to meet up, but I'm not going to press on it. Maybe at some point if I make it to an IU game I'll throw out an informal invitation to meet up at a bar or something.

I think people would be happy to meet up casually if it didn't mean a lot of travel or effort. I'd go to a meetup in Bton (or maybe even Carmel!) but I'm not going to Dayton or St. Louis or Ft. Wayne or Minneapolis. Now if I'm already passing through that would be a different story.

Who do I speak with about seating assignments? I’d like to sit between @JamieDimonsBalls and @TheOriginalHappyGoat so I can whisper buy Bitcoin in their ears.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT