ADVERTISEMENT

Wiffleball

Best wiffleball memory?

MV5BMTEwNmMyMDMtMTg0Yy00YTU4LWIxZTQtN2Y1OTUwMjVkODIwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODA0MTAyMzc@._V1_QL75_UY281_CR11,0,190,281_.jpg

When we were fairly young we played in a friend's back yard. We often would lose our whiffle ball, so he would run in and take his mom's plastic fruit. They had unique flight characteristics.

Of course the whiffle ball did to, we tended to wrap it in black electrical tape to make fastballs much more real. The result was everything was a spitter fastball.

When we outgrew that little yard, we played diagonal across the street from me. First was a huge lot where they tore down a giant concrete blockhouse and smashed it all into gravel. One finds grounders interesting on gravel. Then urban renewal tore half my neighborhood down and directly across from me was a new, paved, parking lot for that was always empty. So we used it. On a rare occasion we had to create ground rules for cars.

When we were fairly young we played in a friend's back yard. We often would lose our whiffle ball, so he would run in and take his mom's plastic fruit. They had unique flight characteristics.

Of course the whiffle ball did to, we tended to wrap it in black electrical tape to make fastballs much more real. The result was everything was a spitter fastball.

When we outgrew that little yard, we played diagonal across the street from me. First was a huge lot where they tore down a giant concrete blockhouse and smashed it all into gravel. One finds grounders interesting on gravel. Then urban renewal tore half my neighborhood down and directly across from me was a new, paved, parking lot for that was always empty. So we used it. On a rare occasion we had to create ground rules for cars.
Electrical tape on the bat and ball…,later we used tennis balls with the taped up bats. Good time and a lot of memories

Growing up, we had a core group of 8 of us that would play. There was a piece of land behind one of my best friends house that was naturally shaped like a field and had a little road that ran around the "outfield" that we considered a home run. I was young, but it was probably 200 feet or so from home to the road.

Over the years, kids would come and go but there was our 8 that basically stuck around the block until high school.

When we got about 7th or 8th grade, we graduated to tennis balls and wooden bats.

We had a separate field around the actual block that we played football on. Some of the best memories growing up with with the boys from the block. I'm still in touch with a handful of them to this day.

We had a small group. Our progression was a little different: bikes -> horses --> motorcycles
seriously? wow. grew up in the country?

we played a little wiffle ball but not much. street hockey then later roller hockey was our thing. that movie i linked was a bunch of kids we grew up with who all moved to chicago together right after college and just got drunk and played wiffle ball in the alley all day and drank and didn't get it going for quite some time. they were late to the wiffle ball scene lol

we played a little wiffle ball but not much. street hockey then later roller hockey was our thing. that movie i linked was a bunch of kids we grew up with who all moved to chicago together right after college and just got drunk and played wiffle ball in the alley all day and drank and didn't get it going for quite some time. they were late to the wiffle ball scene lol
Very much a country boy. Moved to Chicago for school, Minneapolis for work and then Cincinnati for family.

Roller hockey was the best.

We lived about 2 miles from a skate rink that our group spent many a Friday and Saturday nights at. That's where we learned to talk to girls... they were plentiful there.

I'm very fortunate to have had the childhood I did.

Roller hockey was the best.

We lived about 2 miles from a skate rink that our group spent many a Friday and Saturday nights at. That's where we learned to talk to girls... they were plentiful there.

I'm very fortunate to have had the childhood I did.
We’d have killed for that rink. We played in the street. Two orange cones and a piece of wood over the top for goals. Those plastic orange pucks that would crack or tennis balls when we were out

Reactions: Baller23Boogie
We’d have killed for that rink. We played in the street. Two orange cones and a piece of wood over the top for goals. Those plastic orange pucks that would crack or tennis balls when we were out

Oh, we played in the streets as well.

My best friend still plays hockey, so he had the whole setup as a kid, including nets.

We were big time.

• Love
Reactions: mcmurtry66
Ha it’s funny. I think of my old man teams and can’t imagine doing that with hockey. My buddy (edibles guy) his little bro still plays old man ice hockey and the owner of the cardinals’ is on the team. Out there mixing it up on the ice old as shit
Oh, we played in the streets as well.

My best friend still plays hockey, so he had the whole setup as a kid, including nets.

We were big time.

I played way more whiffleball after I stopped playing baseball and had my own transportation. Later as "adults", whiffleball morphed into HR Derby with a cooler of beer.

This dude seems to have the right idea

I grew up in the 70's in Irvington and Warren Park so we literally had dozens of places to play all kinds of outdoor sports within a short bike ride. IPS 77, 57, 86 and Howe High School...Holy Spirit, Our Lady of Lourdes and Saint Bernadette Elementary Schools...Ellenberger and Christian Park, Pleasant Run Golf Course and miles of green space along Pleasant Run Creek/Parkway.

Our Wiffleball and Kickball games always incorporated a dodgeball component as baserunners could be putout directly from distance by a well aimed throw.

Our Wiffleball and Kickball games always incorporated a dodgeball component as baserunners could be putout directly from distance by a well aimed throw.
We'd usually only have 4 people playing. 1st and 3rd in our yard were 2 big maples. You could throw out runners in any regular situation by drilling the tree before they got there. Second base and home were dodgeball situations.

Downside was that fly balls often resorted in some Flying Wallenda inspired tree climbing to get them knocked loose. Had to hit liners, especially if the grass needed to be mowed.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT