ADVERTISEMENT

Word on Jaylin Lucas?

Jaylin is definitely overhyped as a RB. He’s as advertised as a kick returner.

But I can count on one hand the number of times he actually made a cut to turn upfield on a run play and did something.

Everything else was trying to get to the edge. And for the speed he’s got, he hardly ever was able to actually win the race to the corner and turn/burn.
That's my beef exactly with him. He hasn't vision to see a crease and make that 1 step cut into it. I'd like to know the # of east west yards he ran compared to his actual yardage gained. He's beyond a doubt a dangerous kick return weapon. Still need more proof he can prove himself in the slot.

I assume you're talking about his shiftiness with cuts. We've seen him to that before and I guess I'm optimistic that coaching can help him work that into how he runs. He also had a lot of rushes early in the season while Bell was OC, 49 with Bell vs 18 with Carey. The OL improved over the course of Carey running the offense and Lucas could have benefited from that.

Comparing someone to Barry would be very rare, dude was in his own lane.

Listed height and weight on their college pages:

Jaylin Lucas: 5'9" 170
Deuce Vaughn: 5'6" 176
Darren Sproles: 5'7" 180
Donnel Pumphrey: 5'9" 180

Obviously they don't always play at listed height and weight, and the numbers are usually buffed a bit, but I think it's closer than you expected. 15 pounds puts him in line with the rest of the guys and isn't inconceivable for a college player. He won't be a Blake Corum (5' 8" 213) or Cody Schrader (5'9" 214) but I think a comparison to the guys I mentioned is fair.

I really believe Lucas has the ability to take the next step at running back though I hope he can take a step both at rushing and receiving. How about we bring Dana Holgorsen in as an offensive analyst and have him tell Shanahan exactly how to make Lucas into Tavon Austin-lite?
He does own speed but damn little wiggle.

Reactions: red hornet and 76-1
I hope we can find a way to entice him back as an (Ultra) Walk-On with his scholarship value being replaced by real cash... I don't believe we can afford to spend one of our last 18 or so scholarships on him while we're still trying to fill out the two deep on both sides of the ball...
Potentially the best kick returner in the country (best in the B1G) deserves a scholarship and NIL money

Reactions: vesuvius13
Any rumors on where he is looking? I know that his numbers weren't of the chart but I think that's more of a problem with the offense, particularly Bell.

The kid is a game breaker and we need him to stay.
I see him as a straight-line speed guy, who isn’t going to have enough space running from scrimmage.

Folks aren’t going to kick it to him on kick offs much, if at all.

So he needs to be able to return punts and catch passes to help us.

Potentially the best kick returner in the country (best in the B1G) deserves a scholarship and NIL money
On the right team sure (although in today's college football "deserves" has nothing to do with it)..., but not on this team for the reasons I already covered... If anybody "deserves" a scholarship it's Camper... Think he's going to see one?

I'd like to have us find a way to bring them both back...

The beauty of these types of arguments in today's world is that fans can literally put the money up to make what they believe about a player "deserving" a position happen...

It'll be interesting to see how it all turns out... We should have a pretty good feel for who's really staying and who's going a few weeks from now... Then we might lose a few again in the Spring (maybe 3 to 5 once the 3 deep roster becomes clearer)...

On the right team sure (although in today's college football "deserves" has nothing to do with it)..., but not on this team for the reasons I already covered... If anybody "deserves" a scholarship it's Camper... Think he's going to see one?

The beauty of these types of arguments in today's world is that fans can literally put the money up to make what they believe about a player "deserving" a position happen...

It'll be interesting to see how it all turns out... We should have a pretty good feel for who's really staying and who's going a few weeks from now... Then we might lose a few again in the Spring (maybe 3 to 5 once the 3 deep roster becomes clearer)...
Why would you think that camper wouldn’t get a scholarship if he decided to come back here?

Both should get scholarships. The lines need some shoring up but with 18 (do you know where that # is from?) openings I think there's plenty of room to bring back two dynamic players.

Potentially…. Which means he isn’t and was paid last year on the “Come”…. I think the biggest believer in Lucas last year was Lucas. Performance just wasn’t there
Just as a KR he was great. 1st B1G kick return yards (13th NCAA), 1st B1G average kick return yards (14th NCAA), T-1st B1G kick return TD (T-6th NCAA). Take away his 100 yard TD return against Purdue and he still leads the B1G in kick return yards and is 9th in average.

Just as a KR he was great. 1st B1G kick return yards (13th NCAA), 1st B1G average kick return yards (14th NCAA), T-1st B1G kick return TD (T-6th NCAA). Take away his 100 yard TD return against Purdue and he still leads the B1G in kick return yards and is 9th in average.
You could literally put me back there waving for the Fair Catch and we'll start from the 25 every time...

Once he's been identified as a return threat ((which he has been)) they simply won't Kick to him...

The other (bigger) problem is that against the really good teams (the ones we really need a return against) their young Special Teams guys are just faster across the board than our young Special Teams guys which equals either a negligible return, or worse, a penalty that puts us starting out somewhere near the 10 yard line...

You could literally put me back there waving for the Fair Catch and we'll start from the 25 every time...

Once he's been identified as a return threat ((which he has been)) they simply won't Kick to him...

The other (bigger) problem is that against the really good teams (the ones we really need a return against) their young Special Teams guys are just faster across the board than our young Special Teams guys which equals either a negligible return, or worse, a penalty that puts us starting out somewhere near the 10 yard line...
The point of Lucas' (and having a plus-plus kick returner) is to not have to start at your own ~25 and have the ability to flip the field for our advantage.

This year the 2022 first-team All-America kick returner had the most returns in the B1G and tied for 7th most in FBS. Not all kick offs will be a touchbacks in college, returners will get enough opportunities if they have the ability to take it to the house.

I'm hoping special teams play improves with the new coaching staff and think that would allow for more opportunities for a top returner. Clean up the penalties and I bet those return yards increase.

Didn’t realize that I must say… but… I believe he got a huge chunk of our NIL…. Still say over spent for it. Were those stats 2023 or since his time at IU?

Well, we did have 73 kickoff return opportunities compared to Michigan's 25 in one more game. With that many KO's a game it is definitely important. However, I don't think he is worth top 3 NIL money. They aren't a dime a dozen, but I would think options are available. Montana State had a guy return a kickoff and punt in the FCS semifinal game last week. Scour that level at a cheaper price.

Didn’t realize that I must say… but… I believe he got a huge chunk of our NIL…. Still say over spent for it. Were those stats 2023 or since his time at IU?
That's this past 2023 season. During his first team All-American 2022 season he was 1st B1G total kick return yards in B1G (14th in FBS), 1st in B1G average kick return yards (6th FBS), and was the only player in FBS to score two kick return touchdowns. Only 49 players in college football history have more kick return touchdowns than Lucas.

I don't know about NIL so if he'd eat up a chunk I can see not offering him a similar amount but maybe I'm too optimistic that there's an amount of money he'd like to come back for with the changes to the program. Penn State has offered so it wouldn't surprise me to see him go there if he was a fan of CTA. I'd like to think there's lots of opportunity on keeping an All-American.

Reactions: red hornet
I see him as a straight-line speed guy, who isn’t going to have enough space running from scrimmage.

Folks aren’t going to kick it to him on kick offs much, if at all.

So he needs to be able to return punts and catch passes to help us.
Lucas wasn't a straight-line speedster so either his ankle was still bothering him or coaching was taking that part of the game away. I remember a run against Nebraska that broke ankles on defenders twice as he made moves to gain yardage. Lucas sure hasn't shown that enough as a runner but we don't know how much was injury or how much was coaching

Reactions: red hornet
Congrats to Jaylin! Thanks for being a Hoosier.

I saw he also had an offer from Ok. State. So I guess he had some to choose from.
I hate to lose him as a returner. Hopefully he can do even more at Louisville. I think in Cigs offense he'd have been good here, but they filled the spots now with good players.

Coach Cignetti said Miles Price is a good punt returner, and could do kicks too. I saw he didn't return a lot of punts this year but had a hell of an average. 19.6 avg ... On 10 returns. Looking forward to seeing him in action.

Congrats to Jaylin! Thanks for being a Hoosier.

I saw he also had an offer from Ok. State. So I guess he had some to choose from.
I hate to lose him as a returner. Hopefully he can do even more at Louisville. I think in Cigs offense he'd have been good here, but they filled the spots now with good players.

Coach Cignetti said Miles Price is a good punt returner, and could do kicks too. I saw he didn't return a lot of punts this year but had a hell of an average. 19.6 avg ... On 10 returns. Looking forward to seeing him in action.
He's still in the portal, hasn't committed anywhere. He recently took a visit to Louisville but that's it.

He's a top FBS level Kick Returner period and teams that have the luxury of already being 3 deep in future starters at nearly every position can afford to spend a scholarship on just a Kick Off Returner. We don't have that type of depth yet and need every scholarship available to go to key positions on both sides of the ball who are going to play more than 5 or 6 snaps a game (if we're not doing well)...

He was given every opportunity to show that he was more than just a Returner last fall and was the major reason Bells Offense was "anemic"... When Carey reduced his touches our Offensive production flourished in comparison to Bells...

I hope we can find a way to entice him back as an (Ultra) Walk-On with his scholarship value being replaced by real cash... I don't believe we can afford to spend one of our last 18 or so scholarships on him while we're still trying to fill out the two deep on both sides of the ball...
As always 76-1...solid analysis....thank you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT